Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

For those of you near Ottawa: question

Sheriffmom
September 30th, 2004, 11:39 AM
Hi Guys, we are planning a vacation in the near future to the Capital. We are bringing our Puppy, as we are very sucky and can't bear to leave him with a babysitter. However, we would like to spend some time exploring the Capital, and some of the places are probably not so dog friendly. Do any of you know of a good Doggie Day care or Pet sitter in the area? One that you have used and really liked? Or are there any hotels you can think of that offer Dog sitting/care within the Hotel? (I know in NYC and Boston and LA there were a couple hotel Boutiques that offered these services!) I've looked on numerous "pet- friendly lodging" sites, and although they give you a general idea as to what hotels allow pets, I've still contacted a few of the hotels to double check. Quite a few have either cancelled their pet friendly policy, or have never offered Pets-allowed and don't know how their hotel showed up on the sites. (I have also emailed the web-master the replies of hotels who do not accept dogs). Thanks for any help. I would feel much better knowing some of you had used and liked a specific daycare/sitter!!

mastifflover
September 30th, 2004, 11:42 AM
I am sure that sheraton hotels are pet friendly. There is also a book about travelling with your pet check amazon.com or chapters.

Sheriffmom
September 30th, 2004, 12:42 PM
Thanks, we will more than likely be staying at the Sheraton in Ottawa (I went directly to their site!!) But I am looking to see if anyone knows a Doggie daycare/pet sitter that they personally recommend (more likely someone from Ottawa who has used a service and really liked it!!) I just wanted a stamp of approval from someone who got great service and whos dog wasn't traumatized.... Hey what can i say WAY overprotective mom here :p I just want to ensure I tried my best, to find the best for Sheriff!!!

tyr
September 30th, 2004, 02:06 PM
What kind of dog do you have and how old is he? I would guess German Shepherd by the name but I cannot just assume. I can try and find something for you in the area and get back to you on it. I can see what is around and check with my friends who are dog owners if they can suggest anything. His size may matter - some only deal with small dogs and some only with larger dogs. At least that is my experience from other places I have lived in in Ontario. Some deal with both. Do you prefer anything special when looking for a "day-care"?

tyr
September 30th, 2004, 03:02 PM
I just saw that he is a bull dog - I will let you know what I find.

goldenblaze
September 30th, 2004, 03:08 PM
Pampered Pet
2446 Bank Street, Ottawa, ON K1V1A4
(613) 521-6272

Is where I went with my Shih Tzu's for grooming when I lived there and really really nice people. I think they have day care too and you would not have to worry at all your dog would be well cared for there. You can try there and see what they say. The owner is Chris she is a really animal lover good luck and enjoy your stay in Ottawa :)

Sheriffmom
September 30th, 2004, 03:31 PM
Thanks Tyr and Golden!! I will call Pampered Pets today.
I also found one called Canine College Club, have you ever heard of it?
I think it would be nice to start a "I've found them to be good..." Posting site where people can post positive results about Pet-related services, lodgings and groomers etc.... So ppl either from that area, or going to an area would have a resource to find out about really excellent places to take/stay with/ groom etc... their pets.
Again, thanks guys!!

Sheriffmom
September 30th, 2004, 03:33 PM
PS- Sheriff is an 8mnth old all white, English Bulldog (45llbs)with personality to spare!!! :p He is also a big sucky boy!! He loves all ppl and animals (although cats seem to get pretty peeved when he tries to lick them!!! :rolleyes: )

goldenblaze
September 30th, 2004, 04:11 PM
Hey if it was closer I would love to take him for you, I do alot of doggie weekend care. This weekend we have a golden retriever and next weekend a beagle, always more than my two boys here at one time. We love it! :) My friend has a English Bulldog Sherman T what a kid he is, loves to sleep lots.

Sheriffmom
September 30th, 2004, 05:42 PM
Yeah, Sheriff loves to nap, but he can be a little play monster when he wakes up... for about 10-15minutes then it's back to Doggie Lala land to recharge his batteries!! :p Thanks for the offer though. It is so nice to be part of a community where the pets are so loved, that a virtual stranger would offer such kindness!! :)

Kona Dawg
September 30th, 2004, 06:23 PM
hey,

When are you guy's coming up here? If its feasible, I'd be more than happy to baby sit your pooch for you. I have a fully fenced yard, a 43lb golden/bc mix who loves to play, and share her toy's. With your permision I'd take them out to the off leash park for play time with the other dog's also.

