Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

bunny question

meggie1425
October 3rd, 2004, 03:09 PM
I was just on Petfinder.com, looking at the lop rabbits, and on the note for one of the rabbits it said this:

Notes: Mason was orginally born in a barn. He is a male and will be neutered prior to adoption. He is litter trained. He lives free range although has a dog crate where he naps in. Loves attention. Gets along well with cats.

Does free range mean that he doesnt live in a cage, and is free to wonder around the house?(like a cat or dog would) Is that safe for a bunny? (im just wondering, because ive never heard of this before). How would this work? would there be a litter box, and then a food and water bowl (or would that be in the dog crate??) Of course im sure having a free range bunny would also depend on the type of rabbit, like a holland, or french lop would probably be better then a dwarf rabbit?? im very curious about this...

MBRA518
October 3rd, 2004, 03:52 PM
Actually I'm interested too.. I'd love to have a free range bunny - like the one in that comic strip on the weekend "for better or worse" but is that a real expectation - or just a cute comic strip character?

CyberKitten
October 3rd, 2004, 08:10 PM
Hi,

I shared my life with a bunny who had the run of my home for practically his entire life - and he lived to be 13!

It is not unusual at all for people to have bunnies that live with them in much the same way as a dog or a cat. These bunnies never go outside of course (this is best for safety reasons, needless to say).

You can litter train a baby bunny in the same way you would a kitty or puppy. Rabbits make absolutely wonderful pets. Many do not care to be picked up and are not lap animals per se but they will do it in their own way and their own time. Bunnies are extremely intelligent animals and keeping them in a cage is imho, cruel!! They need exercise and lots of love and good care.

Send me a private message if you want more info or check out the Rabbit House Society at http://www.rabbits.org

Try helping a bunny. You'll have a friend for life!

CyberKitten

nobdysangl8503
October 3rd, 2004, 09:30 PM
I actually have three bunnies...(they are just the coolest) well...actually..i had three bunnies...i saddly just lost one...she was only 9 months old...she died of an upper resperatory infection...My other two...one is a holland lop(as was the one that passed) and one is a dwarf...they each have their seperate cages but i do let them run the house when i am home...it is perfectly safe to let them run free...as long as power cords are covered and nothing for them to get into....they LOVE to chew...i leaned this the hard way..i do cage them at night while i am sleeping..(My bun that passed had free run ALL THE TIME) and because of this i had to replace the base boards in the apartment im living in...if your thinking about adopting a bun bun...make sure you have LOTS of time to spend with it...they are very sweet cuddly animals when they want to be and they make you work for their trust..Just give them time and they will love you back the same way you love them...mine give me kisses :p ;)

Mittens&Lara
October 3rd, 2004, 10:28 PM
I've had a few bunnies in my lifetime. The first rabbit I ever had was a small dwarf. She was litter trained - very easy to do - and had the run of the apartment all day, even when we weren't home. She was caged at night only. However, yes, rabbits love to chew, specifically on phone and cable cords, sometimes electrical cords, but I think they can sense the higher voltage of electricity in them and tend to avoid those. They also love to chew on fuzzy rugs...and edges of furniture. My second and third rabbit were offered freedom from the cage a few times per day for a few hours, but we kept an eye on those ones. Less chewing was noticed. Rabits make beautiful pets, as long as you care for them well. They're devoted and love attention. They should always be kept in a room where you tend to spend most of your time. They hate to be segregated from people and tend to feel neglected when you do that. If you keep them clean they don't smell at all. Feed a rabbit lots of hay and some oats as a treat. My rabbits all ate Martin's rabbit food and very rarely ate vegetables. They turned their noses up at most veggies, expecially carrots and lettuce. My vet said it was because they were getting everything they needed from their food. I just donated my last rabbit cage to the Humane Society. I've got a cat now - I couldn't handle the shorter lifespans of bunnies. I was devastated when each one of them passed away. They were the best pets I've ever had though. My cat is a bit nuts and I can't stuff her in a cage when she's being naughty, but I still love her to bits.

CyberKitten
October 3rd, 2004, 11:28 PM
Hi,

I enjoyed reading the posts about your bunnies. My beloved bun was my sweetheart too and I was absolutely devistated when he died!! He lived to be elderly in rabbit years and I suspect I thought he might live forever. He was energetic even into his later years and so it was a shock when he bacame ill.

