Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Goodbye our best red boy.

Goldfields
October 10th, 2011, 10:17 AM
I haven't said anything but our lovely 15 year old boy, Perkins, has been steadily deteriorating over I guess the pass week, to the point this weekend gone where he could not stand up, and if helped up, could not balance and stay upright for long. So we both decided to make the final hard decision and send him on to be with his sister, Susie, and my other dogs at the Rainbow Bridge. He went very peacefully , we still cried buckets of tears, but he was a great dog, a champion in every way, and I am glad that he had a wonderful life. It is absolutely no consolation that we have Jarrah, no dog can replace him, I think when that special dog comes along you can only be thankful you got to share part of your life with it. R.I.P. Matey.

Winston
October 10th, 2011, 11:05 AM
GF I am so sorry for the loss of sweet Perkins. I was just getting attached to him and his new matey Jarrah! God he was a beautiful boy. I love that picture! his stance is so nice and his face is quite beautiful.

It is the hardest thing to let them go but we have to hope that there will be some peace some day! I am encouraged with the thoughts of how delightful the Rainbow Bridge sounds! and am hoping that all of our beloved pets are running free of pain and waiting for us to come and be reuinted with them.

RIP sweet boy! you are now your family's angel!

:rip::dog::candle:

marko
October 10th, 2011, 11:38 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss Goldfields, please accept my deepest condolences.

:rip: sweet Perkins :candle:

Sincerely,

marko

hazelrunpack
October 10th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Sad news, GF. :grouphug: He was a grand boy! It hurts so bad to let them go, even when it's the right thing to do. :2huggers:

:candle: Perkins

Shaykeija
October 10th, 2011, 03:57 PM
I am sorry for your loss....:angel2::dog::rip:

Bina
October 10th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Oh, you have been through alot the past week or so.....Perkins was indeed such a handsome dog.
Sincere condolences and sympathy on his passing. Rest in peace Red Boy.

Goldfields
October 10th, 2011, 07:19 PM
Thanks everyone . I know you'll all understand it when I say I could hardly bear to see him fighting so hard to do the normal doggy things. I know someone who has taken a dog on to nearly 17 and she finds it acceptable that if it can't get up it can toilet where it lies, she just cleans up after it. Not for my boy though, it was stressing him out, being unable to stand or walk. The effort was stressing him physically also seeing he had a heart condition. Anyway, I'd told his breeder emphatically that we were in no competition to see who could have the oldest dog, that he'd go when I knew it was time. It'd have been wonderful if his sister could have lived as long as he did. Life's just full of these sad events though if you have animals. :(

pbpatti
October 10th, 2011, 11:11 PM
What a sad, sad day on pets.ca.....Goldfields, I am so saddened to hear of the passing of your Beautiful Red Boy. Good bye Perkins run free...:angel2::rip: patti

growler~GateKeeper
October 10th, 2011, 11:45 PM
:rip: sweet :angel2: Perkins :candle: He is playing at the Rainbow Bridge (http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html) with those who've gone before :candle: :grouphug:

renegaderuby
October 11th, 2011, 12:31 AM
I'm sorry you lost your handsome perkins. I know that is a hole in your heart that can never be filled again. Sending hugs your way...and If its any consulation at all (which I know its not) (he's got a spunky spotted dach (and my other rbridge babies) up there to keep him company.
RIP perkins. (you handsome devil you)

Melinda
October 11th, 2011, 07:34 AM
I am soooo sorry Goldfields, I knew what he meant to you *hugs*.

Longblades
October 11th, 2011, 07:58 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss.

