Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Did I kill my 12 yr. old doxie (Spice)?

bobg4x4
August 21st, 2011, 11:33 PM
My 12 yr. doxie (Spice) began to breathe rapidly for short periods for a long time. last yr. the vet heard a murmur during last yrs. check up. This yr., Spice went for his yearly check up and again the vet heard the murmur. Then spice was really breathing fast all the time. Just 2 months later, I took Spice in, the vet took x-rays and Spice had an enlarged heart (chf) and Spice was put on Lasix and Enalipril and to come back in 2 weeks.Two weeks after Spice's checkup on a Sunday, Spice was kind of not doing well. Spice started to cough and started to drool. I gave Spice his meds and gave Spice a few doggie Tramadol during a 24 hr. period. I was taking Spice on Monday for his 2 week follow up.Spice could not rest all night all, he sat up and extended his neck and head up and out to breathe. Monday morning, I took Spice outside to poop and pee and he did. Then Spice ran around the yard, looking like he was feeling ok. Then about 2 hrs. later, Spice took a turn for the worse. He was drooling foam and not moving arould, just laid in one spot. I was taking Spice to the vet, but half way there, Spice was dying. I got Spice back home and Spice passed away with my wife and I petting and telling Spice it is ok to go. Now I am on a guilt trip by using tramadol and killed Spice. Did I kill Spice?

Myka
August 22nd, 2011, 12:07 AM
I don't think the Tramadol you gave him 2 years ago was the cause of his death. How many mg was each pill anyway? What did Spice weigh? I am surprised the vet didn't prescribe a medication for the heart murmur when it was first discovered though. The dogs that I have seen die from a heart problem both died very quickly. Maybe there was something else ailing Spice...?

bobg4x4
August 22nd, 2011, 04:02 AM
To Myka

I miss typed 2yrs, it is 2 hrs.
Spice weigh was 22 lbs
The dose for tramadol is 50mg

hazelrunpack
August 22nd, 2011, 09:37 AM
Have you talked to your vet about your concerns? The vet can perhaps shed some light on what happened and give you some closure :grouphug:

At the venerable age of 12, with existing medical conditions, it's just as likely that Spice finally succumbed to something totally natural, not related to the tramadol.

I'm so sorry for your loss of Spice, bobg4x4. My condolences to both you and your wife.

:candle: Spice

Myka
August 22nd, 2011, 04:13 PM
I agree with Hazel that you are better off talking with your vet. I know it is hard to think that you may have contributed to his death, but it is also good to know not to make the same mistake twice! I would be seeking answers just like you. In the future, many veterinary hospitals offer autopsies for around $200.

To Myka

I miss typed 2yrs, it is 2 hrs.
Spice weigh was 22 lbs
The dose for tramadol is 50mg

So Spice received 3 Tramadol starting Sunday morning, and ending Monday morning, and he passed away around noon on Monday?

cell
August 22nd, 2011, 09:12 PM
It really sounds like his pre-existing conditions finally got the better of him. Sometimes animals (and humans) who are medically fragile can succumb from only small amounts of stress which may be unavoidable in their surroundings.
It sounds like you did everything you knew to do for your boy and he was well loved.
I am sorry for your loss, I have a little 2 year old doxie and they are very special little dogs.