I mourned him for a very long time!! (and it has been over a year!) We buried him on a woodlot we own where some wild bunnies roam so he would not feel too alone. He was a timid sort - as some bunnies are - though he could certainly hold his ownwith other animals. (But I'd never leave a rabbit alone with a cat or a dog!!)

I still have a bunnyproof home. He always thought the telephone was competion for my attention and he inevitably would chew the cord. (I took to buying them at the dollar store, lol). I used to get a bunnysitter when I was away but on one occasion, I arrived home and he was in his large but comfortable bunny crate. I made the mistake of answering the phone before letying him out and he was so mad at me that he the the container off its mooring and came over to me, looked up and stomped.

He was a tad spoiled, lol

He got most of his nutrients from rabbit food too but he would eat lettuce and carrots and celery. He loved potato chips and Lucky Charms but they had too much sugar for him. He turned his nose up at the so called gourmet bunny food promoted at pet stores.

Amazingly, he never chewed my computer cables even though he spent hours beneath mny computer hutch as I typed or programmed. He loved to chew my socks though!

I recently posted a picture. Let me see if I can find it.

Kindest regards,

CyberKitten

CyberKitten
October 3rd, 2004, 11:34 PM
Here is my Tanner:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3779&stc=1

I hope you find a bunny!!

CyberKitten

meggie1425
October 4th, 2004, 04:06 PM
Thanks, CyberKitten (Tanner is ADORABLE!!), mittens@lara, and nobdysangl, I had no idea bunnys could be free range, they would be the perfect pet for me, because im not able to get a dog, and cats shed, and would not be safe around my birds. This is good, because there are so many bunnys in humane societys and rescues, waiting to be adopted. I thought that rabbits liked being held, a friend of mine had a lop rabbit (not sure what kind) and it sat in my lap for at least an hour while i was watching t.v. What is the average life span of a rabbit?? i too am very devestated when a pet dies. Thanks again!!

MBRA518
October 4th, 2004, 04:59 PM
Thanks, CyberKitten (Tanner is ADORABLE!!), mittens@lara, and nobdysangl, I had no idea bunnys could be free range, they would be the perfect pet for me, because im not able to get a dog, and cats shed, and would not be safe around my birds. This is good, because there are so many bunnys in humane societys and rescues, waiting to be adopted. I thought that rabbits liked being held, a friend of mine had a lop rabbit (not sure what kind) and it sat in my lap for at least an hour while i was watching t.v. What is the average life span of a rabbit?? i too am very devestated when a pet dies. Thanks again!!

while a bunny would be safe around the birds.. I'm pretty sure they shed quite a bit.

meggie1425
October 4th, 2004, 06:05 PM
I know they would shed, but not as much as cat would. Also, ive heard that bunnys are good for allergy sufferers, and although im not allergic to cats, other people in my family are :(

nobdysangl8503
October 5th, 2004, 11:59 AM
yea..bunnies do shed...but not bad...mostly if they are being pet...or if they get scared and run...and the females go thru a stage where they want to make a nest(almost as if they were expecting) and they pull the hair out from their chest,back and hind legs...this is completly normal...they will find a place that is secluded from everything and will be very territorial about it...if they happen to do that..dont move the fur untill they lose interest in it because if you do they will do it again and again and it could make them have bald spots...youshould keep the fur in a baggie(it will be clean and very soft) and when you notice them doing it again...lay the fur out wherever they are doing it and it should stop them from pulling out alot..again...My Asia used to do this and she would sleep in it..it was the cutestt hing...she started pulling other things in there with her...socks...pillow cases...towels...i actually found my harness for scoota in there when i was cleaning it out one day...i thought it was quit funny...well good luck...

---these are my bunnies..the white one is Asia-sha sha- shes passed..she was 9 months old..she was my baby...my Angel...the black one is Scoota..shes 3 months old..and the grey one is Tiny...hes three years old(my old man) lol

meggie1425
October 6th, 2004, 04:08 PM
nobdysangl8503, all 3 bunnies are SOOOOOOOOOOO cute!!

nobdysangl8503
October 6th, 2004, 07:44 PM
my pride and joy right there!! :D