Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

German Shep Fighting

clout18
September 30th, 2004, 06:13 PM
I have two German Shepherd male brothers, 9 months old and raised in same household since birth, that continue to fight very aggresively. This isn't play fighting. One male (Vega) will cower down to his brother (Brodie) during feeding time. Brodie will snarl and show his teeth until he starts to eat - Vega won't eat until Brodie has begun. Brodie constantly fights with Vega until the point that Vega is whining in pain and the fur is flying. We try to stop this behavior as much as possible to no avail. Any suggestions out there to get this horribly mean behavior to stop? :confused:

Lucky Rescue
September 30th, 2004, 06:24 PM
This is why good breeders will not give someone two siblings.

If you do not want to rehome one of them, there are a few things you can do.

Are they neutered? If not, get this done ASAP. Intact dogs are much more likely to fight.

Are they only fighting over food? If so, separate them at feeding time, and do not give them treats, toys, etc when they are together. NEVER leave them alone together.

I have to tell you that since they are fighting like this at 9 months old, it could get MUCH worse as they mature. You may have to keep them separated 24/7 one day.

clout18
September 30th, 2004, 06:42 PM
Yes, they are neutered. I have seen a slight improvement in their aggression since the neutering.

They do fight during other times than just the food situation. But it never seems to be over toys or the like. Vega might just be sleeping in the yard and Brodie will walk over to him and basically pick a fight.

They have been around many other dogs and have been very sociable. They are extremely friendly with children and the two cats in the house. I do not worry for the safety of others, only for their own.

There is a chance they will be seperated months from now - but I need a solution for the mean time.

GsdDiamond
October 2nd, 2004, 01:45 PM
It definately sounds like a dominance issue. The one dog is showing the other dog how log the totum pole he is. This is shown by the "picks a fight while one is sleeping in the back yard" thing.

Other than seperating them, I don't see them resolving the conflicts themselves any time soon.

Keep us updated on how they're doing.

Lucky Rescue
October 2nd, 2004, 09:24 PM
The one dog is showing the other dog how log the totum pole he is.

Right, and they are only puppies. This will get worse as they mature.

I don't know where you got these dogs, but if it was from a breeder, it was not a good one!