Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Stray Kitten

RaYne
November 2nd, 2011, 03:43 PM
My hubby text me today telling me he found a stray kitten (about 8-10 weeks old)in the engine compartment of their work truck. He figures she crawled up in there after they parked the truck at the job site.

Currently he's set her up in a cardboard box with a blanket in the back seat.. he's bringing her home after work.

I already have a room setup for her, with litter, food and water away from my existing cats and dog. I'll be making a vet appointment as soon as I can to get her checked out.

Basically I'm wondering if it would be ok to bath her? She's got motor oil and tar on her. Tar is from my hubby's hands, he's a flat roofer. lol Plus I'm not sure if she has fleas.. I don't want to stress her out more but a bath will be neccessary at some point but I'm thinking it might be easier if it's done right away.

What do you all think?

Love4himies
November 2nd, 2011, 03:52 PM
Yes, she will lick up the toxins. Can you call your vet for a shampoo recommendation? Perhaps just dish washing soap???

Your hubby is an :angel:, give him a big hug for me.:grouphug:

And of course we will need pics :D:p

Personally for flees, I would use kitten Revolution (not adult, it may be too strong). It starts working immediately and is more effective than shampoo.

RaYne
November 2nd, 2011, 04:11 PM
I have dawn dish soap. The vet said flea shampoo would be fine too.. but I'm not 100% sure how old she is so I figured I'll use the dawn. Might help get the oil out of her fur too and I'll pick up some revolution tomorrow.

Hubby text me a pic. She's a calico. I'll take pics once she's settled in. She has some gunk in the corners of her eyes, might be from being in the engine? But he said her poop is normal and her ears are clean.

My hubby is a softy. He cuddled with her during his lunch hour with her in his shirt. :p He usually works late.. so he probably won't be home with her until about 8pm or so.

My teenage son had me move everything into his room. So she can cuddle with him if she wants tonight. If all goes well we will more than likely keep her. I'm worried about the eventual introduction to Harley. But we will cross that bridge when we get to it. ;)

Koteburo
November 2nd, 2011, 05:21 PM
That baby calico has a lucky star. First finding you and your husband and then being taken out of the car engine. A lot of kitties die that way by accident.
My parents have rescued many kittens and about the same age sometimes and yesh giving them a bath sometimes it's necessary and it's ok.
I LOVE calicos and I agree with Love4himies your hubby is an :angel:
Thank you both for taking care of her :lovestruck:

chico2
November 2nd, 2011, 05:25 PM
Rayne,that little one had an angel looking out for her,your husband:grouphug:
Not only was her life saved,but she'll get a loving home too,could not be any better.
Looking forward to pics..

BenMax
November 2nd, 2011, 06:24 PM
What do you all think?

I think you and hubby are absolutely AWESOME!
Wish there were more people like you out there.:thumbs up

Love4himies
November 2nd, 2011, 06:47 PM
I think dish washing soap will be good to get the grease out and it's non toxic to your kitty.

This just brings a great big smile to my face :lovestruck: :grouphug:

RaYne
November 2nd, 2011, 08:01 PM
He's still not home yet... not until about 9:30pm. He said she was purring up a storm and kneeding all cuddled up in his coat. LOL

The only reason they knew she was there is that they heard her meowing. He said she was so crammed up in the engine they had to grab her by the tail and back legs to pull her out. They couldn't get her any other way.

I'm assuming she is someones pet.. she's definitely not feral. But he said noone in the area new who she belonged to. I'll get my vet to check for a chip just in case..

RaYne
November 2nd, 2011, 11:35 PM
This baby is super tiny. I'm thinking more so 4-5 weeks. :mad: She has a full belly and is sleeping now. :lovestruck:

hazelrunpack
November 3rd, 2011, 12:00 AM
Oh, bless you and hubby for taking her in! Did you need to bathe her? Sending along lots of :goodvibes: for the little one!

growler~GateKeeper
November 3rd, 2011, 12:25 AM
Please be sure to dry & warm her thoroughly after the bath, kittens (& puppies) can become chilled & get sick very quickly.

