Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Molly and Salem R.I.P.

Backwoodsgal
August 28th, 2011, 12:55 PM
I've had two cats pass away within the past few months. Both were ran over from speeding cars from the people living down the road.

We have since gotten the people to slow down, thank goodness.

Molly passed away first. She was 11 or 12 years old. I didn't cry. She had had a good run and the only cat (Al Cat) she had ever gotten along with had passed away the year before from some infection. But I'm still sad over it. She was spunky, picky, and mean as all get out. She hadn't lost a bit of her attitude over the years. She always loved to pop other cats and even the dogs upside the head if they were out of line, or if she was in one of her moods.

Salem passed away maybe three weeks after Molly. I took to her the moment I pulled her cute little black bob-tailed self out of the box the day her and her sister (Mischief) were born. I won't lie, I cried my eyes out when my parents told me she was gone. I'm glad Daddy went down to the people's house 'cause I would've lost it if I had.

I miss them both terribly, but since then, my boyfriend got me a new cat, Jack. She is similar in color to Molly (white, dark coloring on ears, head, legs, and tail like a Siamese ) and very affectionate. She has one fault: she's not a fan of dogs, and I have four. However, the dogs have been good sports with her hissing. It's a good thing they've been raised with cats.

Time will heal the wound. I've been through many cats so this is nothing new for me. Doesn't make it any easier though.

Winston
August 28th, 2011, 02:34 PM
I am so sorry for your loss.....may I may a suggestion without offending? please keep this kitty indoors.....you have lost 2 already.....

How old is your new kitty?

Shaykeija
August 28th, 2011, 07:08 PM
I've been through many cats so this is nothing new for me.....

SIGH......keep your cat in the house so you don't have to have another one killed on the road.

Backwoodsgal
August 28th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Jack is 4 months old.

And I can't keep cats or dogs in the house. My parents are against dogs or cats in the house. Too much fur to clean up and the claw sharpening doesn't help. Besides, all the animals are much happier outdoors. Why would I take them away from the woods? Nooks hates the indoors; she goes nuts. Poor thang slammed her head into every door (twice) trying to get out last time.

These are the first two cats I've lost to cars, but we've dealt with the problem. It's a driveway. Those teenage boys can drive at a reasonable speed. I watch for their bulldogs, they can watch for my cats.

Rgeurts
August 28th, 2011, 07:53 PM
I'm hoping their bulldogs aren't watching for your cats as well...

BenMax
August 29th, 2011, 09:01 AM
Dogs and cats are called domestic animals for a reason. They should not be left outside unattended.
Get used to animals then being unnecessarily killed in the outdoors due to preditors, cars, and human unkindness.

marko
August 29th, 2011, 09:43 AM
Why would I take them away from the woods?

With respect, so they don't get killed. I forget the source of this anecdote but on average indoor cats live YEARS longer than outdoor cats because indoor cats don't get hit by cars or get into fights with other cats or get mistreated/stolen by rotten humans.

That said...this is a tragedy and I offer you my deepest condolences.

:rip: sweet Molly and Salem :candle: :candle:

Sincerely,

Marko

14+kitties
August 29th, 2011, 11:01 AM
RIP Molly and Salem :candle: :(

Just as an observation - This section of Pets is to be for honouring departed pets. May I suggest that if we are going to try to educate someone on how to properly care for their pets that we do so by opening another post in the right forum? As has been pointed out before - different cultures look at animals in different lights. It is possible, plausible in fact, because of her upbringing and culture that Backwoodsgal truly believes there is nothing wrong with treating her pets this way. Could someone now open a thread to address these issues and leave this thread to what it is supposed to be - a memorial for Molly and Salem? Thank you.

sugarcatmom
August 29th, 2011, 11:02 AM
rip Molly and Salem

Winston
August 29th, 2011, 11:13 AM
RIP Molly and Salem :candle: :(

Just as an observation - This section of Pets is to be for honouring departed pets. May I suggest that if we are going to try to educate someone on how to properly care for their pets that we do so by opening another post in the right forum? As has been pointed out before - different cultures look at animals in different lights. It is possible, plausible in fact, because of her upbringing and culture that Backwoodsgal truly believes there is nothing wrong with treating her pets this way. Could someone now open a thread to address these issues and leave this thread to what it is supposed to be - a memorial for Molly and Salem? Thank you.

I guess I am not as observant as you were here 14+. :) I was offering condolences and offering a suggestion?? But my question is who should open the new thread? the OP? if they come back? or a Mod?? I guess thats where this type of thread gets difficult.

RIP sweet ones! :rip::cat::cat:

Backwoodsgal
August 29th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Thanks 14+.

And in all seriousness, we do have a different animal culture here. Way different.

I didn't realize how different until later. I'm fine with that, just wish I was not so hated.

Thanks everyone. I still cry every time I think about my girls.

PS. Why does everyone keep thinking I am not gonna come back? This puzzles me.

Winston
August 29th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Well alot of folks join , ask their question and when they dont like the answer or they get some honest answers they dont come back. Or the folks on here can be brutally honest and some folks dont like that too much either!

marko
August 29th, 2011, 02:19 PM
I hope you DO hang around Backwoodsgal :goodvibes:

Condolences again. :grouphug:

Backwoodsgal
August 29th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Well alot of folks join , ask their question and when they dont like the answer or they get some honest answers they dont come back. Or the folks on here can be brutally honest and some folks dont like that too much either!

Ah, okay. Well, I have cried over a post or two. But no one has ever condemned my pet care except my roommate, who shares views with most here. But she decided that since I live in the middle of a national forest, my way works for my situation.

But it'll take more than that to run me off, lol.

chico2
August 29th, 2011, 04:29 PM
I am really sorry,whatever the circumstances...2 kitties died a terrible death:(
:rip:little girls:candle:

Dog Dancer
August 29th, 2011, 04:54 PM
RIP sweet little kitties :candle: