Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I'm Sad and Worried

Copper'sMom
September 30th, 2004, 10:28 AM
I am sad and worried about how the ban will actually affect my baby and myself. I take my boy everywhere with me. Does this mean he'll have to be muzzled everytime we leave the house? He comes to work with me 3 days a week. The other two days he goes to Grandma's for a visit and play time. My fiance and I own a transmission shop. We rent from the truck shop next door. The fellows next door don't have a problem with Copper coming to work with me. He is tied up here and is always in view. Most people that come here are not afraid of him whatsoever. They ask what he is and when I say Pit Bull they don't beleive me! He's too nice they say! Most people think he's a boxer!!!!!!!!!! No way, he's much better looking lol. (Sorry boxer people i don't mean to offend you)

Anyway, because our business is a public place, will he have to be muzzled all day? I don't want to muzzle him until he gives me a reason to. It's not fair! I love having him here with me and will continue to bring him to work but I also don't want to be labelled as an irresponsible pit owner because he's not muzzled. I have always been a law abiding citizen (except for the oocasional speeding) and don't want a criminal record because I have fines coming out of my yahoo for not muzzling my dog. What do I do????????

http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL550/2673727/inbox/t-32584.jpg

jackieb
September 30th, 2004, 10:55 AM
We had the same problem in England a while ago and they brought in a dangerous dog legislation were all dogs classified under the dangerous dog act had to be put on a lead and certain breeds muzzeled but it was when they were out say in a park. In England however they never had the resources to enforce this law but it was there. Pet insurance also was very high on a dog classified a dangerous dog. Not saying its right but there were simular incidents in England which brought about the law.

lezzpezz
September 30th, 2004, 11:01 AM
I feel for you. My neighbours also have a lovely and well-mannered pit bull X who does not deserve to be punished for the actions of a few rogues. At this point, I don't think anybody knows what will be expected of the good owners/breeders. It's seems like Mr. B. is seriously considering condemning the entire breed for the actions of a handful of pit bulls, actually, stemming from the actions of the irresponsible owners/handlers. I think we need to raise our voices NOW for our companions. Do not wait to send a letter/phonecall or whatever to your MPP. I have!

Bugsy
September 30th, 2004, 11:26 AM
Lie ...tell people he is a Boxer x Bull dog (english or american...depending on his size). ;)

mastifflover
September 30th, 2004, 11:38 AM
I am with you on that Bugsy. I have to tell you nobody could make me put a muzzle on my dog he did nothing to be punished for. Until that time they could fine me everyday and it would make no difference to me. It is amazing how a city that cannot afford to fix the roads or find money for healthcare or find funding for education can waste money on creating a ban that they can't afford to enforce. Now education maybe they could actually keep some of these irresponsible owners in school so they are not hanging around training their dogs to fight so they have something to bet on and make money off of. The government cannot afford to enforce the pathetic laws for animal abuse and cruelty as it stands now where is this money to enforce these laws going to come from. I certainly hope they dont think that we are going to pay for it. And you can be sure the lazy polititians who work what 4 months a year are going to part with any money from their overinflated pension funds (which by the way most dont deserve). I love the fact that you can get fired from the government and still get a 6 figure pension. So bottom line is they are not going to be able to enforce it because irresponsible owners are not going to muzzle or pay fines. As well anyone who is a responsible owner should fork over one red cent to them.

lezzpezz
September 30th, 2004, 11:45 AM
Hotdog Mastifflover! You are over the top! Brilliant. I agree with every word.

mastifflover
September 30th, 2004, 11:49 AM
They keep going on about htis but nobody has said how they will fund it, or did I miss that. I think they are to busy sensationalizing it to actually figure out what they are doing. Lets see what happens when they have to pay for it where are they taking the money from?

Bugsy
September 30th, 2004, 11:51 AM
That's my new theory..."if you can't convince them..confuse them"

Boxer x Bulldog works with all pittie colors.

sammiec
September 30th, 2004, 11:56 AM
Bugsy's right, I get asked ALL the time if Briggs' a boxer!
I completely agree with Mastifflover, I will not be putting a muzzle on Briggs and they can give me ticket after ticket - I probably won't pay that either... I did hear on the radio this morning that they have toyed with the idea of making irresponsible owners do jail time for their dogs - and NOT just pit bulls....

mastifflover
September 30th, 2004, 12:00 PM
Well surprise surprise make the irresponsible owners do jail time. Has that not been suggested hundereds of times, and take the animals away and do not allow them to own an animal again. That is what I call a solution

Copper'sMom
September 30th, 2004, 12:21 PM
I have always thought of saying my dog is a mutt, or a boxer cross etc. to keep the peace, but then am I not betraying the pit bull "breed?" I should be proud of what he is. My vet has him marked down as a pit bull. I don't have a dog(Municipal) licence but I should get one before the ban so I can keep him but I can't lie to them about what he is, can I? God forbid if he ever got loose and was caught they would check his tags to see who he belongs to. But if they know he is pit bull what would they do? I know I would take full responsibility to whatever happens with him (not like he would do anything harmful). But could they be prejudice towards him? AAAGGGHHHH this just sucks!

