Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Thread for Bragging

ownedbycats
August 30th, 2011, 01:57 PM
I'll start. I have to brag about Sunshine! I took her out back for her regular bathroom break and Dad came out with us because he forgot something in the van. Sunshine was doing the "alert" stance at the cars, but I thought it was because dad was there and she was hoping for a ride. I was completely unprepared when she dragged the leash out of my hands, shoved herself halfway under a car, and then took off after the streak of fur that came flying out. I yelled "No! Wait! Leave it!" in rather a confused muddle. AND... she did! She came skidding to a stop at the edge of the curb and stood there until I caught the leash. From the cars to the street is only a few feet, so first, she obeyed while in the middle of intense distraction, and two, she did it before reaching the road. We still have a lot of work to do, or she never would have pulled the leash out of my hands in the first place, but it's good to know that some of what we have been working on is sticking, and sticking good.
Your turn! What has your dog or cat done lately that earned them a "GOOD girl!" (and maybe a treat)?

jassy3399
August 31st, 2011, 12:44 PM
that's awesome! so glad your pooch is responding so well.

But to brag about my boys...well, my boy Remington (9 yr old shephard/lab/boxer mix) is all pet. But he sounds like a huge meany when anyone knocks on my door. living alone, I've never had an issue with this (it also helps when someone knocks while I'm sleeping. I don't hear the knock, but I defy ANYONE not completely hearing impaired to sleep through him) and about a week ago, I had to have some repairs done around the apartment. Not only did he alert to the knock, but, even better, he calmed right down when I let the men inside. Normally, it's the fedex guy with meds, or takeout drivers, people I don't let inside, or it's family that he knows. So him responding to my "quiet, it's okay" so quickly made me very happy.

He also did extremely well at my sisters house. He doesn't like young children. He's okay out in the open where he's got room to dodge and get away, but confined, he'll growl if they get too close. so I'm really vigilant about monitoring everyone involved. Even so, the youngest who isn't quite 4 yet, managed to get up to him and give him a big bear hug. And he just stood there and patiently waited it out! yes, it was outside and the kid is small enough that all Remmy would have had to do was start walking to get away from him, but he just stood there. Waiting. Until I went over and redirected the baby away from him, whereupon he gave me a look of total relief and ran off to play with the oldest boy.

This is him:
http://www.pets.ca/forum/picture.php?albumid=548&pictureid=4657

growler~GateKeeper
August 31st, 2011, 10:37 PM
Great Job Sunshine! :highfive:

Great Job Remy! :highfive:

Both deserve an extra cookie for being so well behaved :dog: :dog:

marko
September 1st, 2011, 07:15 AM
(moving this to on topic forum)

Bragging rights are always encouraged! :highfive:
Great job Sunshine and remy :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
September 1st, 2011, 09:41 AM
This is really a little thing and silly, but given that Brier will chew/eat just about anything and doesn't take direction well, it was a big deal to me. :o

I dropped Ridge's toothbrush off the raised deck into the yard below and Brier ran for it. When he picked it up by the handle, I told him to 'come'. Lo and behold, after a brief instant of hesitation where you could see the gears turning and the options being considered, the little dickens ran around to the front steps, bounded up on the deck and brought the toothbrush to hand!! http://foolstown.com/sm/obm.gif

I know, I know....amazing, isn't it? :laughing: But these little victories are the sweetest. :D

ownedbycats
September 1st, 2011, 11:48 AM
This thread wasn't meant just for the big results, those little steps that have taken a lot of work, time and patience are worth bragging about too. (Did you throw something else so Brier could have an approved toy to play with?)
Marko: Thanks for putting this in the correct forum.

hazelrunpack
September 1st, 2011, 02:30 PM
Nope--the only other thing I had handy to toss would have been the toothpaste! :o :laughing: But his reward was lots of lovin's and getting groomed right then, out of turn (normally he would have had to wait through two more dogs before it was his turn :D) He loves attention more than food or toys, so it was a good reward for him. :thumbs up

Jim Hall
September 19th, 2011, 05:23 PM
I had to catch DU for her claw trimming DU hates to be picked up and hadled though she loves pets in her terms. Usually its a 10 minute chase around the room till we are both exhausted . This time she jumped out of my hands laid down on the bed and let me grab her. SHe still tried to bite me . though being missing a few teeeth it was no problem

GOOd GIRL DU

ownedbycats
September 20th, 2011, 08:39 AM
Progress! Congrats on not having to chase DU. I remember some of your threads from when you were first trying to make her less skittish :thumbs up
(My cat is usually begging to be picked up. She bites when I clip her claws and ISN"T missing teeth. I think DU is just being a normal cat when she bites over having her claws clipped. Possibly they feel less safe having their means of escape/weapons taken away?)