Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help....

heeler's rock!
September 30th, 2004, 08:38 PM
As you all know, my hubby and I have 2 tabbies, Jacob and Elliott. We rescued these guys from a farm cat that had kittens. They've both recently been neutered, but haven't had shots yet. Anyways, when we got them, I was making good money and we could afford them. Well, now that I'm not making as much money, we need to find them a new home. We can afford planned vet visits as we can save up for them, but if there were an emergency, we wouldn't have the money for it. We love them so much, but I am scared about our finances and feel that if we can find someone who will love them and take good care of them, we'd like to give them up. If we can't find someone, we'll keep them because we don't want to give them to the SPCA, and we'll just rack up thousands in credit card debt. Please don't hate me you guys, but I am being honest and I really would like to find them a loving home where they can stay together as they love eachother very much. Any help would be appreciated.... :o

Lucky Rescue
September 30th, 2004, 09:44 PM
and we'll just rack up thousands in credit card debt.

I don't understand. You mean thousands on the cats? Are they sick? I see no reason why you would, if you keep them inside. They don't need shots either, if they are to be strictly indoor pets.

Most of my cats cost very little in medical bills, and I have been poor in my life too, but always managed somehow and never considered giving up my pets no matter how broke I was. As for medical emergencies, you can cross that bridge when you come to it. It may never happen!

I'm telling you that there are many millions of cats homeless, and your cats will have the best chance if they stay with you.

Even if the perfect home comes along, those people may fall on hard times as well and end up dumping these cats.

If everyone gave up their pets just in case they may one day need expensive medical care - maybe 10 years down the line - no one would have any! :D

heeler's rock!
September 30th, 2004, 10:31 PM
Okay. I have been really on edge lately, and I don't know why. I'm panicking at stupid little things and they are really just that, STUPID! I just wanted to be sure that I am doing things right. I love those little guys and the only reason I would give them up is if I really thought they'd be better off somewhere else. I don't feel that way and I surely do know how many homeless cats there are out there, and I feel selfish for even starting this thread. Sorry everyone.....I'm just a worry wart lately. I've been really down lately and just over analyzing everything. Please forget this thread. Jacob and Elliott will always have a home with me! Please don't post anything rude or mean everyone, we all make lapses in judgement and I know how cruel some of you can be. I really don't need that. Thanks Lucky.... :o

P.S. No they're not sick. They ar ehealthy little rascals!

badger
October 1st, 2004, 06:16 AM
That's all right Heeler, we all have our moments, these are not treasonous thoughts. If the two little creatures who live with me suddenly disappeared (painlessly, o'course!), I could travel again, and don't think it hasn't crossed my mind. Problem is, Badger is pretty much unadoptable, I'm the only human he tolerates. So we go on. That's a big family you've got there...

chico2
October 1st, 2004, 07:05 AM
Heelers,don't feel bad,you know in your heart they belong with you.
When I first had little Vinnie,I was sooo panicky because my other cats hated him.I called my friends who found him and crying so much I had hiccups,told them to pick him up :(
But the morning after,looking into his wonderful little odd-eyed face,I knew he was with me to stay,I already loved the little guy and there was no way I would hand him over to an uncertain future.I don't regret it for a minute,he's a wonderful cat :D
We cannot live life with"what if's",or worry about what might happen,then we might as well pack it in right from the start :)
Between my 3 cats,ages 2,6 and 8,I've so far had no major expences,other than the regular yearly check-ups and dental-care for Chico.
Yes,your cats can become sickly,but they can also live long wonderful healthy lives,with the person who loves them.....None of us knows what's in our future :confused:so,let's not plan for what might not happen.
I have lived 60 looong years and believe you me,many ups and downs,but everything usually looks better once you pass that"bad"day :)

heeler's rock!
October 1st, 2004, 08:08 AM
That's so true Chico. When I frist brought the kittens home, I was nervous about Red and them. She didn't get along with my cat at my mom's house at all!! She was not very nice to them at first, and I called everyone I could think of to find other homes for them. They all said to give it time and she would be okay, but I really didn't think so......but they did and now she still doesn't like them, but she tolerates them!