I have never boarded Kona yet, or looked into doggy day care so I'm not sure of
any around here. Here's a couple of link's you may want to check out though.

- Chris

http://nccpd.org/
http://www.dogfriendly.com
http://www.fortheloveofpets.ca/

Missy
September 30th, 2004, 06:36 PM
I was just about to make the same offer!! I would also be happy to dogsit for you depending on when you were coming up and I have an 11 month old pup who loves other dogs but never gets enough play time! She would be so happy if she had a friend to spend time with!

Although Kona, you just better watch out - that offer sounds so good you might end up with a few more pups than just Sheriffmom's :D

Kona Dawg
September 30th, 2004, 06:45 PM
what area of Ottawa are you in Missy? Do you ever go out to Bruce pit?, if so I very well may have met you before. What breed is your pup?

Missy
September 30th, 2004, 08:07 PM
Well, I'm not in Ottawa full-time but when I am there I'm downtown. No backyard for me. What about you? I've only been to the Bruce Pit once a long time ago but I usually go to Conroy Pit but maybe Bruce Pit is better?

Molly is a mutt, and the only thing I can determine is that she has german shephard in her and maybe hound. She's about 50 pounds of neurotic puppy. I keep meaning to post some updated photos of her!

goldenblaze
September 30th, 2004, 08:39 PM
Hey I used to be at Conroy Pit with my Shih Tzu Buster :eek:
That was 4 yrs ago when I lived there in Ottawa. South end lester right on the corner the fighting is going on now about some road closing? Anyway Conroy Pit great place to meet nice people. Sheriffmom I am sure you will find the perfect place for your doggie, have fun in Ottawa. :)

Kona Dawg
October 1st, 2004, 02:01 AM
I'm in the west end (merrivale/meadowlands), I've been out to Conroy pit about a half dozen time's, personally I like Bruce pit better (I've been going to it daily lately) It's quite abit bigger, and there's more variety of people, dog's, and landscape. It also helps that its about half the distance for me to get there too I suppose. Let me know the next time your in town and I can give you the grand tour of Bruce pit if you'd like.

Goldenblaze, I think your talking about Albion road, they recently closed part of it to through traffic, there aren't very many happy people about it either.

carey
October 1st, 2004, 09:49 AM
Invitation for anyone going to Bruce Pit this Saturday or Sunday (Oct. 2-3) the BARK group will be there for Halloween pics. It is a hoot. Also, sounds like your puppy has a lot of willing helpers in the Ottawa area. For the Love of Pets (www.fortheloveofpets.ca) is a great group (I am one of their sitters across the river in Aylmer), but they go to people's homes, rather than take the animal into care. They also put out the paper "Pet City" which is distributed every second month around the Ottawa and Montreal areas free of charge. It is a good resource for pet lovers. Enjoy your stay in Ottawa!

Kona Dawg
October 1st, 2004, 04:57 PM
Carey, What time span is BARK going to be there at? I'll try to make it out on Sat, but if not then definately on Sunday. (oh ya, I hope you don't expect me or the dog to dress up...) Any how, sounds like fun, see you there. Here's a pic of Kona to help you recognize us.

goldenblaze
October 2nd, 2004, 05:40 PM
Yes I did live on the corner of lester and albion, many yrs ago. :) I see on the news all about it and can't say I blame the people for wanting it left alone.

Kona Dawg
What a great looking dog, wow a face :) where did you get your golden and how old is Kona. My Blaze is 8 omths next friday, it sure what fast.

Writing4Fun
October 2nd, 2004, 07:40 PM
Oh, Kona!! What a handsome puppy!! I love the crimped fur on the ears! :D

carey
October 3rd, 2004, 07:10 PM
I was too busy this weekend to check my messages, so didn't have the picture of Kona before going to Bruce Pit today (Sunday). She certainly is a beauty! I couldn't belive how many dogs were there today - and they were all so well behaved! BARK had a successful fundraiser and many of the dogs who came today had once been fostered by BARK volunteers. :)