Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I just got a new puppy, is this normal behaviour?

Karsalis
October 3rd, 2004, 04:51 PM
Hi everyone

Yesterday I brought home a baby shih-tzu/bichon boy. He is just such a precious little pup. There are some aspects of his behaviour that is quite peculiar, and different from what I have read in books about tings to expect in a puppy.

When he was with his litter, he was quite an outgoing little guy, he came up to us and was quite friendly.

When we took him home he was very shy and nervous, which is obvious as he was just taken away from his family.

His behaviour is quite interesting though, dont know if this is normal puppy behaviour:

last night we put a comfy bed in his crate, took the door off, and put blankets on top. we placed him in his crate, in the kitchen and he loved his "den". however i think he loves it too much. he is free to come in to his den and leave whenver he wants..but he always retreats back in his crate, either to sleep or just to hang out for quiet time.

last night we kept him in the kitchen with newspaper everywhere. we expected him to cry at night, but he never did! he only cried at 5am and when we went downstairs, he was wide awake with his tail wagging.

he never cries, even when we leave him alone and go to another room. i dont think he really cares if we are around or not. it seems so far based on his behavour that chances for separation anxiety are minimal.

today i am hosting a baby shower and we moved his crate, potty, play toys to a section of the laundry room so that he is not overwhelmed by too many people. he is quite content there. never cried, i visit him every ten minutes. he sleeps ALL the time.

he sleeps about 80% of the time it seems. I brought him out to play and socialize, but after 15 minutes he is tired and whines because he wants to be returned back to his bed to sleep.

We may keep the bed and everythign in the laundry room now, he seems much happier there than he was in the kitchen. he seemed overwhelmed in the kitchen cause it was soo big and started whimpering after exploring a bit. in the laundry room we keep the door open and there is 1 step up to the main hall. he is not big enough to reach it now, but will be soon.

i hope he is ok and that im doing a good job. the laundry room that we sectioned off for him is lined with newspaper and he does a good job settling in there.

at what point can we bathe him though? i started bathing him but he hated the water and didnt stop crying and shaking, so i stopped.

chico2
October 3rd, 2004, 04:59 PM
The poor little puppy :( Maybe he was too young to be taken from his mom??
I would give him a stuffed toy to cuddle up to..
I am not saying you are doing anything wrong,but putting him away in a laundry-room,might just encourage him to cuddle up and sleep all day....
Depending on his age and if he's healthy(I assume he's seen a vet!)I think he needs to spend more time with you,to learn and be socialized.
I could be completely wrong,I am not a dog-owner,just trying to use common sense :p

Karsalis
October 3rd, 2004, 06:13 PM
ive spent quite a deal of time with him. without overwhelming him too much though. whenever i put him on the ground he seems to run to his crate. he comes back out when he is ready though. i dont want to force him out.

he never whine and cries though.

ive kept him in the kitchen with me when i do dishes etc, but he isnt comfortable and starts whining. its only when i bring his crate that he goes in there to rest.

he is 8 weeks old.

Sneaky2006
October 3rd, 2004, 06:56 PM
As Chico said, I don't have a dog either but I was just reading your post and thought I'd add my two cents.
You brought him home yesterday... that to me isn't nearly enough time to determine what his temperment or personality will be like. Take him to the vet to rule out any problems and then just give him some time and lovin. I'm sure he'll come around.

moontamara
October 3rd, 2004, 07:46 PM
Are you 100% sure about his age? I was also told my puppy was 8 weeks old, but when I took him to the vet I was told he was less than 7 weeks. He also slept a LOT, and seemed like the most obedient little puppy in the world -- never crying and not minding being alone -- he slept through the night every night for the first 2 weeks! But then.... when he started to feel comfortable, he didn't want to be alone EVER. He had the worst separation anxiet of any of the dogs I've ever known! He's much better now, but boy was it a surprise after how quiet and good he had been! Anyway, your puppy is quite little so please don't bathe him for a while. Little puppies can get sick very easily -- I learned that the hard way with Casey. You should definitely see a vet in the next few days just to confirm his health is normal and you can ask your vet when it's okay to give him a bath. Is he eating his food normally and stuff like that?

