Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Euthanasia and Ethics

violagirl
August 5th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Maybe this is just me, but I seem to be seeing more and more old dogs at the SPCA or on Kijiji.

What are the statistics on adoptions of 10+ year old shepherds/labs?

Now a few I have seen recently are a blind 11 year old shepherd, a partially paralyzed shepherd that had a stroke, a 10 year old incontinent shepherd..

Out of all the dogs out there that need to be adopted do these ones really stand a chance?

To me it would be cruel to take an 11 year old blind dog from the only home it has ever known, put it in a kennel at the SPCA and hope someone adopts it.

Isn't this just abdicating the hard decision?

Dog Dancer
August 5th, 2011, 03:41 PM
I have to say that abdicating one's responsibility to an older/disabled pet would be the easy way out. Well not for me, I could never live with myself. Personally if either of my two seniors were in a position that I could not keep them or rehome them to my family members who know and love them I would certainly put them down. Never will my dogs end up in the pound.

Shadow borders on disability at any given day with her arthritis. I would never put her into the pound and hope for someone to love her enough. As the one who loved her throughout her life, I will be the one who see's her to the bridge. Tough on me, but that's my job.

renegaderuby
August 18th, 2011, 06:05 PM
I feel as a responsible pet owner, you have to "love" them enough to be able to say goodbye when its time. It's our "JOB" to put them down when they are unable to live a full life, and or you are no longer able to "properly" care for them because they are senior, or disabled.
I've had to put several of my 'furbabies" down..and it liked to killed me to do it. But...I realised it was much "kinder" than allowing them to stick around doped up, and in pain and misery for my selfish reasons.
I've found however alot of "owners"...cannot do it, and they do turn them in else where convincing themselves "someone" will adopt them.
Makes me sad and angry.
I do think there are sometimes an older family member with a pet, passes on, and the family dosent want to , or cannot care for an elderly or disabled pet, and thus some of these poor souls you see at the aspca or what not...is the result.
In fact our chiweenie that we adopted from the humane society is just that. Her senior owner passed, and the family didnt want her. she's made a lovely addition to our family...(attitude and all..lol). but it does make me cry to think if we hadnt got her, what wouldve happened.

Rgeurts
August 18th, 2011, 06:28 PM
Sadly, I think you're right when it comes to family not wanting to take the responsibility for a pet that belonged to a deceased person. My father has a senior Jack Russel who will be coming to live with us once our beautiful Thorin passes. I would never let him be placed in a home where he didn't know anyone, or put down. He will be where he's loved and cuddled. And have the Nookie Monster to play with :D
We aren't waiting for my father to pass. Hopefully he will be around for many years to come :pray: :fingerscr

I know it's going to kill me when it's time for Thorin and Nookie. I just hope I'm strong enough. We will have a vet come to the house though. Thorin is terrified of the vets offices and I don't want his last little bit of time to be spent in fear.

doggy lover
August 18th, 2011, 07:51 PM
I put it in my will as a request that my pets are to be taken care of by family not given away or end up worse in a pound or some other place. Guess if we Will money to take care of them maybe someone would be more likely to do it? But if something should happen I too would rather them pts than end up who knows where and with a stranger that could abuse them. At least I would know they were at peace.

Choochi
August 19th, 2011, 11:30 AM
I put it in my will as a request that my pets are to be taken care of by family not given away or end up worse in a pound or some other place. Guess if we Will money to take care of them maybe someone would be more likely to do it? But if something should happen I too would rather them pts than end up who knows where and with a stranger that could abuse them. At least I would know they were at peace.

Not to get too personal but when you say family is it a specified person? Do they know and are ok with this? Because I know of situations where a dog was "dumped" on family like this and the dog would have been far better off being adopted by strangers. Doesn't matter if you're family, if you're not a dog person and don't want a dog, that dog won't be in a good place and it doesn't necessarily have to be due to flat out abuse.

doggy lover
August 21st, 2011, 07:48 PM
They are to be left to my children, if something should happen to me and my hubby. So I have no worries of them being abused:lovestruck:

Myka
August 21st, 2011, 11:01 PM
Sometimes there are unexpected events in a person's life that make it impossible to keep their dog. However, I think there are way too many people out there that don't take "impossible to keep" very seriously. Personally, it would have to be a d@mn big life changing event for me to ever consider adopting my dogs out, but I would never take them to the pound.

However, I don't think it is humane to have 11 year old large dogs spending their last months or years in a pound. That is unthinkable. When I was looking for another dog I was open to adopting a geriatric dog because I think it is sooo sad to see them in the shelters. They deserve better. Roxy is actually younger than I was thinking of, but she is perfect and I will get a couple more years with her.