:thumbs up to your hubby for rescuing the baby. Can't wait for pics :goodvibes:

Winston
November 3rd, 2011, 07:09 AM
Rayne your hubby is an angel! do you think because of her young age there may be more babies in the area? :(

RaYne
November 3rd, 2011, 10:55 AM
We thought the same thing. He's checking for more today. He's going to be at the same job site for a week. So if there is more he should see them. I told him to bring them home and we will find homes for them. Can't keep them all. :p

I let her have free run of the bedroom lastnight. I wanted to see if she would use the litter. She didn't. She stayed behind my sons bed and used that area. It's carpet so that's a big mess I cleaned up this morning. So I had to set her up in a cage. We bought our ferret a new single level cage (she's older and was falling down the levels) so I had the 3 level cage here and there is lots of room for her in there. Just until she's using the litter then she will get the bedroom again.

When she's loose in the room she's skiddish and runs and hides from us. In the cage she purrs and rubs and kneeds. So I think she feels more secure in the cage.

I didn't bath her last night. She's a bit dirty but not too bad. Hubby cleaned her up as best he could. After seeing how small she is I was scared to bath her and chill her. Plus I figured the dryer would freak her out and I didn't want to leave her damp. I checked her over and didn't see any fleas or flea dirt.

I'll get pics this afternoon.. I can't believe how tiny she is. She fits in one hand.. and I have small hands.

RaYne
November 3rd, 2011, 11:49 AM
Well here she is. She looked White/Black/Orange when hubby text me the pics yesterday. But she's got tabby spots too. So I guess she would be considered a Torbie.

Hard to tell how small she is in these pics. I'll have to take a pic of her next to a pop can. I'm guess she's about half a pound. Fuzzy but skinny and I can feel all her bones.

In Jail...
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r75/Lyn2216/Kitteninjail.jpg

Her markings/color
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r75/Lyn2216/Kitten.jpg

Nervous until I open the door, then she turned into a puring love machine. LOL
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r75/Lyn2216/kitten2.jpg
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r75/Lyn2216/Kitten1.jpg
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r75/Lyn2216/kitten3.jpg

Koteburo
November 3rd, 2011, 02:09 PM
OMG! How adorable. She's soooooooooo cute!!!
I'm really loving this thread. Knowing some people like you do this out there makes my day and a happy story like this :cloud9:
I hope that IF there are more kittens around your husband can find them.

Blessings for you guys~

Love4himies
November 3rd, 2011, 03:24 PM
Oh my, she's a little doll :lovestruck::lovestruck::cloud9:.

BenMax
November 3rd, 2011, 03:45 PM
Adorable!!!

chico2
November 3rd, 2011, 05:52 PM
Om My,what a little beauty,I hope she's not only 4-5 weeks old...if she climbed in to that engine on her own she's probably older.
I don't know if you have had kittens before,but you'll have to put her in the litterbox a few times,maybe show her how to scratch, before she gets the hang of it and she will .
A crate is probably a good idea for her to feel safe.
Maybe also a quick vet-visit,to make sure she does not still need to nurse.
You and hubby are wonderful for caring:grouphug:

Love4himies
November 3rd, 2011, 06:02 PM
Om My,what a little beauty,I hope she's not only 4-5 weeks old...if she climbed in to that engine on her own she's probably older.
I don't know if you have had kittens before,but you'll have to put her in the litterbox a few times,maybe show her how to scratch, before she gets the hang of it and she will .
A crate is probably a good idea for her to feel safe.
Maybe also a quick vet-visit,to make sure she does not still need to nurse.
You and hubby are wonderful for caring:grouphug:

Excellent suggestions, chico :thumbs up

As for the nursing, I think this kitten will be able to "survive" without being nursed, however, kittens usually nurse at bedtime until they are 12-14 weeks old. That tells me that momma's milk is still a requirement for healthy kitten growth and teeth development. With the fosters that I have gotten at this size without a momma, I've added a milk replacement, that I got from my vet, to their canned/raw food. It can't hurt for this little sweetie to get a bit more calcium for a couple of weeks.

hazelrunpack
November 3rd, 2011, 11:18 PM
She's a doll, RaYne! :lovestruck: And so very, very lucky!

growler~GateKeeper
November 3rd, 2011, 11:57 PM
My goodness she's adorable! :cloud9:

