Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

where do u put his crate?

Karsalis
September 30th, 2004, 10:38 AM
when crate training, we are thinking of putting the dog in the laundry room, however, it seems somewhat isolated.

some books have instructed putting it in a high traffic area, like the kitchen, but others said to put it in a secluded spot, like the laundry room.
which is more suitable for a small dog?

where do you put your dog?

sammiec
September 30th, 2004, 10:41 AM
If you place your dogs crate is an isolated area I think he will believe that when he is sent there it is punishment. Crates should never be used for punishment. Our crate is in the kitchen, we have a breakfast nook area that we don't have a table in, that's now her spot.
You can put it in the livig room, a family room, hallway (if it's wide enough) but I suggest that you don't hide him away in a laundry room or anything... :D

heidiho
September 30th, 2004, 11:00 AM
living room

shihtzulover
September 30th, 2004, 11:31 AM
We have Sophies in the hall right between the kitchen and bedroom. That way when she is sleeping at night I don't feel she is far away from me.

Karsalis
September 30th, 2004, 12:15 PM
this is a nice room to put a crate, would he be disturbed though? cause the TV is normally loud and we have a home theatre system.

our kitchen would be nice, but is somewhat small.

Copper'sMom
September 30th, 2004, 12:55 PM
Personally, I would have him in the living room and would turn the TV volume down. I never have music or TV to loud when the dog is in the house. Dogs' hearing is much more sensitive than ours and I always keep that in mind. I always give my fiance crap when he turns the volume up! Some of the noises on TV(movies) scare him when a loud scene pops up. Just my opinion...that's all!

heidiho
September 30th, 2004, 01:00 PM
I agree with coopers mom,you want them to feel relaxed in there..

Copper'sMom
September 30th, 2004, 01:03 PM
I agree with coopers mom,you want them to feel relaxed in there..
It's actually Copper's Mom.............but that's okay 'cause we call him Cooper too!! :D

heidiho
September 30th, 2004, 01:13 PM
Oops i see that,sorry

GunnerX
September 30th, 2004, 01:20 PM
Kitchen. I think Ariel's used to my HT and Car Audio system. :D

Karsalis
September 30th, 2004, 01:47 PM
yeah, family room might not be a good place then.

we have a living room, but the room is somewhat empty, we dont use it much and though it is quiet there, it might be too isolating. not as lonely as the laundry room though. the living room is also hardwood floor, which isnt good.

we want to put him in a room with tiles, maybe the hallway.

Cinnabear
September 30th, 2004, 01:48 PM
I have 2. One is under the kitchen table (med size). The other one is in the bedroom (extra large). I have no idea why they got that size for a shih tzu. When I was training Newt, during the day his crate was under the table and night I moved him to the bedroom. I think I would find a place that is convenient to you, so your not frustrated with it.

wAggie
September 30th, 2004, 10:14 PM
living room

ya, same.

as soon as u walk into the house, it's on the left. cant miss it :p

great place for them to chill in btw their runs :rolleyes: :)

Shelby
September 30th, 2004, 11:16 PM
Izzy and Wilson's crates are next to the kitchen, they put themselves in their crates and watch us cook!

CarlaD
October 1st, 2004, 09:42 AM
We have an open concept house right now, so it is in the dining room right near the French doors, so it is easy to get the pup outside when we get home without having any accidents! It is good because he can be quiet there, but at the same time it is near everything.

TalonsMa
October 1st, 2004, 03:36 PM
When we first had solara we had her in our entryway, where w could block it off, and she had enough room to play etc. She could see us no matter where we were on the main floor. If we were in the kitchen she'd cry, if we were in the living room she'd cry...you get the picture. If she wasn't outside her pen, with us, she'd cry. We tried putting her crate in the living room....she'd cry. If we put her crate in our room, she'd cry...So as a last resort my hubby made her a huge pen in the basement, where she has her crate, toys, food and water dish, and room to run. The very first time he put her into her pen, she went into her crate, and slept....for HOURS! That had never happened before. She loves it down there. She sleeps all through the night, no crying, or waking up..even tho for the last week, i have let her sleep just in pen, with her crate door open (she sleeps in there anyways) and now she likes that even better.