Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

training time and people!

cashew`smom
October 3rd, 2004, 05:25 PM
We came home today and had this posted to our door!

I think that I speak for several tennants when I tell you that we are getting tired of listening to your dog bark hours at a time. I know that he is cute and that you got him at the SCPA, but he doesn`t seem to be the right type of dog for an apartment. he distrubes us all fequently and that is not fair to us. none of us want to go to the superintendant to complain but we will if this problem continues.
Sorry I don`t want to be mean. You are a nice couple and we like you, but your dog is making our home lives unpleasant.

This note was unsigned and we have went to neighbours to ask if the dog make too much noise, they said nothing. So we aren`t sure what to do!

We are meeting with a dog trainer on Tuesday. Cashew has only been with us for 1 month. She is only home alone for 3 days a week at 3 hours at a time. We have used a collar to spray her when she barks but it doesn`t work!

What should i do? We love Cashew and don;t want to get rid of the dog! but we still need a place to live!

We got a dog zapper! We haven`t used it yet cause it seems so mean. I know that it does work with rescued dog. I would like to try something else. Doing this breaks my heart. :o

I am home for the next week. The DOG WONT BE LEFT ALONE. Today I tried the 5 mins. at a time and she never barked once. Maybe she knows I am in the stairwell, (I am afraid to go to far to distrube anyone) but at this point I am not sure what to do!

Help us!!
help!!

Cflat
October 3rd, 2004, 08:46 PM
If you've called a trainer you've already made the right step. Take a deep breath and hopefully you can correct the problem before it becomes an issue. A barking dog can be totally annoying. I know, I own a Sheltie. :-) Let us know what the trainer says.

mastifflover
October 4th, 2004, 10:54 AM
I hope it all works out for you with Cashew. I have lived through seperation anxiety and you are lucky my neighbours were incredibly nasty about it. Now they regret it because everytime they make to much noise after 11 I call the police and file complaints. I finally ended up using the zap collar but only for about a week then I took out the batteries but would put the collar on everyday he still thought it would zap ha fooled him. Good luck I hope the trainer works for you

cashew`smom
October 5th, 2004, 08:46 PM
I am going to give you an update. We met with the trainer today. First off told me that I was doing well already. Told me that the spray collar might be making the barking worst. She might be barking cause she is annoyed. Who knows?
We tried to put Cashew in a crate...no way she freaked out! I guess being at the SPCA for 10 weeks in a crate would have that sort of effect.
I guess we have to put more time in the training. That she has only been with us for over 1 month. That we will have to wait and see. That if by Christmas, we will have to look into medication.
So I guess I will have to keep doing what I am doing.

Bugsy
October 5th, 2004, 09:05 PM
Awww... poor Cashew. It must be difficult for him to have
been abandoned by his owner after 10 years. Locked up
at the pound for 10 weeks. At his age he is probably afraid
he will be abandoned again. I read somewhere when dogs
get lost from their pack...they bark and the pack barks back..so they can be reunited. Cashew is probably barking
so he can find you.

Does he bark when you are not in the room? Try that first
go into a room and lock him out. First 1/2 hour then longer.
Then make a tape of yourself (this is a toughie) that is
about 1 hour long (get one of those radios that repeat plays the same tape )...talking/singing ect. But the first 3 minutes should be silent...(so it will go on only after you leave)
Next time you go out...leave the last clothes you wore near the floor of the door (so he can smell you) & put the tape to play (so he will hear you).
Maybe you can confuse him into thinking you are just in the other room.