Rgeurts
October 11th, 2011, 09:14 AM
GF, I'm so sorry to hear about Perkins :cry:
I had no idea he was doing so poorly. He was such a beautiful boy. I really enjoyed those pictures of him and Jarrah. It's wonderful that you now have them to look back at and smile once the pain of losing him starts to fade a bit. BIG hugs to both you and DH :2huggers: :grouphug:

:rip: Sweet old Perkins :pawprint: :candle: :angel2:

Goldfields
October 11th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Thank you everyone. I thought there is enough sadness in everyone's life without I said much about how Perkins was deteriorating, and even now you just don't want or need to know. He left peacefully for the Bridge knowing he was loved and with the taste of his favorite liver treat in his mouth, after a good long life, so I could say this is good, even though the best thing I could wish for is to have the time with him all over again. :cry: He's resting now in our 'Angel Garden' (cum dog cemetry) with his sister one side of him, and my beautiful Sugar the other side, in excellent company. Another angel to talk to when I garden out there.

Dog Dancer
October 11th, 2011, 12:31 PM
GF, I'm sorry I didn't get to reply to this sooner, but you know my heart is hurting for you. I'm so glad though that you gave Perkins his wings with dignity. You are a wonderful caring mom to do that for him. How sweet that he went with all your love and liver! I will make sure to bring Shadow's favourite treat with me when her times comes, it's a wonderful idea. Big hugs to you at this terrible time, I'm glad to hear he's resting forever in your garden with his sister and friends though. :grouphug::grouphug:

Sylvie
October 11th, 2011, 06:40 PM
I am so sorry for your loss GF. It is never easy even when we know it is the right thing to do. :grouphug:

Goldfields
October 12th, 2011, 11:01 AM
I HATED doing it, even though I knew I must. You've had your share of sorrow though too, Sylvie, judging by your list of departed pets.
To give credit where it's due, DD, I got the idea of the special treat at the end off an ACD owner in America, I think she said her dog was sent to the Bridge with a mouthful of cheese. :)
I have decided I might plant a lemon scented geranium(pelargonium?) on Perkin's grave because he's the only dog I had that wanted to eat them. LOL. He would grab great mouthfuls of it and act as if it was the best treat ever.

doggy lover
October 12th, 2011, 04:57 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss Goldfields my thoughts are with you:angel2:

Goldfields
October 12th, 2011, 06:58 PM
Thanks, doggy lover. I was just thinking that there is something wrong with the system so to speak when dogs only live 15 to maybe 20 years at the best, yet my sulphur crested cockatoo is 36 years old and likely to live to 100. Not real fair , is it?

doggy lover
October 12th, 2011, 07:43 PM
I hear you like my daughters love bird I have ended up adopting that can live till its 40 but my big dog that I loved so much only had a life expectancy of 10 years and died at 9 1/2 not fair at all.

Dee-O-Gee
October 12th, 2011, 09:47 PM
I've been away from Pets for a bit but am sadden to hear of your loss GF.

Love the idea of planting lemon scented geranium in Perkins memory. Something such as this or a picture collage always adds warmth to the heart when least expected.

:candle: Sweet Perkins :candle:

:grouphug:

lindapalm
October 12th, 2011, 10:58 PM
He was a beautiful dog, Goldfields. He looked like a very strong one, too. I, too talk to our dog every time I garden in her spot under a tree. Take Care.

Goldfields
October 13th, 2011, 05:08 AM
Dee-O-Gee, I used to love fooling around with Paint Shop Pro and my photo's, so a collage isn't out of the question, all I need is time. :)

lindapalm, I used to see his grandsire in the showring and marvel at how wonderfully his owner handled him, as Sunny would gait fast from the start, leading out like a Shepherd, but the truth was his owner and I were just along for the ride with these two red boys. Perkins was like his grandsire even as a Baby Puppy, at 3 months, and I spent all his life just trying to keep up with him. :D A person who merely held him outside the ring commented on how strong he was - boy, I should have let her handle him inside the ring. I'll admit it, maybe he'd have suited a male handler better. I think it made it all the worse to see him going downhill at the end. :(

Dog Dancer
October 13th, 2011, 10:35 AM
GF - go with the lemon scented geranium! I have one of those at home, so I'll think of Perkins every time I go by it now.

Goldfields
October 13th, 2011, 08:02 PM
That's very nice, that he'll be in someone else's thoughts as well as mine. :) You're a lovely lady for sure. I'll do it, I have two to put into the ground, shifted from near the back door when he wouldn't stop chowing down on them. LOL. Do you have the peppermint scented geranium too? Wow! Has the one got a knock out perfume when touched.

