Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Where to get straw?

Koteburo
October 29th, 2011, 05:21 PM
This might seem unrelated to our forums if you read the title but it's not really...
I'm making a winter shelter for feral cats, well I plan to start soon and I've been checking online for directions there are some good websites there and in a lot of cases you need straw to fill in between as insulator and inside to keep warm (among some other things) so... I live in Calgary and I have no idea where to get straw in here. Does anyone know? Or is there something I can use as a substitute that works just as well? If not I'll just look for the straw but where :shrug:

Mirela
October 29th, 2011, 05:26 PM
This might seem unrelated to our forums if you read the title but it's not really...
I'm making a winter shelter for feral cats, well I plan to start soon and I've been checking online for directions there are some good websites there and in a lot of cases you need straw to fill in between as insulator and inside to keep warm (among some other things) so... I live in Calgary and I have no idea where to get straw in here. Does anyone know? Or is there something I can use as a substitute that works just as well? If not I'll just look for the straw but where :shrug:

Do you have any pumpkin pathches or garden centres nearby? At this time of the year most of them bring in bales of straw for autum/thanksgiving/haloween decorating. Next week they're bound to sell them for a song, if not give them away for free. I've even seen straw bales at Michaels - not for sale, mind you but for decor - doesn't hurt to ask.... after all, starting Tuesday they will toss them in the garbage to make room for Christmas stuff.

chico2
October 29th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Koteburo,we buy it at a feed store here in Oakville,but I am certain nuseries sell it too.

Koteburo
October 31st, 2011, 03:51 PM
Thanks a lot for the tips Mirelo and chico :cat:
This week I'm going to try with a garden center first since it's what I have most available atm.

sugarcatmom
October 31st, 2011, 09:12 PM
Golden Acres Garden Centre usually has straw bales available. I think they're around $8 per bale.

Koteburo
November 1st, 2011, 09:02 PM
Golden Acres Garden Centre usually has straw bales available. I think they're around $8 per bale.

Thanks a lot SCM :) I'm going to write that down and check it out
Everyday I get more and more restless about getting this done since it's getting colder.