Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Missing grey male cat in Pierrefonds Quebec

MissingMax
November 1st, 2011, 06:01 PM
We have lost our cat in Pierrefonds. His name is Max, he is a one and a half year old male cat, grey, INDOOR cat. Not fixed. We love him very much and are heartbroken that we can't find him. His sister is beside herself, she keeps pacing the apartment, meowing, looking for her twin brother Max. We think he may have gotten on the balcony and jumped off. He has been missing since October 31st. Please, if anyone has seen this poor lost soul, please let us know. The area is the corner of St. Jean's and Pierrefonds Boulevard.

diandpat
November 1st, 2011, 10:25 PM
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=69919&highlight=finding+lost+cat

I am so sorry...I can only imagine how distraught you must be. Please see the link above...there are many excellent suggestions that might help you get Max back. I live west of you but will definitely keep an eye out.

Good luck!:goodvibes:

MissingMax
November 1st, 2011, 11:39 PM
Thank you for the link. I`ve been out looking for hours, put up posters, asked everyone I`ve met on the street, called the SPCA, the shelter, the local animal hospitals. Tomorrow I will call the city. I see so many postings for missing cats that are years old, and the cats have never been found. It makes me lose hope. I rescued these two kittens when they were only 4 weeks old. I taught them how to drink, how to use the litter box. I love them so much and to lose one is breaking my heart. The other cat won`t stop looking for her brother. Her heart is breaking too. I can only pray that she is found.

MissingMax
November 1st, 2011, 11:40 PM
**I only hope that HE is found.

growler~GateKeeper
November 1st, 2011, 11:53 PM
If you can put his litterbox and/or a worn but unwashed t shirt or pair of smelly shoes of yours out on the deck this may help lead him home :fingerscr

Go around the neighbourhood at dusk/dawn calling him, rattling a treat container or tap a spoon on his dish or tin of food. Bring a flashlight to pick up the shine off his eyes from under cars/decks/bushes or up trees.

If you can poster the neighbourhood, plus leave one w/ local businesses, pet supply stores, grocery stores, vets & all animal shelters in the area that will help garner attention that this kitty has a home who wants him back

This is a scary time of year with lots of loud bangs since people are setting off fireworks at all hours, be sure to poster the surrounding areas as the noise may scare him farther away than you think he may be. Again check frequently with all animal shelters.

Please visit the animal shelters in person often times the shelters are understaffed/over worked with so many animals/requests etc they may not have the time to personally look into each phone call or an emergency/something comes up in the meantime & the request gets overlooked.

Going in person means you can visit & identify the cat right away, if an animal comes in terrified it may act out of character & be labeled as sick or a feral and not be placed with the general population please ask to see these areas as well.

:goodvibes: & :fingerscr

MissingMax
November 2nd, 2011, 08:40 AM
Thank you. I put some food and water outside last night, along with some treats and the tshirt I had been wearing all day. Still no sign of him though :(
It`s hard when you live on the third floor of an apartment building. He can`t just come home that easily :(

diandpat
November 2nd, 2011, 10:08 AM
Thank you. I put some food and water outside last night, along with some treats and the tshirt I had been wearing all day. Still no sign of him though :(
It`s hard when you live on the third floor of an apartment building. He can`t just come home that easily :(

Oh Lord...do you think he jumped from the third floor balcony? Maybe he only made it to one of the balconies underneath...di you ask those neighbors? He is probably not far at all...check arond the perimeter of the building. Don't despair...many cats dDO come back too :grouphug:

hezbglad
November 2nd, 2011, 12:07 PM
I just read on facebook that there is a deceased cat near overpass on the 40 east near woodland. I PRAY this is not your beautiful baby. It IS a pretty long way...indoor cats that escape don't usually go very far.

hezbglad
November 2nd, 2011, 12:14 PM
i just went back and checked and it says it is a longhaired gray cat, so hopefully it isn't Max. Praying for his safe return.:pray:

BenMax
November 2nd, 2011, 02:09 PM
Post on Petluck.ca.
Also, have you contacted the MSPCA?
Who has the contract for your municipality?

MissingMax
November 3rd, 2011, 08:39 AM
Day 3 of this ordeal. Thank you all so much for all of your suggestions. I have tried everything and still I can't find my baby.

The only way Max could have gotten out is by jumping or falling off the 3rd floor balcony. It was Halloween night, and my daughter and her friends were off and on the balcony all night, calling to their friends outside, and just basically being kids. We think he may have gotten out during this time, and unfortunately with all the excitement we didn't notice the cat missing until late that night. By then he was gone. Our balcony is not that high, as the "first floor" is in the basement. I don't think he could have gotten hurt, but it's never happened before so I can't say for with any certainty that he didn't.

