August 5th, 2011, 04:40 AM
hello im new and was just wondering if anyone could give me advice pls :)About 4 weeks ago my puppy ended up with a broken foot near his paw area, due to someone throwing him he is a chihuahua so we took him to the vet we couldnt afford the pet fees so they didnt take x-rays they wrapped and splinted his foot for the emergency visit fee (some ppl may say if you cant afford vet fees you shouldnt have a puppy but times are hard and the vet is really expensive this was an unfortunate event that I honestly didnt expect to happen) we took him home and the next week we took him to get his cast rewrapped we were told to come back each week so they could keep wrapping it they also told us we needed x-rays because they didnt know where the break was and also he may never be able to use his foot if not fixed. we couldnt afford the vet we had stopped going for the re-wrap (i had also tried places which could help with payment plans but no luck) today we removed the splint on our own because we seen he was developing sores his paw was infected with some puss and had lil red sores on his leg we left the cast off for a while and applied antibiotic and then did a homemade re-wrap. while the cast was off he was still running around and jumping (normal self) we ARE planning on calling a new place we heard within the week to see if they are able to work with us until mean time i would just like to know is there any thing i should be watching out for? or doing to reduce pain/clean up sores?? thank you
August 5th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Your dog is in pain. While I know some people cannot afford vet bills, is it were me I would either find the money for the necessary vet care or get the dog into rescue. I take it a kid threw the tiny dog? Sigh, this is why I never adopt any small dogs to people with kids. They are not careful with them. I was at the vet yesterday and this beautiful dog damn near died because some kid put a big elastic band around it's throat. Another day and it would have died. The vet said he actually gagged when he had to operate and clean the wound that went all around his neck. If you are still trying to home treat this dog, do not use Tylenol. It will most likely kill your pup.
August 5th, 2011, 10:06 AM
puppyluv...your dog has a broken paw,,u were told u needed to get x rays?...but u can't afford it...it was 4 weeks ago this happened? U didn't take the pup back for checkups...and u started doing it yourself without knowing where the break was and not being qualified? and now your pup has pus and red sores which could possibly turn into gangrene? But you ARE planning on calling a new place WITHIN A WEEK?
Now I know u said times were hard...but really a broken paw? and u didn't get an x ray and stopped taking the dog to the vets? You realize that if untreated the pup could get gangrene if it has lost of circulation to it's paw because of the break? Do u know the pain this pup must be going thru?
I know u said it is running around like normal, but really? U need to get this dog seen too by a vet and don't wait until sometime within a week! :wall:
And if times are hard then u probably shouldn't have adopted a dog until times for u were better.
Now the idiot that threw this pup do u know this person? Did u see them do it? If so get them to pay for the treatment!!
Do u have a credit card? Then use it to pay for the pup's treatment. If not borrow the money from your parents or friends! Sell something! GEt some money and get the poor dog to a vet!
August 5th, 2011, 10:25 AM
You really do need to make that appt sooner than sometime 'within the week', puppyluvv. Not just for the broken bones, but for that infection. Is there a family member you can borrow from to pay for it? Do you have a credit card you can charge it to? Some vets do take payment on installment--so start calling around now and see if you can find one.
By now the bones are knitting and if they're misaligned, it will cause arthritis in the leg. If they need to rebreak and surgically set the bones, it becomes much more expensive. But the only way to tell how it's healing is to have xrays done.
The infection is actually a more immediate problem. If it gets out of control, it could actually be life-threatening.
Unfortunately our members are not vets and unable to address potentially serious health issues like this one. Time is critical - please contact a vet immediately. Good luck, we'll watch for an update on your pet's condition. In keeping with site policy, this thread will now be closed.