Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

husky pup (6months old) keeps using carpets as toilet.

pap.ryl
November 1st, 2011, 05:05 PM
Hey,
this is my first post on this forum.
My husky pup is 6 months, and keeps going to the toilet on my downstairs carpets, even after she has been let out to go to the toilet, which I take her out to do every few hours or when she shows she needs out, but will still go to the toilet when she comes back in.
I have tried using vanilla extract on the carpets to mask her scent but it didnt work.
My carpets are ruined as I have been cleaning them daily with carpet cleaners.she does it worse after I have cleaned them.
my partner thinks it is a way of showing her dominance over me, but Im the dominant in everything else, and she does listen to me when i tell her commands.She just refuses to stop using the carpets as her toilet.
I dont want to have to let her be an outside dog but im running out of options and ideas to make her stop.
Is there any reason why she is doing this?
any answers will be welcome.
Thankyou.

breeze
November 1st, 2011, 05:23 PM
Hi and welcome to the board.

have you ruled out any medical problems??
also is your dog fixed??

also you will have to use an enzyme cleaner to really clean and get the smell out of your carpet. test a small area before doing the whole carpet just to make sure that they are compatible.

some carpet cleaner smell can be a trigger for them to go pee..
I use to use a floor cleaner and ever time I did my dogs would pee right after, so I switched cleaner and it stopped

Loki Love
November 1st, 2011, 05:41 PM
In addition to the advice already given, I'd keep your pup tethered to you while in the house - never let her out of your sight so she doesn't have the chance to go on the carpet. Also, make sure if you catch her in the act you don't scold or punish - simply try to get her attention and then get her outside to finish. Potty training is hard but you will get there with patience and consistency :)

BenMax
November 2nd, 2011, 01:12 PM
If the dog is going on the same carpet, same area it is because the smell is still there.
I would go back to basics; 101 house training.