Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pink blob ON my dog's eye (Pic)

sonicsink
September 1st, 2011, 01:08 PM
Hi everyone,

I haven't posted here in a long time, but I came in looking for some ideas, info, or whatever...

About a month and a half ago after a day at the park, I noticed a tiny white spot on my dog Murphy's eye. I brought her to the vet and after an exam where she stained the eye/injury with a dye, she said it looked like there was a very small puncture wound and that her whole eyeball was a bit swollen. We surmised that while running around in the bushes at the park, something must have whacked her in the eye. We were sent off with meds and a follow-up appointment for the next week.

At the follow up, they did another dye test and eye test and she said the swelling was down and it looked like it was healing well. She still had the white spot on her eye, but it was smaller and the vet said it would probably always be there but it won't affect her vision.

About 2 weeks ago I looked at her eye to see how it was doing and noticed the white spot looked a bit bigger, but thought it was just part of the healing/scaring process. Yesterday however, I was trimming some of her bangs and when I saw her eye I was shocked. The tiny pin head spot was now a big pink blob. I got out the flashlight to have a better look and this blob has veins running down from it. This thing seems to have established it's own blood supply and now I'm worried it's something bad because, don't cancer tumours do that?

I called the vet right away this morning and we have an appointment tomorrow morning at 11am. Please think good thoughts for her. She's a pain in the ass, but we still love her, and she's my other dog's best friend.

Here is a picture of her eye this morning. You can see the little blood vessels going down from it and there is also some kind of weird brownish stain off the the left:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/WaldoB/Pets/MurphysEye.jpg

If anyone has seen anything like this before, please let me know what you think it is, I want to google some info to be prepared tomorrow, but wouldn't know what to search for.

Thank you for any help,
Cindy

hazelrunpack
September 1st, 2011, 02:10 PM
You can see vascularization like that in benign growth, too, sonicsink. :grouphug: When I was wearing contacts, I had increased vascularity in one area of the cornea from irritation due to the lenses. It was out of my field of vision, but would have made my vision 'fuzzy' if it were on a more central part of the cornea. So this may be something similar--a benign response to the injury/infection.

Waiting to find out is the hardest part, I know. :grouphug: At least you'll know by this time tomorrow! Please keep us posted on what the vet says, k? And I hope you get good news :goodvibes:

sonicsink
September 2nd, 2011, 02:52 PM
Thank you for your reply Hazelrunpack.

The vet visit seemed to go well. Someone else told me to look up blastomycosis, and in doing some googling, I found something called Pannus which also fit the description of her injury.

The vet said blastomycosis isn't the first thing that comes to mind when she looks at the eye as it's pretty rare. I mentioned Pannus as well, and she said it is a possibility because of the brown/black stain in the eye (which I found out she has in the other eye as well) but dogs with pannus usually have very dry eyes, and after a tear production test, it showed she made plenty of tears. This isn't to say that pannuns could develop though.

Right now she thinks its just that the injury was a lot more severe than we thought and that the eye is just supplying that spot with more blood to help the healing process, which she says it's not uncommon. Another possibility is corneal dysfunction (I think it was dysfunction) because she noticed the stain on the other eye, plus a small white dot/scar there as well. We froze her eye anyways, and took swabs to be sent to a lab so that we'll know for sure what we are dealing with.

In the meantime I have antibiotics to put in her eye every 8 hours for the next week. Results should be in on Tuesday, and we'll have a follow up appointment on Friday.

hazelrunpack
September 2nd, 2011, 06:15 PM
:fingerscr the antibiotics do the trick!

MaxaLisa
September 11th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Here are pictures of my dog's pannus, when it first appeared. The vet thought it was pannus, and then it was confirmed by a veterinary opthalmologist.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f179/other95/medical/DCP_0276editsmall.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f179/other95/medical/DCP_0279editsmall.jpg

Btw, it completely resolved with treatment at the time, we just used pred drops. Later we switched to tacrolimous ointment, though he seems allergic to that med, so we're back to the pred drops. If I recall, I put them in 3 or 4 times a day initially. Now I just use them twice a day, and, when I think of them, I also use C-Bright drops.

eta: oh, my boy also had the white spots...

sonicsink
September 11th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Just wanted to update that the lab results came back as infection, no pannus or anything else. So now we are on stronger meds. Hopefully they do the trick! Thanks for the replys!

hazelrunpack
September 11th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Good news, sonicsink! Are you seeing improvement with the new meds? :fingerscr

MaxaLisa
September 11th, 2011, 11:04 PM
Just wanted to update that the lab results came back as infection, no pannus or anything else. So now we are on stronger meds. Hopefully they do the trick! Thanks for the replys!

Can you tell me what type of lab test you ran? I'm just curious, since my dog has chronic infections (along with his pannus).

sonicsink
September 12th, 2011, 08:14 AM
Well it does look a little less red, but I'm not sure how long it will take before we see some real improvement. She wants to give it 2-3 weeks to work so our follow up appointment isn't until Sept. 30th.

I'm not sure what kind of lab test it was exactly...they put some drops in her eye to freeze it, and then they swabbed it with a q-tip onto 3 different slides.