Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Newbie to this Forum

witchy
October 2nd, 2004, 03:09 AM
Hi all I am a newbie to this great Forum, so I hope this is done right!!! :confused:
I just registered about 1 hour ago, and have already got some good ideas. Would somebody please be able to help me - I have just rescued a 7 year male Laso Apsa dog from the Animal Welfare League. Great dog well trained but he keeps on chewing at his paws. I tried mixing up some natural remedies, but to no avail. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanx in advance
Witchy :)

Iggette
October 2nd, 2004, 03:41 AM
Chewing at his paws????
Weird......hope it solvesa itself.....wherew did you get this pup?

witchy
October 2nd, 2004, 04:34 AM
HI there, I got the dog from the Animal Welfare League - which is like the Animal Rescue Homes I think!!! :confused:
He is a good dog, gets on well with our other dog which is a male Jack Russell, which we've had for 12 years, also get on fine with our Blue Russian 13yr old cat. Its just this chewing that is annoying.
bye Witchy :)

LavenderRott
October 2nd, 2004, 07:04 AM
Could be allergies. What are you feeding him?

krdahmer
October 2nd, 2004, 11:06 AM
Well, first, welcome to the forum!!! :D And second I have no dogs, and no doggie advice but I really hope you find a solution!!! :)

Lucky Rescue
October 2nd, 2004, 11:18 AM
Hi and welcome!:)

I agree it sounds like allergies and yes, if you tell us what your dog is eating, maybe we can make some suggestions.

meggie1425
October 2nd, 2004, 11:37 AM
Hi, and welcome!! My friend has the same problem with her poodle mix. He chews at his paws until they bleed, and she said was because he has allergies, but he has been taking a pill for it, and he doesnt do it anymore. Maybe you should take your dog to the vet to be sure.

tyr
October 2nd, 2004, 03:43 PM
Welcome!!! :) I do not have a dog either - though I have had them and I have never seen this before. Just like Meggie I would suggest taking him to a vet just to get a sure answer. When you find out let me know - I am really curious.

Sounds like a great dog!:) I love senior rescues, they always end up being such wonderful pets.

witchy
October 2nd, 2004, 11:20 PM
Hi and welcome!:)

I agree it sounds like allergies and yes, if you tell us what your dog is eating, maybe we can make some suggestions.

Thanx for your reply, I make up Max's food he eats the same as the other dog Gus. Sometimes (raw) chickn fillets, cut up with pasta or rice, or chickn livers, hearts cut with vegies and pasta. All different sorts of homemade concoctions!!! Also dry dog food.
Maybe its the pasta do you think :confused: He only seems to chew one of his paws mainly (back one). I used to feed them cooked meat, but then someone told me its better to give them raw meat - so I'm not sure if I am doing the right thing or not. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I took him to the vet and was told that its a habit he's got into....... Sorry for this long reply.
Thanx again have a good day/nite
Witchy :)

witchy
October 2nd, 2004, 11:27 PM
:p thanx for you welcomes and suggestions.
Maybe I'll have to take him back to the Vet, just to make sure, last time he told me that its a habit he has got into.... (strange habit!!!!)
bye witchy :)