Winston
October 13th, 2011, 08:49 PM
GF your sweet boy will always be thought of from here too! and I am pretty sure many here would say the same thing! its funny so many animals have taken pieces of our hearts it just amazes me!

I have a citronella plant I am not sure if its the same thing or not but I will think of your sweet boy each year too! I have them for keeping the mosquitos away and now I have a nice thought to go with it!!! :thumbs up

I wish everyone that suffers such losses and there have been so many I wish you all peace and eventually many happy memories!

:rip::dog::pawprint:

erykah1310
October 13th, 2011, 09:24 PM
SO sorry to hear this GF...
What a handsome boy he was indeed.
My thoughts are with you

Goldfields
October 13th, 2011, 09:25 PM
I find too that you can get attached to friend's dogs via the internet, Winston. There was a Lab that became an 'honorary cattle dog' on a cattle dog forum in America, and I doubt if I'll ever see a yellow Lab again without I think of dear Buford. Now if it's a chocolate Lab I'll remember your darling Winston too.
I don't know what a citronella plant is but they do nickname the lemon scented geranium the 'mozzie buster' here, so maybe ....? Anyway, if they are two different plants but smelt similar, he'd have probably tried eating the citronella too. LOL. Hey, come to think of it, it was a spray called Laser Lites Bitters, with YUK! written on the label, that contained citronella,( and was designed to stop dogs from chewing things they shouldn't, like the inside of my dog trailer, the bags on the hammock bed etc.) that Perkins ignored and kept chewing when he was a pup. Most dogs would be deterred by it, he chewed the bags, and the spray, until it made him vomit one day, then he never went near it again.

Goldfields
October 13th, 2011, 09:40 PM
He was one of those handsome boys that even my totally non doggy farmer neighbor could see had class, Erykah, but I treasure more the fact that he was so darn easy to live with, and so totally devoted to me. Just somehow doubt if I'll ever get that bond with Jarrah.

Dog Dancer
October 14th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Hey all, yes the citronella plant is the lemon scented geranium. Supposed to repel mosquitoes. My two don't eat mine though. As usual Perkins was just "special" that way GF! I don't think I've ever seen (or smelled) the peppermint ones, but will have to check for them. But I will definitely think of Perkins when I'm convening with my citronella plant from now on! :D

Goldfields
October 14th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Oh, thanks for verifying that, DD. Well, no wonder he had a taste for it after eating all the citronella soaked hammock bed bags as a pup. LOL. What amazed me was the huge mouthfuls of geranium he'd grab and how he wolfed it down, I'd never seen him so enthusiastic about any food I'd given him. :) I had to shift the plants because he was eating them all out of shape and I didn't know if it would poison him.
The peppermint one has a big very soft leaf and you barely have to brush it to have a strong peppermint scent on your hand, it's lovely.

CsqU4r3d
October 14th, 2011, 08:42 PM
I am so sad to hear you have lost your handsome Perkins ... but chuckling at the thought of him with a mouthful of geraniums!! I too will always smile and think of him whenever I see them now,:cry::candle::angel2:

renegaderuby
October 14th, 2011, 10:09 PM
Oh, thanks for verifying that, DD. Well, no wonder he had a taste for it after eating all the citronella soaked hammock bed bags as a pup. LOL. What amazed me was the huge mouthfuls of geranium he'd grab and how he wolfed it down, I'd never seen him so enthusiastic about any food I'd given him. :) I had to shift the plants because he was eating them all out of shape and I didn't know if it would poison him.
The peppermint one has a big very soft leaf and you barely have to brush it to have a strong peppermint scent on your hand, it's lovely.

