Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Barking while performing tricks etc.

Cflat
September 30th, 2004, 12:14 PM
It never fails that when I ask Cookie my Toller to sit or laydown etc. while we are in the house she has to bark before she does it. I know it is because she wants a treat and expects to get one when she does a trick. I began to not treat her very often for doing things I ask and still, if we are in the house she will bark when I give her a command. Outside things are a little different as she doesn't seem to expect a treat as often out there.
Any ideas on how to curb the barking in the house when I say "sit" or "rollover" etc? I've heard to teach the dog to bark but will that really help in this instance. (It doesn't help that her doggy sister is a Sheltie) :-)

Copper'sMom
September 30th, 2004, 12:39 PM
It sounds like she is giving you a command to give her the treat!! If that's the case, she is brilliant!

Cflat
October 1st, 2004, 12:33 PM
Ooooo thats scary.

Writing4Fun
October 1st, 2004, 08:38 PM
I've been watching agility competitions on TV, and I've noticed that a lot of those dogs bark throughout the whole course. Not sure what it's all about, but it seems to be very common, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. ;) How to curb it? My guess would be don't give the treat until she does the command without barking. Good luck!