Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question re town bylaws

pattymac
September 5th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Wonder if anybody knows about this or what would you do..Not that I'm movong anytime soon!! I always look at city bylaws just to see if any of them are a little more with the times than alot of places, most seem to just copy what everyone else has with the exception of changing the town name!! Calgary seems to be about the only place that is forward thinking with their animal control and policies re animals.

So most places place a limit on the number of cats and dogs you have, which is reasonable in most cases but what if you want to move to a place and have more than the town allows. With me it's the cats, does that mean I'd have to get rid of one or I couldn't legally live there? Do I say screw you, my cats don't go outside so really who's gonna know? I can't remember if t here's a limit in the Hat, I think you can only have 3 dogs or something I don't remember if there's a cat limit. As far as I'm concerned if the landlord is ok with my animals that's all I worry about really.

sugarcatmom
September 5th, 2011, 12:46 PM
I can't remember if t here's a limit in the Hat, I think you can only have 3 dogs or something I don't remember if there's a cat limit.

Here's a pdf of The Hat's bylaws pertaining to animals: http://www.medicinehat.ca/City%20Government/Bylaws/bylaws/bylaw3935.pdf Looks like the limit for cats is 6, unless you also have fosters, in which case you can have 7.

pattymac
September 5th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Thanks...I know I read them before we moved here but I'm good so far!! I think 4 is my hair limit for cats!! Hmm maybe next time I'll go the Sphinx rescue route!! From what I've seen here those are awesome kitties!!

hazelrunpack
September 5th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Eau Claire had a two dog limit and when I called about an exemption (because we were planning on getting a third when they instituted the 2-dog policy), I was told that the exemptions were mainly for people moving into the area who already had more dogs than allowed, but not for residents. :frustrated: And, that being said, there was a story on the news a while later about a family that had been told they could keep their multiple dogs if they moved there, but then ran afoul of the 2-dog rule later on. :yell:

So there may be some leniency for people if they move into an area with a by-law like that but that doesn't necessarily mean they're home free. :frustrated: I guess if I were moving into an area like that, I would definitely not rely on a verbal agreement, but demand something in writing from the powers that be and keep it close at hand. :o

And, as in most cases for limits like these, communities rarely go around policing the law--they'll only be a problem if someone tattles on you. It just strikes me as a really nebulous type of legislation... :shrug:

pattymac
September 5th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Ya I can see it if you let your cats run loose in the neighbourhood but since everyone here is strictly indoors, I don't worry too much. But ya, I would get something in writing first as well!