Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Grieving a Cat Who's Still Alive

sueburak
October 29th, 2011, 12:30 PM
My situation is a little different. We took in a stray, took him to the vet and had his wounds treated, de-wormed and de-fleaed him and had him neutered. This little guy was very affectionate and sweet, but after 3 months we had to admit that it wasn’t going to work with our other cat. One or the other had to be locked up in order to prevent fights. We did find him a new home but I miss him terribly and feel guilty. Any advice for me?

Winston
October 29th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Welcome! pretty normal feelings I say!

Look at it this way...you found him a forever home and did not have to make a difficult decision. He is safe, warm and with people who love him. What more can you ask for? maybe the new owners would let you visit once in awhile?

Jim Hall
October 29th, 2011, 02:53 PM
i agree wiht winston you did a good thing

Koteburo
October 29th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Well you'll miss him but if you found a good home for him like Winston said he's safe now, and that's a very important thing. He has a place that is is home now, he'll have food and shelter and company so you did a good thing even if you couldn't keep him, you helped him and gave him a chance of a better life quality. :lovestruck:

ohyasayswho
October 29th, 2011, 04:19 PM
If it was me ( and it's not) I would begin to create a storyline for the cat and myself. I doubt I could allow myself to feel compassion for a stray, make a decision to not only take it home and add it to my family but spend money on it to nurse it back to health without a story being written which would end with " and they all lived happily ever after".
Maybe some of the charactors have changed but the "happy ever after" part doesn't and your kindness has alot to do with that.

You did a good thing, letting go can be difficult. And there's the rub.

growler~GateKeeper
October 30th, 2011, 09:39 PM
Take comfort in the fact that he has a home, is no longer on the streets cold wet & hungry. Given how the situation was with your original cat, now there is no stress, tension and upset in the house & that makes for happier healthier pets & people too. :grouphug: Job well done. :)