Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Brushing Teeth

moontamara
September 30th, 2004, 12:44 AM
Casey's adult teeth are almost in now, and I guess I should start to brush them (I kind of did with the little ones, just to get him used to it, but they were sooo tiny that it was quite hard!) Just curious how often you guys think is necessary. Not sure if breed matters, but Casey's a toy poodle.

Mom_Of_Two_Dogs
September 30th, 2004, 01:04 AM
Since the day I brought home my pups, I've been brushing their teeth almost daily after I send them outside for their last potty break.

GunnerX
September 30th, 2004, 09:26 AM
We were advised by the Vet to get Ariel used to brushing to make it easier when she gets older. So I have been brushing her teeth once or twice a week. She has most of her adult teeth now with a couple more baby teeth to lose.

heeler's rock!
September 30th, 2004, 09:51 AM
I find that I don't need to brush my puppies teath more than every couple of months as the ground bones in their food keep them nice and clean. :)

heidiho
September 30th, 2004, 10:34 AM
awwwww my dog loved getting his teeth brushed, i miss doing that,he liked it sooo much,had to get dog toothpaste and his own toothbrush...memories

Beautygirl
September 30th, 2004, 01:02 PM
Do you use a regular toothbrush? Do you use toothpaste? Is it for dogs or just the same stuff you use? Beauty really needs here teeth brushed (or at least try to get it done).

glasslass
September 30th, 2004, 01:39 PM
Den-Den has a very soft toothbrush with two brush heads. One side is small, the other side is large for larger dogs. I think his flavored toothpaste is called "Petadent"? I'm afraid his brushing is rather haphazard. He doesn't care much for it. He loves his rope tug-tug. I think it does a better job! :D

heidiho
September 30th, 2004, 01:40 PM
I GOT him his own dog toothpaste from petsmart and toothbrush

tyr
September 30th, 2004, 02:34 PM
I do not have a dog but I do have 3 cats (one is a kitten). I brush their teeth every few weeks. The one loves it but the kitten and the eldest hate it! I use this finger brush - it slips over your finger and one side has little soft rubber bristles (bumps). Maybe it is the fact that it is a finger top two times the size of my finger (I think a man must have made it) and they hate having this HUGE finger in their mouth - I know I would. Any suggestions on another kind of toothbrush I could try would be really great!!!!

Thanks so much.

moontamara
September 30th, 2004, 06:58 PM
Beautygirl, there are toothbrush/toothpaste sets for dogs -- definitely don't use human toothpaste, as it isn't good for your dog if she eats it! The dog use stuff is edible (though I won't be eating it myself!)

wAggie
September 30th, 2004, 11:11 PM
I attempt to brush their teeth every 2-3 months... :o

They each have their own toothbrush-on-a-finger along w doggie toothpaste :) ... that i should use oh so more frequently!

Shelby
October 1st, 2004, 12:19 AM
I don't brush my doggies teeth at all, but I feed them alot of raw bones and I was told this was enough to keep their teeth clean.

Beautygirl
October 1st, 2004, 02:17 PM
Thank you! I have seen pet toothbrushes at the dollar store, not the toothpaste though. I have seen at Walmart they have a package with brush and paste.

heidiho
October 1st, 2004, 02:27 PM
Petsmart has toothpaste

Goldenmom
October 1st, 2004, 02:35 PM
The people that don't brush are looking at huge dental bills later in life. Either for rotten teeth that need to be extracted, or gingivitis surgery. This could amount to about $1500.00. I brush my girls teeth weekly and they are sparkly white all the time.

Heather and her 3 Golden Girls

tyr
October 1st, 2004, 02:44 PM
I asked an earlier question about cats but it seems to have been completely disregarded. Should I post somewhere else as you are all dogowners? Do any of you own cats and know a suggestion to my earlier question?

Thanks a bunch!!!! :)

heidiho
October 1st, 2004, 02:45 PM
Isnt this thread about brushing teeth/////////

Goldenmom
October 1st, 2004, 02:51 PM
Cats, dogs? What is the difference. Teeth are teeth in animals. Humans brush daily and so should animals, no matter what type of animal they are. People would brush their childs teeth and they should also be taking the time to look after their animals teeth. I have fostered many senior dogs and they have awful teeth with very bad breath. Poor things....

Heather

Goldenmom
October 1st, 2004, 02:58 PM
A great suggestion from my vet about brushing teeth.

Get an old pantyhose and put your finger through it. Use that as a toothbrush on your animals teeth. It is rough and is used like and abrasive. Works wonders!

Heather

tyr
October 1st, 2004, 03:42 PM
Thanks GoldenMom!!! I will definitely give it a try. My poor Jesse (Cat) came to my home two years ago. He is twelve years old now. It was apparent to me that the previous owner never cleaned his teeth. I have tried using this finger brush that I have but it has been impossible! His breath is just horrible! I have tried many times to ease him into the whole thing but he just won't have it. I cannot afford to dish out 250.00 for a cleaning...though at this time I feel it to be inevitable :(

I am just looking for lists of ideas to try so if one does not work I can go on to the next. I just want to make sure that as a "parent" I have tried everything before bringing him in for such a big task. I know he will need to be asleep for the procedure - he hates the vets. I want to save him from having to go through such an ordeal when he gets so upset. This way it does not cause any further upset for future visits :eek:

Goldenmom
October 1st, 2004, 04:19 PM
You know, sometimes things just can't be helped. We try our best but in the end, things just don't go the way we would like them to. I hate putting my animals under for any procedure, but sometimes it has to be done. I hope people learn from this topic that they need to start brushing now, not later.

