Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How can I stop smegma?

MarkLavallee
August 23rd, 2011, 06:18 PM
My almost 5 year old puggle has had a yellow/green discharge coming from his penis for the past few days. He isn't licking it and is urinating normally. This doesn't seem to be a problem for him but it is constantly leaking on whatever he happens to be laying on at the moment....white sheets, the couch, carpet. I have tried to clean it with a warm wash cloth but this only seems to stop it for an hour or so. After some googling it really looks like smegma and that it is normal so I can find anything about how to stop it. It is getting everywhere and is not normal for him. Is it vet time or is there something I can do at home?

Myka
August 23rd, 2011, 07:09 PM
Are you sure he doesn't have an infection? Since he's 5 years old, and you are only just complaining about it now, I assume that it has gotten worse? Has the production increased suddenly? If it is a quick occurrence then a trip to the vet would be in order. It could be an infection up in there...or I think yeast infections look like that too...?

cell
August 24th, 2011, 05:23 PM
My dog had a issue with excessive leaking, turns out I think he was getting sand lodged in there from the beach. It eventually just stopped on its own.

Rgeurts
August 24th, 2011, 06:07 PM
If this is something that just started, I would definitely be heading to the vet. Smegma, as we found out with our newest addition :yuck: is normal for male dogs, especially unaltered. But I think you said this just started happening. If so, and he's 5 yrs old, it could be an infection.