Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How far along could she be?

wildkat
October 13th, 2011, 04:33 AM
Hi, I have been adopted by a young cat, she turned up about 2 weeks ago and we have been looking for an owner, but nobody has come forward, so it looks like sheís staying. When she arrived she was thin (not overly so) and very active, now she has got quite round in shape to the rear of her abdomen and likes to lie on the sofa watching tv. I think she may be pregnant. She is very young, i would say less than a year old, and she keeps ďstealingĒ our neighbours 8 week old kitten.
I have been feeding her kitten food since Iíve started to suspect. How far along could she be? I donít want to feel for kittens as i donít know what iím doing. Iím going on holiday in a few weeks, will she be ok in the cattery? I have 2 dogs and 3 cats (all mine are spayed, as will this one be when her kits are weaned) and they will be going to kennels/cattery the week iím away, but I donít want to have to move a nursing queen and little ones.
Any advice appreciated.

sugarcatmom
October 13th, 2011, 07:32 AM
A vet would be able to tell you more accurately if she's actually pregnant and how far along she might be. When she rolls over, can you see her nipples?

She really should be tested for a couple of the serious contagious feline diseases before you have her mingling with your other cats.

And if she really does end up having kittens (although if she isn't too far along, may I gently suggest you consider having her spayed and the kittens aborted?) you won't be able to take her to a cattery. You could either have someone come stay at your place or hire a pet sitter to stop by at least twice a day. Or cancel your trip.

wildkat
October 13th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Thanks, yes I can see her nipples when she rolls, she is booked in next tuesday for injections, but i don't think they will be done if she is pregnant, though she can be tested for and ifectious illness's. All my other pets are spayed/neutered and fully vaccinated and i have her confined to the utility room until vets. Poor puddy.
It was the cattery i was thinking about, if she's going there i'll need to book, but one of the others from the sanctuary has offered to take her if she is expecting, but doesn't want her to have her kittens there.
I have plenty of room for a few more kitties, and was thinking of taking another 2 from santuary anyway, so i'll get her spayed after weaning or asap if she's not expecting, but i really think she is.

sugarcatmom
October 13th, 2011, 04:50 PM
Thanks, yes I can see her nipples when she rolls,

Are they pink? It does indeed sound like she might be preggers. "Pinking" occurs around the 3 week mark of pregnancy. By the time weight gain becomes noticeable, it's usually about 5-6 weeks along. So you may only have 3-4 weeks before she gives birth (cat gestation is around 9 weeks). When is your trip? How long will you be gone?

she is booked in next tuesday for injections, but i don't think they will be done if she is pregnant,

Ya, definitely NO shots if she is pregnant. Not all vets follow that rule so make sure they don't just go ahead and vaccinate.

It was the cattery i was thinking about, if she's going there i'll need to book,

Most catteries require all cats be vaccinated, so it may not be an option for her anyway. And they may also not accept pregnant/nursing cats to begin with (not wanting to be liable for a riskier than normal situation. It's also a lot more work.). Depending on the timing of her pregnancy and your vacation, it may be too stressful for her to keep transporting her around. Appears that you'll have some serious thinking to do. I know if I were in your situation, I'd be inclined to cancel my trip if I couldn't find someone to stay at my house. Good luck! I don't envy your position.

wildkat
October 14th, 2011, 03:51 AM
Thanks guys, you have more or less confirmed all my own thoughts.
Cancelling the trip is a no-no, its a family trip to the sun with hubby and 4 kids and if i said i wasn't going over a kitty I would probably be divorced/disowned lol

I don't want to put her in the sanctuary, It's a great place, but its not the best place for her to have kittens.She is a real sofa cat.
I do have one option and that is to let my sister take her and look after her and the babies, until the babies are well up and kitty is settled with them.
As I said, she has been stealing next doors kitten, so i'm hoping this is a good sign for her future motherhood.

sugarcatmom
October 14th, 2011, 07:23 AM
I do have one option and that is to let my sister take her and look after her and the babies, until the babies are well up and kitty is settled with them.

I think that's a great idea! :thumbs up Your sister would be an angel for helping you and momma-kitty out. Do keep in touch here and let us know how things go. And have a good trip!

wildkat
February 15th, 2012, 05:00 PM
Just thought i'd update, Kitty (now called Kathy) is happy and healthy, and completely part of the family. She was indeed expecting, but was approx 2-3 weeks, extremely malnurished and had several parasites. I discussed things with the vet and decided the best thing for kathy was to abort the kittens and spay. She recovered quickly, had injections, was wormed and deflead and kept on a kitten food diet until her weight came up to standard.
We didn't have to go to the shelter for another kitty either. Kathy adopted my neighbours kitten, she kept stealing him and i would have to take him home a few times a day. So now Roger also lives with us.
Big happy family. The mice population has certainly dipped in our barn and I get them as presents.

:grouphug:

hazelrunpack
February 15th, 2012, 05:56 PM
What wonderful news about Kathy, wildkat! Thanks for the update. :)

sugarcatmom
February 15th, 2012, 07:11 PM
So glad you gave us an update! And very happy to hear that Kathy (and Roger) are doing great. :thumbs up

Love4himies
February 16th, 2012, 06:56 AM
Thanks for the update and I am so glad it turned out so well for Kathy!