Maybe perkins wanted to "freshen" his breath :lightbulb: , :laughing:

Goldfields
October 15th, 2011, 08:44 PM
renegaderuby, you're probably right. LOL. (I know he was smart, but was he that smart? :) )

It's nice to be able to remember each of our angel dogs for some cute quirk they had,
CsqU4r3d :) If I think of say Sugar, my vision of her is her tiptoeing furtively about with some treasure in her mouth that she didn't want the other dogs to get, yet her very behaviour screamed "Hey LOOK, Ive got a treasure I don't want you to have". ROTFL. She'd nose a next to non-existent hole for it, put it down sooo carefully, maybe pick it up and take it somewhere else, and all this usually for something the others weren't interested in anyhow. But every dog I've owned had some endearing trait and no doubt you could all say the same.

renegaderuby
October 15th, 2011, 10:48 PM
renegaderuby, you're probably right. LOL. (I know he was smart, but was he that smart? :) )

It's nice to be able to remember each of our angel dogs for some cute quirk they had,
CsqU4r3d :) If I think of say Sugar, my vision of her is her tiptoeing furtively about with some treasure in her mouth that she didn't want the other dogs to get, yet her very behaviour screamed "Hey LOOK, Ive got a treasure I don't want you to have". ROTFL. She'd nose a next to non-existent hole for it, put it down sooo carefully, maybe pick it up and take it somewhere else, and all this usually for something the others weren't interested in anyhow. But every dog I've owned had some endearing trait and no doubt you could all say the same.

Our toby will get a toy, or treat and "very carefully" hide it behind a couch pillow. Then ...after a while..he'll go get it..make a BIG SHOW of chewing, or playing with it (moans, groans..and rolls and so forth)...then will take it and hide it again.
All the dogs are looking at him like "yeah ride dude, like we cant see what your doing".
and he looks ever so "suspisously" at each one of them like "are you looking at me...are you...you are arent you".

Its so funny to watch.

Its nice to know you'll have loads of "memories" for each one (due to antics and just plain ole loving em).

Goldfields
October 16th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Heavens, wouldn't your Toby and Sugar have been a riot together. LOL. Have this vision of them eyeing each other and sneaking in opposite directions. :)

renegaderuby
October 16th, 2011, 11:28 PM
That so made me LOL, and Grin. I've always wondered why some dogs , do what they do. But I honestly think its to "entertain" the humans. Because they are all different..and all special in one way or another. Toby's greatest "antic" is "find the ball". He has a purple jingle bell ball that he is obsessed over. But when your trying to watch tv and you hear , jingle , jingle..and squarsh squarsh (his teeth chewing on the rubbery surface sound)..you want to shove the ball right up his rear. so...we'd take it from him. I set it on the counter top in the kicthen. ...so then he sits and stares and whines. ....so that gave me an idea...to HIDE IT one day..and then say.."find the ball"....he zooms into the room with such gusto (imagine fireman to put out fire) ...and knocks all the pillows off the couch, dumps over the toy bucket and investigates all the corners ect...until he "finds " the ball. Then he is talking, barking, rolling, whineining, throwing, chewing the ball...its like "i found it..oh I found it." .
then we start all over.
It never gets old...and he'll do in nine hundred times in a row.
Once my husband hid it behing him...and toby almost DUG A HOLE in my husbands shirt, trying to get to it. I laughed so hard I cried.

Goldfields
October 17th, 2011, 09:40 AM
:laughing::laughing::laughing: What a great little dog he must be, definitely sent to make you both laugh a lot. :thumbs up

Silk has a funny habit. If you give her floor space on anyone slippery she runs and skids like a kid. But, front feet placed very precisely side by side, head up, and if you laugh it's her signal to ham it up and skid some more. Where that comes from I'll never know . At one show ground, camping in a tent, a friend came in for the evening and Silk had her ROTFL because she jumped up on the bunk and started doing short skids on the edge of it. :D
Silk must have missed Perkins, he was absolutely in love with her. So gentle around her.

renegaderuby
October 17th, 2011, 03:13 PM
:laughing::laughing::laughing: What a great little dog he must be, definitely sent to make you both laugh a lot. :thumbs up

Silk has a funny habit. If you give her floor space on anyone slippery she runs and skids like a kid. But, front feet placed very precisely side by side, head up, and if you laugh it's her signal to ham it up and skid some more. Where that comes from I'll never know . At one show ground, camping in a tent, a friend came in for the evening and Silk had her ROTFL because she jumped up on the bunk and started doing short skids on the edge of it. :D
Silk must have missed Perkins, he was absolutely in love with her. So gentle around her.

