Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

So Disgusted-Kijiji needs to ban the sale (or give away) of animals

Rgeurts
August 17th, 2011, 10:50 AM
I don't know why I look at Kijiji. I was browsing ads for the rv's and kept glancing at the dogs/puppies for sale. I know better than to look. I don't think there's ever been a time I have checked those ads that I haven't been completely disgusted by at least one, most times, more. I feel so bad for this poor girl :(

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-pets-dogs-puppies-for-sale-Gard-dog-W0QQAdIdZ275874765

I really wish I could have more, I would take her for sure.

Melinda
August 17th, 2011, 11:00 AM
she sounds cross also, "gard" I suppose means "guard" dog....I write kijiji almost weekly about ads

Rgeurts
August 17th, 2011, 11:03 AM
she sounds cross also, "gard" I suppose means "guard" dog....I write kijiji almost weekly about ads

I have never written them, maybe I should. Probably won't do any good, but might make me feel better anyway. The fact that he states right on there that she is a good mom and has had 4 litters just makes me ill. She doesn't look like she's 5 yrs old, she looks more like a senior :(
He's/she's obviously completely uneducated by the way he/she "tried" to spell approximately :rolleyes:
But the really sad part is that someone worse than this person will probably end up with her :wall:

marko
August 17th, 2011, 11:07 AM
I hear ya Rqeurts and Melinda!

With respect tho, the problem has nothing to do with Kijiji. How could it? They are a private company like any other.

(Newspapers have been offering pets for sale forever and all Kijiji is, is an online newspaper.)

If they developed a conscience and stopped those ads, in a millisecond a new site would hatch and offer the same service.

Legislation is the only answer I see in this case. :2cents:

Rgeurts
August 17th, 2011, 11:19 AM
I hear ya Rqeurts and Melinda!

With respect tho, the problem has nothing to do with Kijiji. How could it? They are a private company like any other.

(Newspapers have been offering pets for sale forever and all Kijiji is, is an online newspaper.)

If they developed a conscience and stopped those ads, in a millisecond a new site would hatch and offer the same service.

Legislation is the only answer I see in this case. :2cents:

Marko, you are right when it comes to legislation. But even if a few of the sites would take the lead and stop allowing those types of ads, it would definitely be a step in the right direction. Every little bit helps. And until we, as a society, realize that animals are not "property", but living, breathing beings who deserve our love, respect and protection, legislation will never be put in place.

marko
August 17th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Marko, you are right when it comes to legislation. But even if a few of the sites would take the lead and stop allowing those types of ads, it would definitely be a step in the right direction. Every little bit helps. And until we, as a society, realize that animals are not "property", but living, breathing beings who deserve our love, respect and protection, legislation will never be put in place.

I agree Rgeurts I just wish we had more members in our chorus.

Rgeurts
August 17th, 2011, 11:28 AM
I agree Rgeurts I just wish we had more members in our chorus.

You and I both :)
But until then, we just do what we can, when we can. If I lived somewhere that the zoning would allow more than 2 dogs, I would have all the furries I could take care of, and probably be completely broke! :D

breeze
August 17th, 2011, 11:57 AM
I see it to,
but instead of thinking in a negative way
think positive
that someone will take these animals and give them a home where they know love and respect they deserve
and the person selling them?? well they don't deserve them and hopefully will never be able to own a pet again.

:goodvibes::goodvibes:

Rgeurts
August 17th, 2011, 12:03 PM
I see it to,
but instead of thinking in a negative way
think positive
that someone will take these animals and give them a home where they know love and respect they deserve
and the person selling them?? well they don't deserve them and hopefully will never be able to own a pet again.

:goodvibes::goodvibes:

breeze, I sure hope so :)

mikischo
August 17th, 2011, 12:17 PM
I know how you feel Rgeurts.:grouphug: I actual go out of my way to avoid looking at those ads when I look at Kijiji. It's just too depressing.

Melinda, do you think it helps to write them? Do you even get a response or any action taken? I reported a couple of pets for sale ads once and didn't even get so much as an automatic response and the ads were not removed.:frustrated::(

Loki Love
August 17th, 2011, 05:23 PM
I'm by no means defending Kijiji (I've written a few letters myself!) but they are making some efforts to educate. They have a 'disclaimer' of sorts with each ad that discusses rehoming and adoption of pets - it's not a cure all, but it's something. They also have the date of birth indicated on the ad and it flags the reader as to when this pet should go home (if they are less than 8 weeks).

Of course, I wish the ads would all go away but as Marko said - another 5 sites will just pop up in its place. Education is key.

Melinda
August 18th, 2011, 05:07 AM
I know how you feel Rgeurts.:grouphug: I actual go out of my way to avoid looking at those ads when I look at Kijiji. It's just too depressing.

Melinda, do you think it helps to write them? Do you even get a response or any action taken? I reported a couple of pets for sale ads once and didn't even get so much as an automatic response and the ads were not removed.:frustrated::(

I have had a few ads removed, especially if the dog is a pitbull , pups/kittens underage and if they are selling more than 2 breeds of pups. I also have a standard letter I send to the people giving away "free", sometimes I get a very nasty message back *L* but once in a blue moon an ad is changed. I have a completely different email addy for doing all this.

Rgeurts
August 18th, 2011, 10:45 AM
I have had a few ads removed, especially if the dog is a pitbull , pups/kittens underage and if they are selling more than 2 breeds of pups. I also have a standard letter I send to the people giving away "free", sometimes I get a very nasty message back *L* but once in a blue moon an ad is changed. I have a completely different email addy for doing all this.

Melinda, that's awesome :grouphug:
I write the people with "free to good home" as well. I have had a couple that actually worked with me. One was placed with rescue and another was placed in a permanent home that the Edmonton Kennel Club Rescue referred me to. So a little bit of luck. But I have never written to Kijiji. The guy offering this dog is just giving her a death sentence, I'm afraid. She's obviously not an overly friendly pup if she is being offered as a guard dog, and obviously able to have another litter. Makes me angry :yell:

Rgeurts
August 18th, 2011, 10:49 AM
I'm by no means defending Kijiji (I've written a few letters myself!) but they are making some efforts to educate. They have a 'disclaimer' of sorts with each ad that discusses rehoming and adoption of pets - it's not a cure all, but it's something. They also have the date of birth indicated on the ad and it flags the reader as to when this pet should go home (if they are less than 8 weeks).

Of course, I wish the ads would all go away but as Marko said - another 5 sites will just pop up in its place. Education is key.

I am glad to see they have added the disclaimers, I'm sure it helps a little. But again, if the large online ad sites would take initative, it would put a dent in it. Sure, more will pop up. But they wouldn't be popping up because others decided not to allow the advertisement of pets. If they're going to be there, they will be there regardless. They want to "cash in" like everyone else. I personally believe that every little bit helps. You have to start somewhere. If newspapers and ad sites like Kijiji and Craigslist were to ban these type of ads, I truly believe it would have an impact, regardless of how many more pop up.