Don't worry about his shyness and tiredness -- there will be days when you'll wish he was still like that!!! :eek:

Bugsy
October 3rd, 2004, 07:47 PM
Hi

Maybe this pup spent his first few weeks of puppyhood in a cage. So it is the only place he feels safe. Time will bring
trust...let him do what feels safe enough to do at his own pace. However remove the crate from the laudry room. You
must encourage him to want to socialize. Put the crate in
the busiest place in the house....I'm sure there will be huge
difference in about 10 days.

PS. Puppies do tend to sleep alot...however I would bring him in to the Vet...just to be sure there is nothing going on medically...

1 more thing, lavish with "Lots of Love" :D of course

Lucky Rescue
October 3rd, 2004, 07:59 PM
Where did you get this puppy? Has he had his first vaccinations?

It sounds like he was not socialized. Little puppies who are properly socialized should be friendly and not timid at that age. His shyness could also be genetic, since people who are breeding mixes to make money care little about temperament or health.

Sleeping a lot is normal, but between naps he should be very energetic and playful.

A vet visit is first on the list. Then this puppy needs to be extensively socialized with everyone and everything as soon as he is finished his puppy shots.

heeler's rock!
October 3rd, 2004, 08:26 PM
I agree with Lucky. Puppies need to be socialized early, and don't baby him! When I got my border at 8 weeks, she was scared of EVERYTHING and wouldn't leave my side. As soon as her last set of shots were done, we went to the off leash park. She was terrified of the other dogs and would try and hide behind my legs. It took every ounce of strength not to pick her up and comfort her, but it was the best thing I could have done. She now gets along with EVERYTHING. Dogs, cats, people, you name it. I just gently gave her a push and got her back out there to socialize. Every week she got better and better. Just don't baby him as that will lead to a lot more problems down the road. Just give him time, he'll come around. :D

moontamara
October 3rd, 2004, 08:30 PM
Do ask the vet to confirm his age, though. If he is less than 8 weeks, babying might be exactly what he needs, and he shouldn't be stressed out too much. Not that I disagree with Heeler's Rock -- when he's had a shot and can be out in the world, go for it! Just make sure he doesn't get too cold!!!

heeler's rock!
October 3rd, 2004, 08:38 PM
True, he needs some comforting now to make him comfortable. Just be sure not to pick him up too much now, and definitely don't pick him up around bigger dogs just because they might scare him. Dogs communicate quite effectively without human interference. Only interfere if your dog is in trouble! :D

Karsalis
October 3rd, 2004, 09:23 PM
Ive moved him to the kitchen now and he still likes to go to his crate when he is tired or wants some peace.

he has had his first shots and i will be taking him to the vet probably tomorrow.

He was quite social and outgoing when i saw him at the breeders though. im thinking he may not be comfortable yet in his new surroundings. hopefully he will be fine.

when he wants to play, he is really playful and just loves everybody when they play with him. i notice this lasts perhaps 20 minutes though before he just plops down and is tired, then he goes to his crate and sleeps or hangs out there for awhile until he is ready to play again.

so far his eating habits are really good. the breeder told us to keep him in the kitchen paper trained and to keep his food with him at all times. we've done that and he eats quite frequently.

in terms of interactions, he seems to want to play and interact on his own terms. obviously forcing him isnt good. he has been good peeing and pooping on papers, and so far he has made a concious effort to pee and poop on the puppy training pad that we placed on a certain section.

so far we didnt want to give him a run of the entire kitchen. we wouldnt want to put paper everywhere and by making the kitchen smaller for him it would help him paper train. as he gets used to going in a specific spot, we can decrease the number of newspapers on the floor and opening up an entire floor area. hopefully this has been a good idea. otherwise i can open up the entire kitchen for him.

my husband and i have been very good about praising him when he does well but i dont think he is too comfortable with us yet.

Lucky Rescue
October 3rd, 2004, 09:30 PM
when he wants to play, he is really playful and just loves everybody when they play with him. i notice this lasts perhaps 20 minutes though before he just plops down and is tired, then he goes to his crate and sleeps or hangs out there for awhile until he is ready to play again.

This is normal for his age. :)

the breeder told us to keep him in the kitchen paper trained and to keep his food with him at all times.

This is NOT good. How are you going to get him regulated for housetraining if he's eating all the time? I would give him 4 meals a day, at the same time every day. That way you will know when he needs to go out and can anticipate it.

Unless you are planning to have him use papers all the time, you need to train him to go outside and you can't do that if you never know when he needs to go.

I wouldn't pay attention to anything this "breeder" told you. Someone who is peddling mixed breed dogs for $$$$ is not someone I would want advice from.

