Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog leaking urine

Katrina5256
September 30th, 2004, 11:17 PM
I recently rescued a hound mix. She is 2-3 yrs old and spayed. Since I got her she has been leaking urine in little droplets when she is laying down and relaxed. Although it seems minor, if she is laying somewhere and gets up I will notice a fairly large wet spot. The vet told me it would cost me almost $300 just to do tests and they can't even gurantee they will find out what is wrong. I have no idea what this could be from or if it is in fact a medical condition that needs to be treated. I have read before that sometimes female dogs do this when they have low estrogen levels. Any ideas?

Lucky Rescue
September 30th, 2004, 11:19 PM
It could very well be spay incontinence. Usually a course of the male hormone testosterone clears it up.

Maybe your vet would be willing to try that.

heeler's rock!
September 30th, 2004, 11:38 PM
My dog had that, or so they thought. She had to take a pill every week. It's quite easy to handle, but they have to do a urinalysis to be sure.

AJAV
November 16th, 2004, 02:03 PM
Katrina,

I too had the same leaking problem with my lab mix. She was under a year old and had been spayed. Although the liquid she was leaking did not seem like urine. Anyway.... we took her to the vet and they gave us Stilbestrol 1 mg and we were to give her 1 tablet daily for 5 days, then 1 tablet twice weekly for a month, then 1 tablet weekly. We have been doing this since August and she has stopped leaking. The downside is that it is a estrogen problem that usually occurs in older dogs and that giving younger dogs this treatment for an extended time will cause their bones to weaken.