Oh yes, he definatly makes us laugh. ROTFL at silk's sliding. All she needs is a number on her back and you'd have doggy skating olympics :lightbulb:, :laughing:. I bet she does miss her handsome sidekick. And there is no way to "explain" to them where they've gone.

Goldfields
October 17th, 2011, 06:18 PM
Rather a sad topic but I sometimes let them see the dog after I've had it put down, and to show how well they understand death, I had two cattle dog girls that always wanted to fight. I couldn't let either loose without it'd be around at the other dog's yard, trying to provoke a fight. Well, when poor Shady had a stroke and I had to get a vet out to put her down, I allowed Sweetie to see her afterwards. Not once did she ever run around to Shady's yard after that, or appear to be looking for her. If I don't do this I just make sure that each dog gets extra TLC and one on one attention in case it does fret for the other dog.

Winston
October 17th, 2011, 06:31 PM
GF :grouphug:

Silk must have missed Perkins, he was absolutely in love with her. So gentle around her. what a sweet boy he was! :thumbs up

Goldfields
October 17th, 2011, 07:07 PM
You'd have loved to see him flirting with my 5 lb chihuahua, Winston. A big, strong male, weighing over 30 kilos, and he'd tiptoe up to her, his rabbit ears on(pricked so high they almost touched), tail wagging, then he'd lick her very softly and gently on her head. A darling boy.

renegaderuby
October 19th, 2011, 04:10 PM
You'd have loved to see him flirting with my 5 lb chihuahua, Winston. A big, strong male, weighing over 30 kilos, and he'd tiptoe up to her, his rabbit ears on(pricked so high they almost touched), tail wagging, then he'd lick her very softly and gently on her head. A darling boy.

OH HE WAS A "LOVE". :lovestruck:. I never thought about letting them say goodbye "after". That is a wonderful idea..and very touching. Should anything happen to this crew..I think I'll follow in your footsteps. It makes a whole lot more sense than "A" leaving ,and then not coming home..and "B" looking for "A" . I know "toby" looked for "chase" for months. He finally stopped. considering we buried him in our back yard, your idea wouldve worked splendidly. I know it was sad to share that, and see the imagry in your mind as you typed that out. So sorry! I know its not easy. So...thank you for sharing that with me about how you let yours say goodbye.

Goldfields
October 19th, 2011, 09:48 PM
My sister lets her dogs see them and know too. They accept it amazingly well and it is kinder than letting them fret. Poor Toby, and what a sweet boy that he cared so much for Chase. It is heartbreaking really, watching them search for a dog that is gone. The only thing worse I've seen with my dogs is a Sheltie girl trying to revive a stillborn pup. Really put me off breeding them. :(

Longblades
October 20th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Thought I would add to letting the companion pets view the body of the deceased. I did that when Jet died after reading that it is recommended for children to attend a grandparent's funeral, even if it is open casket, maybe especially, IF THE CHILD WANTS TO. Apparently it's been found that some children have a hard time understanding where Grandma went and why she never comes over anymore. Children allowed the opportunity to participate in our death rituals seem not to have this problem.

I too have observed remaining pets searching for the departed one. I can't fathom why they look in places the departed pet never went but they do. Under furniture the departed pet couldn't fit under, small, small corners, little wee hidden spots. And they call for the missing pet in a voice I usually have never heard before. Sometimes the searching has lasted a couple of weeks. It must be terrible for them.

Goldfields
October 21st, 2011, 01:29 AM
Silk used to suddenly look under the fig tree here as if she'd glimpsed her mother, Tammy, after Tam was gone. I'm going to feel awfully sorry for the last Sheltie standing.