Marty11
November 4th, 2011, 08:44 AM
She is "Precious" so glad she met you guys....:thumbs up

diandpat
November 4th, 2011, 09:50 AM
Oh my word...she is just perfect :lovestruck: Bless you for saving her life! :pawprint:

I really hope there are no more out there but that is great that you are prepared to help them out if there are...thanks :highfive:

Koteburo
November 4th, 2011, 11:38 AM

YES! That's exactly what I do with the kittens I've taken care of. You should really give this suggestion a try :thumbs up

RaYne
November 4th, 2011, 11:54 AM
So far he hasen't seen anymore, but they are looking and checking the engine before they leave the jobsite just in case one sneaks in there.

She's using the litterbox when she's in the cage. When I let her out to play she doesn't know enough to go back to the litterbox, but I can tell when she's looking to potty and I place her back in it. She'll use it and go play some more. So she's learning, she just needs to learn to go back to it on her own. Until she is I'll keep doing what I'm doing until she figures it out.

She's coming around to us now. Not hiding so much when she's out in my son's room. She loves the cage I think because she feels secure in it. She's VERY affectionate now. :lovestruck:

And yes she has tried to nurse on my hand/arm and she's not drinking water that I've seen but she is on wet/canned food and she's peeing so she must be getting enough water from that. Or she is drinking and I haven't seen her?

My vet is booked until mid week so I'm going to pick up some de-wormer today (I'll ask about milk replacer) and get her in as soon as I can. She doesn't have fleas surprisingly and I did bath her yesterday.. didn't see any or any flea dirt. Speaking of the bath she was purring when I was lathering her up. LOL I've never had a cat that purr'd during a bath.

And I change my mind about her being someones pet. She's never been in a house... or EVER seen a litterbox or even seen/smelled cat food and didn't know how to eat out of a bowl or saucer. The ONLY reason they caught her was because she was in the engine. They never would have got ahold of her in the parking lot. I had trouble catching her in my sons room. I'm honestly surprised she wasn't feral.

After googling how to tell kitten age. 5-6 weeks sounds about right. 5 weeks said steady on their feet, and 6 weeks said very active.. gaining about a pound a month. She's smaller than she should be weight wise but I'm thinking that would be lack of nutrition.

RaYne
November 4th, 2011, 11:58 AM
I've never had a cat have kittens or had young kittens and all the other strays I've brought in were someones pet before they were dumped so they knew what a litterbox was. So this is a learning experience for me. But she's slowly getting it. :fingerscr

Love4himies
November 4th, 2011, 12:06 PM
So far he hasen't seen anymore, but they are looking and checking the engine before they leave the jobsite just in case one sneaks in there.

She's using the litterbox when she's in the cage. When I let her out to play she doesn't know enough to go back to the litterbox, but I can tell when she's looking to potty and I place her back in it. She'll use it and go play some more. So she's learning, she just needs to learn to go back to it on her own. Until she is I'll keep doing what I'm doing until she figures it out.

She's coming around to us now. Not hiding so much when she's out in my son's room. She loves the cage I think because she feels secure in it. She's VERY affectionate now. :lovestruck:

And yes she has tried to nurse on my hand/arm and she's not drinking water that I've seen but she is on wet/canned food and she's peeing so she must be getting enough water from that. Or she is drinking and I haven't seen her?

My vet is booked until mid week so I'm going to pick up some de-wormer today (I'll ask about milk replacer) and get her in as soon as I can. She doesn't have fleas surprisingly and I did bath her yesterday.. didn't see any or any flea dirt. Speaking of the bath she was purring when I was lathering her up. LOL I've never had a cat that purr'd during a bath.

And I change my mind about her being someones pet. She's never been in a house... or EVER seen a litterbox or even seen/smelled cat food and didn't know how to eat out of a bowl or saucer. The ONLY reason they caught her was because she was in the engine. They never would have got ahold of her in the parking lot. I had trouble catching her in my sons room. I'm honestly surprised she wasn't feral.

After googling how to tell kitten age. 5-6 weeks sounds about right. 5 weeks said steady on their feet, and 6 weeks said very active.. gaining about a pound a month. She's smaller than she should be weight wise but I'm thinking that would be lack of nutrition.