I don't know what to do anymore, except keep posting my flyers and looking for him. I've made all the calls I can think of. It's killing me to think he's out there somewhere, scared and lost :( It's so hard to look at Tilly (Max's sister) and not cry. They were always together, and we would lovingly refer to them as "Thing 1" and "Thing 2", or "Tweedle Dee" and "Tweedel Dum". Now she's all alone.

Loki Love
November 3rd, 2011, 08:50 AM
Don't give up - keep posting ads on Craigslist and around your neighbourhood. Keep checking at different rescues (and yes, go in person). He may be hiding in someone's shed, garage and they don't even realize it yet.. hang in there!

diandpat
November 3rd, 2011, 08:58 AM
Make sure Pierrefonds Vet Hospital has a picture to post on their bulletin board. Did you post on Petluck? They are an online Lost Pet sight...it's free and couldn't hurt. At least the weather has been very nice so he is not freezing. Really go out early morning and late at night and shake Temptations. He is probably scared...too scared to come out on his own.

Good luck...stay strong!

MissingMax
November 3rd, 2011, 09:14 AM
I posted on Petluck yesterday thanks to an earlier response from Ben Max.

I just want to give a "shout out" to Mr. Luc at the city of Pierrefonds who is helping me find Max. His compassion and empathy are much appreciated right now. He told me that he too has 2 cats and can feel my pain and will talk with 3 of his colleagues and make sure that they are aware that Max is missing, and he will call me as soon as he hears anything. He also mentioned that because of Max's age, and the fact that he isn't fixed, he is most likely just out having the time of his life with his new girlfriends. It's hard to think of your baby that way :eek: but I guess he IS a male afterall. I feel terrible at the same time if he gets some female cat "in trouble", but what can I do, except make sure this never happens again. If Max ever comes home, first thing I am doing is getting him a collar with tags, and then calling the vet for an appointment.

Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement.

BenMax
November 3rd, 2011, 10:12 AM
Did you contact the Montreal SPCA? Also, go there physically and look. I was there last week and the stray department is full.

diandpat
November 3rd, 2011, 11:43 AM
At 18months old he is more than old enough to have already been fixed...why wasn't he? Is his sister? He is most definitely getting some poor female feral "in trouble"...more little kittens to freeze to death this winter :cry:

Sorry, I just don't understand why you would not have fixed him. I would also suggest microchips for both cats...not expensive and very helpful.

FYI Animal Control for Pierrefonds:

Controle Animal Vaudreuil/Soulanges
1269 Harwood
Vaudreuil-Dorion, QC
450-510-1508

www.canindusuroit.com

MissingMax
November 3rd, 2011, 12:42 PM
I got his sister fixed the day after I lost my job. I didn't have the money to do both, so took care of the female because I thought that was the most important. And seeing as they were never supposed to go outside, I thought I'd have Max fixed as soon as I could. I'm a single mom doing the best that I can.

Love4himies
November 3rd, 2011, 12:47 PM
Being an un-neutered male he may have followed his nose to a female in heat. That can be quite a distance, which I understand to be about a 5 KM radius.

Good luck.

BenMax
November 3rd, 2011, 03:51 PM
I got his sister fixed the day after I lost my job. I didn't have the money to do both, so took care of the female because I thought that was the most important. And seeing as they were never supposed to go outside, I thought I'd have Max fixed as soon as I could. I'm a single mom doing the best that I can.

There are fondations within the Montreal area that will help if you are on a fixed income. You must qualify of course.
Also, if you get your cat back, let me know and I will arrange to have your cat sterlized for a very reasonable fee. Or at least I will head you into the right direction. Sound good?

BenMax
November 3rd, 2011, 03:52 PM
FYI Animal Control for Pierrefonds:

Controle Animal Vaudreuil/Soulanges
1269 Harwood
Vaudreuil-Dorion, QC
450-510-1508

www.canindusuroit.com

Oh nooo.
Well then I suggest the OP gets down there ASAP. Time is of the essense.

MissingMax
November 3rd, 2011, 04:27 PM
BenMax, Thank you so much for the information. Trust me, if Max comes back I will definitly get him fixed. That's my number one priority. That and a collar with name tags. In life you have to expect the un-expected, I never thought I'd lose him, but things happen that you are not prepared for. With all that's been going on this week, I managed to pull off an interview yesterday, red eyed and all, and was offered the job which starts November 14th. I had been doing contract work in the meantime, but the paycheck was unsteady and 300+ to have Max fixed just wasn't in the cards. Things are starting to look up, if only Max would come home!!!!

