Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kennel Cough...

ThaiGhing
October 1st, 2004, 09:07 PM
At the leash free dog park. Just wondering what the symptoms are??? And if they have the vaccination against that,is there a reason to worry??

Bugsy
October 1st, 2004, 09:47 PM
I don't think so, but I hope to hear responses from others.
I've fostered dogs & puppies with kennel cough & my guys
have always been fine. Now i'm just as curious as you :confused:

downloader
October 2nd, 2004, 07:50 AM
If your dog got the vacc. for kennel cough it should be fine. Its a lot harder to get kennel cough in the park, the dogs are out in the open. Kennel cough happens when dogs are close to each other (like in a kennel). A infected dog will cough and weeze. It takes a long time for the cough to go away, even with meds. How ever you should be quite safe at the park, so go out a have fun with your dog.

www.bluewhippet.net

heeler's rock!
October 2nd, 2004, 09:18 AM
I was told when I kenneled my 2 puppies that even if the got the bordatella vaccine, it's not always effective. They said there are so many strains of it that the one the vaccinate against doesn't always work. She said it wasn't neccessary until they come up with a better vaccine. I've never been told to worry about it at an off leash park. You should talk to your vet.

marko
October 2nd, 2004, 11:23 AM
Hope this helps,
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?threadid=61
Thanks

ThaiGhing
October 2nd, 2004, 02:38 PM
Ok the Kitchener Waterloo Humane Society has temporarily closed its Leash Free Dog Park because of an outbreak of Kennel Cough.

I am not sure how many dogs have been affected. But we usually take Thai there for an hour a day. And the sign went up Friday afternoon to notify us of the Kennel Cough problem. We were just there Thursday evening from 630pm to 730 pm.

Thai has been vaccinated against Kennel Cough, and is not showing any symptoms. How long should I watch him?? Should I avoid contact with other dogs for a few days??

Just curious....Thanks for any info....