Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Digging

renegaderuby
September 29th, 2011, 03:51 PM
my front yard looks like hand grenades went off in it. Really...i have DACHSHUNDS...what do I expect. But saydee...missing two toes and all has created, CREATORS in the front yard.
Not a giant deal with the grass being dead from the drought and all..but once we get some rain, and some grass again.... I'd like her to NOT do this.
Tried the "no" , leave it, ect commands that she KNOWS she's doing something naughty...but still does it anyways.
You scold her, she stops for two seconds, and then is back at it. WITH YOU STANDING RIGHT THERE.

anyone succesfully get a dach to stop making the yard look like a ww2 bunker?

sugarcatmom
September 29th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Can you make a spot for her in the yard where she CAN dig, so she can get her diggin ya-yas out in a more controlled manner? Dog Star Daily has a good article on dogs that dig: http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/digging

renegaderuby
September 29th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Well I guess its worth a try. However she's VERY stubborn. Once she decides to do something, she's doing. She "knows" what she's suppose to do, (or not do)..but getting her to actually do or dont do..thats a whole nother ball game. Fiesty , stubborn little booger she is.

We stopped our other digger from digging out of the pen by putting hog wire under about eight inches of dirt...all around where she was digging. Planted grass seed, and kept her away from that area until it was all grown in and looking normal. She went to digging and her nails hit that hog wire...she stopped dead in her tracks.
she still digs a hole here and there...but no more digging OUT of the pen.
Thought about doing the same for where saydee is, EXCEPT leave her a small patch with no wire, so she can dig "THERE" and no where else. But would hate to wire the entire length of her chain..if she goes to dig anyways. (it is possible to dig it all up if she works at it..and believe me she will).

hmmmmm. I'd also hate to buy a sandbox to have her dig sessions, if she doesnt use it, and digs everywhere else. It is a thought tho...thanks!
keep em coming folks! :)