I've had some feral litters that have taken weeks to learn to use the litter box and others that have taken to one right away. I think it depends upon what surface they were using outside.

If you are interested, now is the time to get her on a raw diet. It is really the best thing for them. If you are feeding canned, then I really do suggest some KMR added. Kittens need a lot of fluids for growth. :lovestruck:

RaYne
November 4th, 2011, 01:30 PM
At first she was trying to get back behind the bed. That's where she pottied the first night but I have blocked that area off and shampoo'd the carpet. That's when I clued in what she was doing and put her in the litterbox. She uses the litterbox 100% when she's in the cage so I think it's only a matter of time before she gets it.

I'll pick up some KMR since I'm going to the vet anyway for de-wormer. Just waiting for hubby to get done work. Hopefully he's not too late tonight.

I have thought about feeding RAW and I did for awhile. I was making my own until my grinder broke. We tried Nature's Variety and the cats didn't like it so we went back to canned.

Love4himies
November 4th, 2011, 03:04 PM
At first she was trying to get back behind the bed. That's where she pottied the first night but I have blocked that area off and shampoo'd the carpet. That's when I clued in what she was doing and put her in the litterbox. She uses the litterbox 100% when she's in the cage so I think it's only a matter of time before she gets it.

I'll pick up some KMR since I'm going to the vet anyway for de-wormer. Just waiting for hubby to get done work. Hopefully he's not too late tonight.

I have thought about feeding RAW and I did for awhile. I was making my own until my grinder broke. We tried Nature's Variety and the cats didn't like it so we went back to canned.

My cat's didn't really like NV either. Most of it was freezer burnt. I make my own and the feral kittens that I foster just love it.

RaYne
November 8th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Fecal test showed no worms? Is that possible? We dewormed her anyway. I'm guessing the diarrhea was from the switch to canned food and the garbage she was eating. I have her on canned Canidae, the chicken and rice formula. She eats quite a bit but only poops once a day.. normal? Or is she getting constipated?

She's been here for 6 days now. I'm leaving her out of the cage for short periods unsupervised and keep checking on her. So far so good. I sit in there with her alot and she seems to be going back to the litter when she needs to. I also re-arranged my sons bedroom. With his bed in the corner against the wall she was constantly trying to get behind it. So I moved it to the middle of the room with just the headboard against the wall. Now she doesn't bother.

BUT she's beginning to develop a URI, Not too bad.. more like a flare up than a full blown URI. Slightly runny nose, gagging, swallowing hard, the odd cough and red eye rims with the odd sneeze here and there. I kind of expected this would pop up.. I'm just hoping it stays mild.

hazelrunpack
November 8th, 2011, 10:44 AM
If cats are anything like dogs, yes it's possible the fecal test showed no worms even if she has them. Sometimes you have to hit the timing on the worm life cycle just right to see them.

Sorry about the URI. I hope she kicks it quickly! But it sounds like otherwise it's going pretty well? :fingerscr

Love4himies
November 8th, 2011, 12:42 PM
I sorry to hear about her getting sick. :grouphug: :goodvibes:. Yes, it is possible to have worms and not have any show up on the fecal test.

Although I do believe Canidae is the same as Felidae, it is actually intended for dogs and not cats. I would be worried about the manufacturer changing the formula, making it not nutritionally complete for a cat.

RaYne
November 9th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Sorry it is Felidae.. :o Wasn't thinking when I typed that. lol I wanted to stick with a chicken and rice. I thought Wellness might be too rich for her. Now that she's adjusted to cat food and not garbage, :yuck: I'll try some different proteins.

Well it's been one week today. She wants free run of the room but I'm still unsure if she will go back to the litterbox. Most of the time she holds it until I put her back in the cage, even though she has 2 litterboxes. One in the cage and one out of the cage. :confused: If I put her back in the cage she will pee then want back out. LOL I'm worried if I just leave her out and she pees on the carpet it will be difficult to find the spot since the carpet is dark blue.

Maybe she's not 100% ready yet? It has only been a week.

Love4himies
November 9th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Do you have another kitten litter box that you can bring out of her room while she is free?

I have found once a kitten learns that the litter box is the place to go, that they have always run back to a litter box. However in my house there are 3 rooms that would have them :o.

