Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Advice about a hard decision

dashn'us
September 10th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Hey all.
I am regretfully writing in on behalf of my Mom today. She has a 11 year old Lakeland terrier, Molly, who is very ill now. The dr's aren't quite pinpointing it for her but she has a failing liver. She's on prednisone now and another medicine (not quite sure what it is) and she is not doing well. She cannot hold her bladder or her feces in anymore. When my mom wakes up every morning she says there are multiple pees and poops all over the place. She also can't process her food anymore, which means aside from throwing up everything she eats(which is only human food now anyway), her feces is green/black liquid. She refuses to eat any dog food and the vet said to just try to make her happy with ground beef/rice/veggies. My Mom said it's not even throw-up that comes out though, it's just the full meal that she ate. Almost like it doesn't even get processed/digested properly.
My Mom is super close with Molly (like we all are with our pets) and she's so torn on what to do. She says that she still likes cuddling and playing with her (although she can't do much) and she says every weekend "I think I'll have to put her down". But I just dont think she can do it. I'm sure some of you have gone through similar things? When do you know it's the end? Any words for her? I don't know what to say it's such a sad story :(

Any advice is helpful. Thanks guys.

dashn'us
September 10th, 2011, 04:29 PM
I forgot to mention that last Christmas she was a healthy 15 lbs, she's not down to 10.5 :( Here's a picture of her last Christmas!

Winston
September 10th, 2011, 04:32 PM
I am so sorry your Mom is facing this decision. I guess we all ultimately hope they will go peacfully in their sleep but most of the time we must help our beloved pets onward.

I am facing this with my lab who has days or weeks I hope. It is very difficult and very much a personally decision but perhaps you could have a conversation about it. Perhaps you could suggest she look at this link:

http://www.veterinarypracticenews.com/vet-practice-news-columns/oncology-outlook/quality-of-life-for-pets.aspx

Most folks say your pet will tell you...I am hoping I will see a sign too so that my boy does not suffer.

You could also suggest that you go with your mom to east the burden.

My thoughts are with you and your family as this is a very difficult decision to make.

dashn'us
September 10th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Thank you for the link Winston. I will pass it on to her. I feel bad for her sorrow. It's just such a difficult decision. Personally, I don't know if I would ever be able to hold them and watch them go. I think it would hurt me forever. But I am there for her whatever decision she chooses.

Dog Dancer
September 11th, 2011, 11:56 PM
Like Winston and you and your mom we are facing this same decision ourselves. I believe that since your mom's dog is no longer in control of her body it may be time. It is the ultimate act of love and kindness to help your dog through this time. I have only had one pet that left us while I was not with her and holding her and I regret that I was not with her to this day and that was 11 years ago. Whenever possible I am with my pets to see them over the bridge. They put all their faith in you that you will do right by them, and I find comfort knowing that I can give them my love and comfort in what has to be a scary time for them. ULtimately it will be your decision, but it is generally very peaceful and not scary for us. I wish you luck with your decisions, but remember, we let them go for their sakes, we don't keep them for our own. Bless you for being there.