(I have thought of telling people he is a Rhodesian Ridgeback because he looks just like one!)

sammiec
September 30th, 2004, 12:25 PM
Definately get a licence ASAP! That's important. I would just tell them the truth. My vet, the licence and microchip have her down as a pit bull. I tell random people that give us a hard time that she's a boxer, if they ask - I don't correct them either...;)
I would get a lifetime tag for your pittie - that would require a microchip too, but then at least you can fight that and say that they can't revoke your rights, you have a life time tag for the dog and that's the way it is....

I have always thought of saying my dog is a mutt, or a boxer cross etc. to keep the peace, but then am I not betraying the pit bull "breed?" I should be proud of what he is. My vet has him marked down as a pit bull. I don't have a dog(Municipal) licence but I should get one before the ban so I can keep him but I can't lie to them about what he is, can I? God forbid if he ever got loose and was caught they would check his tags to see who he belongs to. But if they know he is pit bull what would they do? I know I would take full responsibility to whatever happens with him (not like he would do anything harmful). But could they be prejudice towards him? AAAGGGHHHH this just sucks!

(I have thought of telling people he is a Rhodesian Ridgeback because he looks just like one!)

krdahmer
October 1st, 2004, 01:18 AM
OH the subversion!!!! BRAVO!!! Stick it to tha man!!!! :cool:

moontamara
October 1st, 2004, 08:05 PM
BANTHEPITBULL, if you want to join a discussion, please READ all of the posts in the thread and respond to what is being written about in the thread. Writing one post about your feelings about pit bulls and then copying and pasting it to every thread at all related to pit bulls is obnoxious, and unhelpful. If you want to get into healthy debate here, go ahead, but no one will listen to you if you don't listen to them, and YOU'RE NOT LISTENING! No one here wants to promote pit bulls, even those who have a pit bull of their own that they love. These people aren't breeding pit bulls or even buying pit bulls from breeders -- they have all rescued pit bulls, and they deserve their opinions to be listened to. So at least READ THEIR POSTS and then respond to what is being written, if you have something to add. I'm not saying you have to agree.

heeler's rock!
October 2nd, 2004, 09:14 AM
I have one word for you BANTHEPITBULL......troll. You are so definitely a troll. Go crawl back under the bridge you came from. :mad:

Loki
October 2nd, 2004, 10:16 AM
There is an article in a Windsor paper, that says some owners have gotten a lawyer, and are planning to fight:
http://www.canada.com/windsor/windsorstar/news/story.html?id=af4c58ee-e0cd-49d0-bdcb-9635768a1f7c

I hope owners do this in any city that does inact a ban.

BANTHEPITBULL
October 2nd, 2004, 11:03 AM
sure, get the lawyers, court is the most appropriate place to fight such issues.

I totally support Michael Bryant and if the ban is challenged in the court, I am prepared to support it there as well.

meggie1425
October 2nd, 2004, 11:18 AM
I think this board should ban banthepitbull. :rolleyes:
I agree!! You would have to be pretty stupid to come to a forum for pet lovers, and start saying ban the pitbulls!! :rolleyes:

montys_pet
October 2nd, 2004, 11:20 AM
I also agree. Why come here if you just want to inflect negativity?

Copper'sMom
October 4th, 2004, 09:48 AM
BANTHEPITBULL,

You shouldn't judge something you know nothing about!!!!! :( :mad: My heart is racing after I read what you had wrote. I would feed you to my dog..............................but he doesn't eat trash!

sammiec
October 4th, 2004, 10:22 AM
Did something get deleted out of here? I haven't seen one post from BTPB in this thread...this makes it SOO confusing... :confused: :confused: if the person's post is deleted can we not have a message from the Admin that pops up in that place to let us know what's goning on?

glasslass
October 4th, 2004, 10:26 AM
I don't think we should bother responding to trolls, they just feed on it. :mad:

LL1
October 6th, 2004, 01:59 PM
The fines might be very steep, my understanding is that the fines for violations are, who knows if they'll decide to contemplate jail time like the UK:

Kitchener - $5000
Winnipeg - $1500
New Zealand - $3000
UK - 6 months imprisonment or fine

the insurance required might also be costly, Winnipeg requires a minimum of $300,000 liability insurance, Denver $100,000

mastifflover
October 6th, 2004, 02:29 PM
Yeah I have heard up to 5000.00. I think this is a way to responsibly deal with this I have read a few things in the last couple of days stating that they should not be making responsible owners pay for irresponsible ones. Gee imagine actually dealing with the problem this could be a whole new concept for the government.

Sneaky2006
October 6th, 2004, 03:40 PM
I saw something about insurance, don't know if you meant home owners insurance but I had something to add to that if it was...
There aren't any laws here about Pits, but if you have one or a Rott, your home owners insurance will most likely triple. We got a pool put in at the begining of the year and our insurance went up about $10 a year... I don't get it.
So if we had one of those dogs, it would be more likely and more costly that it bite someone than to have an accident with a pool...??