Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I don't understand how people

Cinnabear
October 1st, 2004, 02:53 PM
are able to give their dog away because of the dog problems, but then go and get another pup.

This lady gave me her dog who was 18 mos. old at that time in May. Hera has problems. She has eaten her poo and was not fully housetrained. I asked her why she was giving her away, her reason Hera was too hyper for her to take care of because she was also looking after her gs. I find Hera is extremely affectionate, loves to play with our other dog. Also when I got her, I knew she did not go for walks at all.

I saw her yesterday with a 2 mo. pup. :mad: I shake my head knowing that this pup will not go for walks and will be treated the way Hera was. I just don't know about some people.

Jackie467
October 1st, 2004, 03:03 PM
I know what you mean. My uncle did this, I tryed to talk him out of getting the new pup but to no avail, needless to say we don't really get along. What I don't get is if you were having trouble before why wouldn't you now? They must know that the dog was bad because they didn't train it or walk it enough. I mean if the dog isn't walked at all how can you expect it to not be hyper :mad:. If you were forced to stay inside all the time and were never allowed outside to walk don't you think you would have a lot of pent up energy too. sorry for my tirade i just can't stand when people do that. :mad:

tyr
October 1st, 2004, 03:34 PM
My Aunt is like this!! It drives me absolutely mad! She is always getting a new animal - cat or dog (never both at the same time). Then she turns around and gives them away or back to the shelter! I used to really love my Aunt, then like her, then dislike her, now I am bordering on something much more than dislike. I know it is awful but she is not the same person anymore. She did have two cats at one time Luna (my 16 yr old boy cousin's cat) and Nemo ( my 7 yr old girl cousin's cat). My Aunt one day decided after having them much longer than any other animalshe has ever had that she no longer "liked the idea of having 2"!!! She ended up getting rid of the 16 year old's cat because the little one deserves hers more! So fuming mad...... Then Nemo ended up falling out of her bedroom window one night while they were asleep because she likes to sleep with her window open (the window did not have a screen). She thought that because he had never tried to get up on the window sill before that he would not ever do it. Where is the logic in this?

Then they get another kitten and it ends up scratching the 7yr old and my Uncle threw it outside - literally. When the little one had calmed down the cat was then allowed back in. She deserved to be scratched because she was tormenting the little thing or "playing" - so the cat played back. Needless to say they got rid of this one as well. There is a whole history of cats coming in to their homes and then going out. Then they decided to try a dog, because the 7yr old wanted one and well...that did not work out either. After 3 days he was taken back to the shelter - Pure Bred Sheltie.

My Aunt and Uncle have money and apparently they do not like animals that wreck their nice things, scratch their children in play and my Aunt especially hates having to clean up after something too much and that requires too much responsibility. I think they should just get fish - though I am skeptical as to whether or not they even deserve that. I feel sorry for my 16yr old cousin because he LOVES animals and is very good to them.

I wish that they were banned from getting an animal until they proved that they would keep them and be good to them. Unfortunately, that is impossible.

Wow - your one story got me into a whole world of venting!!!! Apologies.

krdahmer
October 1st, 2004, 03:49 PM
OH GRRRR-RRRR :mad: ....that is what happened with the lady I took Buddy from, she went out the next day and got her daughter another kitten so they could start the whole process again for the third time (one neighbour has the first kitten who they found being tortured by neighbourhood wild kids-they were throwing it into freezing water by the highway :mad: :( ...he's doing well now with his saviours)!!! The kid abuses the kitten for six months or so, then when the kitten starts to fight back it gets thrown outside to fend for itself.....hell I was even told that the reason I haven't seen it out on it's lead is because they let it out in the grass right after it was treated with pesticides!!! So now it is sick and staying in the house. :mad: :mad: :mad: And the people across the hall from her are no better, they have a gorgeous little kitten who looks so poorly taken care of, and that lady's kid is the one who wanted to kill one of the kittens I took in because when he picked it up and was rough with it it had bit him!!! (Also the kid involved in teh freezing water incident) :mad: :mad: The stupidity and cruelty of some people astounds me!!!! :( I am trying to get more than just hearsay so that I can take these two cases to the Humane Society and possibly the cops....I'm so tired of people like this getting away with it all!

tyr
October 1st, 2004, 04:33 PM
Wow! Those kids sound rotten - obviously the parents are not much better. With my 7yr old cousin she is the princess and anything wrong that happens to her is a tragedy :rolleyes: I love her to bits - do not get me wrong - she is really sweet and fun, but man do my aunt and uncle ever over react. I am pretty sure that I have just witnessed the best years of my cousins life...she will be a huge brat because of how they treat (over treat) her. She did not torment the cat like those kids....that is awful. She just poked at him consistantly and all the other things little kids like to do when they play with a cat. No mean spirit in it, but I will tell you when that kitten played back and scratched her....what an over-reaction! All kittens play with their claws out, if you do not like this and do not want anyone scratched do not own a kitten. Go and get an already trained, older cat with a personality that suits what you are looking for. Instead he does something that he sees as fun with no vicious intent and gets thrown outside until she stops crying. Thank goodness crying does not take to long to end! My sister ended up taking Luna, my 16yr old cousins cat - bless her heart.

chico2
October 1st, 2004, 04:49 PM
Aw Dahmer,am I glad I don't live there,I would be in killing mode.
I once caught two 9-year-old boys shooting with pellet-guns.They were shooting at a mama Robin and she took refuge in my wood-pile on my property.I heard the shots and I flew outside and caught the kids redhanded,the poor Robin was beyond help and those guns were quickly destroyed over my knee,I was so angry I could have shot those kids full of pellets.
I wrote an article in the paper about the killing of the Robin and her motherless babies and the idiotic parents who buy their sons pellet-guns :mad:

Copper'sMom
October 1st, 2004, 04:55 PM
This is the exact reason why I think people should have to get a licence to own ANY dog. If they have to pay big bucks and have long time waiting periods and testing and training etc, they won't go through all the hassle to get a dog!! Anyone else agree?? People like that make me sick :mad: :mad:

Jackie467
October 1st, 2004, 05:33 PM
I agree with you. It would also cut down on dog fights. but then again they'll just find a way to get an animal illegaly, kind of like drugs. I don't know how anyone could ever hurt and animal, I know that I just couldn't do it to save my own life. i'm one of those sappy people that cry when an animal dies in a movie, even though it's not real.

Bugsy
October 1st, 2004, 11:53 PM
It's so unfair. The only way I stay sane when I hear these stories is to believe in Kharma...and hope one day it comes
back to bite her in the A** :mad:

krdahmer
October 2nd, 2004, 12:22 AM
This is the exact reason why I think people should have to get a licence to own ANY dog. If they have to pay big bucks and have long time waiting periods and testing and training etc, they won't go through all the hassle to get a dog!! Anyone else agree?? People like that make me sick :mad: :mad:
Oh ya and also the reason I think all people should have to have a similar liscence to own a cat!!!! :)