Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy diet

LexiePooBear
October 17th, 2011, 11:06 PM
Help! My 4 months old puppy has decided to not eat his meals regularly anymore. When I brought him home at 8 weeks, he used to eat his food regularly in the morning and at night. Now, he only grazes and eats one full meal. The vet says he's at a good weight and is healthy but I am still worried. Am I being an overly anxious mommy?

hazelrunpack
October 18th, 2011, 09:10 AM
If he's not losing weight and seems healthy otherwise, I wouldn't be too worried. He's maybe getting to an age where he doesn't need quite as much food and he's self-regulating. That could be a very good thing. :D He's also getting toward that teething stage and that could also put him off his food a bit.

Things to watch for, though, would be lethargy, inability to poop, going off his food or water entirely, abnormal (more or less than usual amount) urination, shaking, unexplained panting, sitting hunched.... All those things could be a sign of something seriously wrong.

What are you feeding him, btw?

He sure is a doll!!! :flirt: Welcome to the board. :D

LexiePooBear
October 18th, 2011, 10:21 PM
Thank you for the reassurance! I feed him Royal Canie puppy (he came home with that) and a bit of Merrick can food mixed in. He pooed and peed regularly and is energetic as always so I guess he's fine. I just thought puppies eat a ton more than adult dogs so I was concerned. Thank you for responding Hazelrunpack!