Can you please tell me what you meant by this:

Oh nooo.

BenMax
November 3rd, 2011, 04:49 PM
come home!!!!

Can you please tell me what you meant by this:

Oh nooo.

It means that they euthanize after 3 days I believe. You need to bring them a picture and physically check.

MissingMax
November 3rd, 2011, 05:05 PM
I just got off the phone with them, and they seem to be on top of their game because as soon as I told her my name, she said right away "The grey cat, right" (I had called there a couple of days ago.) She also told me that even though the city only requires they keep the animals for 3 days, they actually keep them much longer than that, and not to worry , she will keep her eye out for him. I will still go tomorrow morning and check and leave Max's picture with them. Thank you so much for all your help and suggestions, they are appreciated!!

chico2
November 3rd, 2011, 05:13 PM
Definitely go to that place right away and check for him,it's horrid that Animal Control only give them 3 days...

I was thinking too,he might have gotten hurt jumping off the balcony,his first instinct then would be a safe place to hide in the bushes somewhere.
I would go out after dark with a flashlight,check every bush....I am hoping he's not hurt,but you never know,they don't always land softly on their four paws.

MissingMax
November 3rd, 2011, 05:28 PM
Chico2, that is also a concern of mine. I know if he was hurt he would probably drag himself into a hiding place and lie quiet, so I have checked under decks, barbqs, bushes, sheds. But there are just so many places for a little cat to hide, I feel like it's looking for a needle in a haystack. I'm fairly confident that he didn't hurt himself in the jump / fall, as I could probably jump off this balcony and not get hurt. But, the not knowing is killing me!!!!

chico2
November 3rd, 2011, 05:45 PM
I can certainly imagine how you feel and hope and pray you'll get Max back.:grouphug:
Like the others have said,it's very important that you go and see for yourself,if the shelters like ours here have 200-300 cats,maybe several greys,it's very difficult for them to know if one of them is Max.

just read your post,I am glad you are going down there:thumbs upGood Luck!!

diandpat
November 10th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Any luck? Any leads? How is his sister holding out?

MissingMax
November 11th, 2011, 07:34 PM
No leads at all. He is still missing and I look for him everyday. I get calls from people thinking they've found him, but it never turns out to be my Max :(

His sister still looks for him. She was never a clingy cat, she was always very independant, but now she is always on me, always wanting attention. Sometimes she gets these crazy bursts of energy and runs across the room, up onto her perch, and then she looks behind her to see if Max is giving chase. She forgets sometimes that Max is gone, and I do too. Every morning when I wake up it hits me again.

I just wish he would come home!

hazelrunpack
November 12th, 2011, 12:12 AM
I'm sorry to hear you're not having much luck so far. Are you still checking the shelters every day--and in person when you can? Usually shelters are so overwhelmed with stray cats that the staff could easily miss your Max if he came in.

MissingMax
November 14th, 2011, 02:16 PM
#30 Today, 02:06 PM
MissingMax
Junior Member Join Date: Nov 2011

I visit the shelter and the SPCA as often as I can. The SPCA have been great and call me quite often to ask how things are going and to offer more tips and suggestions. I was pleasantly surprised at how nice and helpful they've been.

On my travels through the lost and found animal sites, I came across a posting for a lost cat, a little female who unfortunately has some deformities with her front legs, tail, and body size. The lady who found her had been looking if she had an owner, but she had no luck. She was going to take her to the spca who, due to her deformities, would have more than likely euthanized her. The lady refused to keep her any longer than today, so on the weekend I went and picked up the little cat. She is absolutely beautiful, even though her front legs are very small. I don't think this cat had any affection in it's little life, and it had spent the last two weeks isolated in the woman's little back room alone, with renovations going on in the house, and a loud dog. I have taken her home and will be taking her to the vet tomorrow to make sure she is healthy. She is the sweetest thing, with huge blue eyes and soft fur. She loves to be held, and when I pick her up, she buries her tiny head in my neck and hugs me with her little paws. I am not sure if I can keep her, as I still have Max's sister here and pray for my Max's return everyday.

Sorry for the double post since the picture is so big, it detracts from my plea. I am trying again and hopefully the picture will be smaller this time.

MissingMax
November 14th, 2011, 02:37 PM
Would anyone be aware of any available rescues in the West Island of Montreal?