Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sitting up (how to stop it)

renegaderuby
September 16th, 2011, 03:00 PM
Ruby learned from pup hood to sit up on her hind legs, put her front paws in the air and "wave" them, to beg. Granted..it was "unknown" to us at the time that she had a bad back, and that to reward her with her "treat" or "pick her up" and cuddle her...was a "BAD" idea.
So..fast forward, she's four. And "knowing" she has bad back and that sitting up like that is a "no no". We've tried the following to try and get her to stop.

Ignore her when she does it (very hard but we do).

teach her other tricks that DO get her attention (she knows nine currently, working on a few more)
Get her to do another trick and give praise and treat. (lather rinse repeat)..hopeing to teach her "i dont have to sit up" to beg.
We've tried ONLY giving her attention when she is sitting calmly..and should she go to sit up...we walk away from her.

She is VERY smart...but this is one thing she "insists " upon doing.

HELP!!!
:shrug: :wall:

FurryMom
September 16th, 2011, 08:56 PM
Is ruby, by chance, a dachshund? Does she know "No"? Telling her no and easing her back onto her front paws might work, eventually. Definitely don't give any more treats when she does it. It seems like you are doing the right thing. But, I think she needs to know that she can't do that. They are very cute when they sit up like that, but it's not good for them. I'm glad my doxie never learned how. Now, I just have to teach him that jumping off the couch is not a good idea.

renegaderuby
September 16th, 2011, 11:51 PM
Yes...she's a doxie (and so is her four house mates..lol). We have the jumping off the couch prob too. But I've solved that one fortunatly. She likes to sqeese in between the arm and my leg while i'm sitting. But if I get up FOR ANY REASON even if its two seconds...she thinks she has to JUMP, and FOLLOW. SO...we finally made a rule. she is not allowed on the couch unless one of us is sitting right there with her and she's wedged . And if I get up for ANY reason, I pick her up and put her down, then get up. TOOK AWHILE to TRAIN MYSELF. Now its instint. I even reach for her when she isnt there (out of habit...lol).

She knows "annnttt" ( a low picthed , your doing a no no comand). I've tried that. She just looks at me like..YEAH RIGHT> ..and continues to sit there like that.
But...maybe pushing her back down WHILE telling her ANNNNTTT, may be the ticket. THANKS. its worth a try, if nothing else.

renegaderuby
September 23rd, 2011, 01:53 PM
UPDATE:
pushing down to the floor and saying "annnnt" has now become a NEW GAME that "ruby" ENJOYS.
SIGH
Insert banging head icon HERE.

I GIVE UP. WAVING THE WHITE FLAG!!!!!!

millitntanimist
October 5th, 2011, 12:01 AM
Hey,
I would go back to ignoring the behavior. Even negative attention is still attention.
If you want, you could try teaching an alternate behavior and asking for it when she is sitting up so she has to break it to offer the other response. Lie down, or touch come to mind :)