Do you feed your cat dry food or canned? This makes a difference in teeth also.

Heather

tyr
October 1st, 2004, 04:24 PM
I feed them both wet and dry. They have dry food out all day and then get fed wet twice a day. Though, because they have dry food out all day I do not give the recommended serving. They would be little fatties if I did :D They each get about a tablespoon of wet for a serving - it is more for a treat.

They should make a product that you can put in their food that gives that extra little sparkle to their teeth and gums...ah, how sweet that would be :D

wAggie
October 2nd, 2004, 08:26 PM
I just wanted to add that after reading GoldenMoms piece, I'm gonna start my darndest attempting to brush my doggies' teef on a weekly basis, if not more!

I did yesterday and I plan to do it again and again and again... :)

thanx GoldenMom!! :D

heeler's rock!
October 3rd, 2004, 12:32 PM
I don't feel the need to brush everyday. I check my puppies teeth every week and make sure there is no tarter accumalating and brush when I need too. The ground bones in their food and their rope toys do a great job of cleaning.

I know what you mean about older dogs not being brushed though. I rescued Red when she was 5 years and during one of her regular vet check ups, they found abseced teeth and one tooth was split and rotting!! She didn't even let me know that she was in pain! The Dr. said it must have been hurting, but Red always ate her dry food without complaint! If it wasn't for the check up, I wouldn't have even known! She was my first dog so I didn't even know we had to brush their teeth! Anyways, it cost me $1200.00 to get her teeth out and for a good cleaning. I used to brush her teeth every week after that, but now with the bones in her food, I do the same as I do with the puppies.

Sheriffmom
October 4th, 2004, 10:14 AM
Just watched a special on brushing pets teeth, on "Good morning Canada". They had a vet on and he said optimally you should be brushing everyday (just like a human), but that 2-3X per week is okay. He said if you are not brushing daily there are a few types of "cookies"/treats that will help shale tarter off. He said that not only will you be looking at $1000's of dollars in bills later on if you don't take care of your pets teeth, but that the animals life expectancy drops :( !! (due to bacteria getting into blood stream and travelling to heart, liver, kidneys etc...)
After seeing that I am definitly going to be more agressive in finding time to brush Sheriff's teeth a little more often!!!

GunnerX
October 4th, 2004, 11:38 AM
But the question is, do dogs chew on those special treats with all their teeth? I know a lot of dogs favour a certain side to chew on and its usually their back teeth. The front tooth need attention too. The vet suggested to us to start brushing Ariel's teeth right away so she'll be used to it and will accept it when she's older.

GsdDiamond
October 4th, 2004, 01:45 PM
I've never brushed Diamond's teeth. I give her meaty bones and LOTS of things to chew on. She uses all her teeth (front, side and back). I know because I watch her while she chews. Heck, there are times I have to hold her chew for her!

Every person who meets her comments on her wonderfully white teeth! If I could get her to smile for you in a picture I would. :D

heidiho
October 4th, 2004, 02:05 PM
Gunnerx my dog when he was a pup always was in bathroom with me trying to get at my toothbrush when i was brushing he just loved it,so i got him his own and whenever i brushed my teeth he knew he was next..then i would say want me to brush your teeth and he would run over to where i kept his and wait for me to di it...

heidiho
October 4th, 2004, 02:06 PM
I guess my point was ot start them early..

wAggie
October 4th, 2004, 04:29 PM
My dogs get treats specially formulated to "brush" their teeth. The day they live to be 70 is the day I'll start using Crest and a brush on them.

Besides, it isn't brushing that gets rid of plaque it's flossing.

Now who flosses their dog's teeth?? :eek:

Dinah,

if ur dog would live to 70, I'm SURE s/he would be able to brush his/her own teeth :rolleyes:

second, crest or any other HUMAN toothpaste is NOT good for the dog's stomach. only use special toothpaste for dogs which u can find in pets/department stores.

third, dogs "floss" their teeth with these:

tyr
October 4th, 2004, 05:28 PM
How would a cat floss their teeth? I am sorry - I know I am in the completely wrong forum as it is for dogs, but there are cat owners in here too, yes? Just curious, because if there is something for my cats to floss their teeth with I am buying right away! :D

wAggie
October 4th, 2004, 05:30 PM
I believe this is uncommon, but some cats DO play w rope bones as well :)

besides that you can always use the good ol' toothbrush and paste.

I had 2 cats; therefore, I will be happy to say that YES it is totally possible to brush a cat's teeth. lol

tyr
October 4th, 2004, 05:34 PM
You are so lucky!!!! My two do not like it but they make it possible. The third, the eldest, who is 12 that I got from a shelter 2 years ago makes it the worst experience ever. I posted about it on the first page. He is sooooo fussy. I will definitely have to try to see if they will play with rope. Never really thought about dog toys for cats - don't know why. Jesse's favourite thing to play with is good 'ol fashion string. So I do not see why he would not like rope! :D

wAggie
October 4th, 2004, 05:38 PM
(sorry I missed ur earlier thread)

look for the smallest rope bone u can find at the pet store, honest, they work!!

I kept Choco's from when he was a pup, and needless to say the cats were entertained by it.

I'm sure u know cats enjoy putting things in their mouth as any other animal (;)) lmao

so play w the rope bone w them, they'll learn to enjoy playing w it (I hope)

u know how u can use a pen to grab their attention? do the same w the rope bone, it should work! :D

tyr
October 4th, 2004, 05:41 PM
No problem on missing my earlier post - I think I just got lost in all the dog owners. Completely understandable on their part :D

I am definitely going to test out the rope bone - it sounds like it could be pretty fantastic:)