I love those little guys so much and I am horrified to think of what might happen to them with someone else. I have been stressed lately and I think that's what brought this on, and I thought of no better place to find a home for them than here as we all love pets very much, but now I am glad that I am just crazy, and that they can stay with me!!! :p

They are both indoor cats, but we do take them out side on their harnesses and leashes sometimes when we're out there. They love being outside on the grass, but there is no way they would ever be out there without one of us.

chico2
October 1st, 2004, 04:11 PM
Another thing Heeler's,you do the best you can,if money is tight,you buy the best food you can afford,it does not have to be a bag of"Wellness"for $24,99.
My friend who has the 3 Siamese cats and 2 others,has been feeding his cats cheaper food from Wal-Mart forever,canned and dry,I am not saying anything,because one of his cats is 19yrs old,the other 17....how do I argue with that record??
The last few years I have become more aware of what's in cat-food and buy good food,but if we were really strapped for money,I would probably downsize everything,including the cat-food.

cutiecherise
October 14th, 2004, 04:29 PM
I've never been able to afford expensive food (yay safeway and no-name brand) and I doubt i would be able to afford an emergency trip to the vet, although i did save up for her being spayed...

But if ever Tragic were to need immediate medical care... I dunno.
I would find something.

If the injuries or illness were so severe that there would be no way for me to find the funds that i need?
*sigh*

Go ahead and hate me for this,
and give me the
"Would you euthinize your kid if he broke his leg?" speech,
but a cat can't understand why you're forcing a pain-killer down it's throat every four hours, or why you left it at the vet for a week, and doesn't always understand why it's in pain and why it's suffering.
You can explain that to people, but not to animals.

If my darling Tragic were to suffer an extremely complicated injury, i would probably have her euthanized.
I can't think of a situation in which i wouldn't have to make that choice but wouldn't have the funds to have her cared for...?
There are probably some,

But i love my Dirty little Baby, and she loves me,
and there is no way i am going to give her up in bad times,
even if it means she's eating wal-mart food.
:p Hey, as long as she's getting fed :p

Don't worry about unexpected vet costs. A lot of people don't have themselves covered. When I took a year off my studies i lost student coverage, and THEN i broke my arm. *sigh* :rolleyes:
Miracles come from somewhere and if you know in your heart that you love your cats.. well...
Love is *God's law, and If you ask, you shall recieve.

...So...

*Replace God with name of supernatural diety that you believe in! sorry anyone here who's not religious!

And sorry for the novel guys

glasslass
October 15th, 2004, 06:27 AM
I missed this thread the first time around. I just have to say that everybody feels overwhelmed sometimes. Anyone who claims they never have, isn't being very honest, or else is a hopeless irresponsible fool. No, you probably shouldn't seek a new pet, but the ones you have will help see you through this rough time. Cheapest medicine I know is that little one coming up for a cuddle or that lick on your cheek when you're feeling down. Hope things are looking up for you or will be soon!
{{{HUG}}}

heeler's rock!
October 15th, 2004, 08:55 AM
Thanks everyone. We;ve been making ends meet. Our pups had to be taken off raw food. We're only feeding my border the raw now as she has a very sensitive stomache. We found her pooping like 6 times a day on the kibble, so she'll stay on raw. Red and Helix will be going back to their kibble. I dunno what brand yet. I don't wanna put them on IAMS or Eukanuba, and we want to put them on Innova or Wellness, but it just depends on what we can afford. We'll figure it out.

Carlos (my hubby) passed his physical abilities test for the Calgary Police Service the other day! Now we can finally submit his application!!! Then it's just interviews, tests, and more interviews. Hopefully in 3 -4 months I'll post that he's now a Police Officer!

As for me, I'm expanding my animal knowledge. I'm taking a pet massage course in January so I can start offering pet massage as a service! The dog walking is going well and I'm working quite a bit lately. I am also acting in a few murder mysteries! I am doing 2, one in Banff and one in Kananaskis! The pay is REALLY good for 4 hours of "work"!

We've just figured that we need to budget and cut back on a few things, and we should be okay. Thanks for the support and concern everyone!!! :D :love: {{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}