Karsalis
October 4th, 2004, 08:02 AM
Im going to start feeding him a few times a day now. he has been really good today. he is more adventurous and plays outside his crate. i think what he likes is a warm rug though. we've placed a rug under his crate and i notice he only plays in his crate, on the rug, and on the newspaper.

i called him to come out to where the tiles are, thats where is food bowls are, so that he will venture elsewhere. he doesnt seem to like the tiles and after he eats he plays on the paper or the rug.

he is so smart and today, he has peed and pooped only on the training pad.

chico2
October 4th, 2004, 08:44 AM
Karsalis,it seems to me you are very good at taking advice,reading your later posts,it also seems puppy is doing all the right puppy-things :D
Still,a vet-visit to make sure everything is on the up and up,is important,many time breeders will tell you what they think you want to hear,just for a sale.
So,good luck with the little one....a picture would be wonderful :)

Karsalis
October 4th, 2004, 12:45 PM
I just went to the vet! vet says that he is a healthy well behaved pup. he didnt even squirm or cry at the vet. he was such a good boy, and after awhile just fell asleep.

I must say he is such a smart boy. He is getting used to his new surroundings now and is more adventurous in the kitchen. He loves to play with his toys and can entertain himself for a long time. He is teething and can get nippy when he is too excited at playtime. We need to find a way to correct that.

krdahmer
October 4th, 2004, 01:00 PM
Well welcome to you and the little guy! (I'm with Chico and I have cats myself so often can't help in the advice department...but I'm seconding the request for pictures!!! We all love puppy pics!!! ;) )

GsdDiamond
October 4th, 2004, 01:55 PM
He's a little too young for teething, but most pups like to play with their mouths...I have the battle scars to prove it!

My Diamond, like your little tyke, slept a lot too, would sleep through the night (most of the time) and couldn't be bothered if you were in the room or not.

You sound like you have a little angel for a puppy. Same as everyone else....PICTURES!!!

glasslass
October 4th, 2004, 06:09 PM
Oh yes!! Pictures! He sounds really sweet!

Shelby
October 4th, 2004, 08:27 PM
Its the calm before the storm! Izzy and Wilson were also very quiet in the first week after we brought them home, but once they felt comfortable, the craziness started!! I say enjoy your puppy while he is like this, because in a week or so, you'll probably start to see his outgoing personality again!

Karsalis
October 5th, 2004, 08:03 AM
I've posted some photos of Jet here:

http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?showSlide=true&Uc=bw3wpex.a3yiqhr5&Uy=-4x421a&Upost_signin=BrowsePhotos.jsp?showSlide=true&Ux=0

I didnt know how to shrink down the image to make the avatar.

He is becoming quite playful and outgoing. Still doesnt cry at night, which is good, and he just loves to play! He still doesnt feel confident venturing away from his play area to the other side of the kitchen and sticks to where he feels comfortable. Even when I set him down elsewhere, he runs close to his bed and plays around there.

He is starting to get attached to us and today actually wimpered when I left for work. I tried minimizing my leaving by not making any eye contact with him before i left.

One strange thing about him is that he doesnt like treats at all!

chico2
October 5th, 2004, 08:38 AM
What a little cutie :D He looks perfectly happy and comtent on your lap.
As for treats,my one cat does not like treats either,but likes everything else :D Give this little guy time,one day you'll wish he was as calm as he is now :)

Writing4Fun
October 5th, 2004, 09:47 AM
One strange thing about him is that he doesnt like treats at all!
Just give him a little time. ;) Phoebe wasn't thrilled with treats either when we first brought her home. I thought, "Wonderful! A dog that is praise driven instead of food driven. No problems with her stealing food from the kids, or getting up on tables and counters. Boy, did I ever luck out!". She's now almost 6 months old, and nothing could be further from the truth. She has turned into a stomach with legs. I'm pretty sure she'd sell me to the devil for a nice chunk of Rollover. :rolleyes:

By the way ... what a cutie pie!! A face to melt the heart, that's for sure! :D

Karsalis
October 5th, 2004, 10:04 AM
he hates baths too!! especially when i pour water over him. the vet says i should keep trying anyways. its so hard cause he cries and screams and shakes.

any advice on bathing him? i think he hates baths soo much toys wont work. would it help to fill up the tub with water and just let him play around a bit?