Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Another House Training Question

mybubbles65
August 30th, 2011, 02:35 PM
MY puppy is now six months old. She has gotten very good at going to the door to be let out. She always gets a treat when she comes back in and is praised for asking to go out. The problem is if I don't see her at the door, she will pee in the house. I have tried teaching her to ring a bell but no luck so far. My question really is, why can she hold it in her crate for literally 10 hors (which she has done for months) but when out of her crate can't seem to hold it for an hour? Any suggestions? I really want to get this house training thing down pat. She pees in the house once or twice a week but I have to constantly ask her if she wants out to make sure there are no accidents.

Marty11
August 30th, 2011, 09:51 PM
My puppy is 3 yrs old now, and still does this. She will run to the back door but if no one picks up her signal she pees in the same spot. I have to be watching her all the time. I'm open to suggestions too......

BenMax
August 31st, 2011, 07:19 AM
Let me try to explain why the dog can hold in the crate and not outside:
Think of yourself....when are travelling in your vehicle and you really need to 'go', you can hold it until you pull up to the house, fumble with the keys, get into the home and barely make it to the toilet.
Same concept for the dog. The sense of urgency is there...right in front of you but you cannot get to it in time. The expectation is there and yet the control of trying to maintain deminishes. Does this makes sense on why?

Marty11
August 31st, 2011, 07:26 AM
I totally get that Benmax, actually she would cry if she needed to go out in the middle of the night from the crate (not too often). She's not crated anymore, does really well now. Occasionally though she'll go in the house in the same spot if someone doesn't get her signal? So maybe I should try the bell? There is always someone around but the back door is kinda far from the other rooms? She's always had someone home so going out every couple of hrs is routine now so I think she expects it. Goes 8 hrs at night as long as no one disturbs her.