With Malcolm and Matilda, two kitten rescues that were the longest to teach to use it (because they were born outside like your kitten), that once they learned to use the box in their cage, they did so when they were free too.

Rosebud, I had a horrible time getting her to use one (she was born inside a home, so not too sure what that was about) and ended up using a tinfoil can pan that had very low sides. I also had to use a vinegar/alcohol based cleaner to clean where she would pee to stop her from going to the same place again.

Hopefully this link will work and you can see the litterbox in the upper left hand corner:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showpost.php?p=775138&postcount=318

RaYne
November 9th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Yup she has 2 litterboxes in her room and she has went in on her own a couple times. I should probably just stop putting her in the litterbox and see if she does it on her own more often. I think I'm just worried about her having an accident and undoing the progress she has made.

Koteburo
November 12th, 2011, 01:33 AM
How's that lucky little princess doing lately :cat: ?

RaYne
November 15th, 2011, 01:17 PM
She's doing awesome! 100% littertrained now and gaining weight. She's up to 1 pound 8 ounces now. The vet figured she was 5 weeks when I got her.. so she will be 7 weeks tomorrow.

She's the most bonded to me since I spend 90% of my time with her, feed her and play with her. She has a tendancy to run from everyone else.

She's terrified of Harley, but he's very excitable and loves cats. So far they have only met while she's in the cage. He moves fast and it freaks her out. I have also introduced her to my parents 2 cats Demon and Louie. (My hubby and I stay in the lower half of the house, my elderly parents have the main floor) I just opened the door and let her see them. She did ok.. very defensive but Demon and Louie are pretty laid back. She will now venture out into the hallway with them but stays close to her room. I had them all playing together with string. lol

Next step is to continue to get her used to Harley and bring her downstairs in the cage to meet my cats. Kiki and Lucy... My biggest problem will be Harley.. if the cats run he will chase them. That's how he plays with Kiki.. they chase back and forth. I know she will run so that's why I'm only introducing them while she's in the cage so far. I've done the swapping blankets with each others smell on it.. She's fine with that, it's just the sight of them. LOL

Love4himies
November 15th, 2011, 06:22 PM
I am so glad she is doing so well :thumbs up

At that young age they are pretty easy to introduce to other cats as they are not seen as a threat, but a pain in the butt :p.

You know they grow up so fast and if you don't take lots of pics and share them with us, we'll miss her growing up:cry: :D

growler~GateKeeper
November 16th, 2011, 01:15 AM
Does the wee one have a name yet? I think it's also about time for some new pics :goodvibes:

chico2
November 16th, 2011, 08:43 AM
I have not been on here very much lately,but I loved reading about the little princess,I am really happy she's doing so good.
I never had any real problems introducing a kitten to my mature cats.
When I got Vinnie,Rocky took to him right away and Vinnie followed him like a shadow and did for the rest of Rockys life.
Chico 9 years later still does not like Vinnie,but no fights.just a bit of hissing..

RaYne
November 16th, 2011, 11:15 AM
I was calling her Bourbon, since she was found in the engine of a Suburban. lol But it doesn't really suit her.

I've backed off a bit on the introductions. Lastnight she re-directed on me (biting and scratching) after playing under the door with Demon.. she was way too worked up and I tried to move her away from the door. She didn't do any damage to me.. I don't even have a scratch but she definitely was overstimulated and got a little crazy.

None of my cats are acting aggressively towards her, so I'm not too worried about them. It's just Harley, our English bulldog. He will chase if she runs even though he loves the cats but she is terrified of him. When they met (with her in the cage) there was alot of hissing and swatting and spitting from her and Harley whining. lol

The only idea I have is to keep introducing them while she's in the cage until she settles down around him, this way there is no running/hiding and no chasing from Harley. :shrug:

Koteburo
November 16th, 2011, 06:22 PM
I'm so glad to read about her little adventures getting to know the other fur babies in the house.
Well she'll get there, with the cats seems it will be easier but you'll see she'll get used to your doggy as well no doubt and you seem to put a lot of care an attention to all the introductions ♥
It's just that now she has such a BIG family :lovestruck: but it's just a matter of time~

I support the pics petition!