Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What is growing on my dog???

Biggz
July 29th, 2011, 11:43 PM
My dog has a growth beside his groin, it started growing roughly 2 years ago and it is around the size of a large grape. It does not bug my dog as he never licks or touches it but it is a sight for sore eyes and we are curious as to how we can remove this safely without visiting the vet. I cant afford a $1,500.00 bill to have it tested and removed but if worse comes to worse I will have to do it. Does anyone know if tying a string around it will possibly work, I have a good friend that says its the safest method. It looks like a skin tag the way it hangs down on a thin piece of skin into a larger ball. Would tying a string around this cause complications?? All advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Pictures attached.

Shaykeija
July 29th, 2011, 11:53 PM
Ummm no....that is not a skin tag. Go see the vet and do not attempt to do do any kind of cutting, tieing snipping or any other kind of do it your self surgery.

hazelrunpack
July 30th, 2011, 09:05 AM
This is very definitely not something you should try to remove yourself. If the estimate given for the surgery is more than you feel you can afford, try shopping around a bit--you might find a vet with cheaper fees. :fingerscr

Myka
July 30th, 2011, 09:45 AM
It shouldn't cost $1500 to remove that tumor, it should be considerably less. It looks like it has a very good blood supply, so do it yourself surgery could go very bad!

Check out your area for a low cost spay and neuter clinic, and they might be able to do it for you, or know of somewhere with reasonable pricing.

Goldfields
July 30th, 2011, 10:13 AM
A good blood supply and the neck of it is fairly thick so it's not a do it yourself job, I agree with the others. It's interesting, I'd like to hear what it is when the vet has removed it, and by the way, sorry to read that your dog has this, Biggz, as if we haven't enough vet bills without our dogs growing extra bits, hey? One of my shelties has skin tags right near the eye, others have lipomas(fatty cysts), and others have had tumours, but this is the first time I've seen something like this.

CsqU4r3d
July 30th, 2011, 10:50 AM
I agree with the others...with the good blood supply it apparently has ... doing it yourself could result in serious blood loss, at the very least.

Biggz
July 30th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Thanks a lot everyone for the advice, I know it is definitely not a skin tag, was just curious as it if the string method would possibly work. I def. value my dogs health and if it is unsafe than its not happening. Has anyone seen anything like this before, I think it is a certain type of tumor.

Once again all replies have been greatly appreciated :thumbs up

Myka
July 30th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Looks like a tumor to me! :p Hopefully it is benign, but you can't really say what type of tumor it is for sure until it is biopsied. If cost is an issue, then obviously chemotherapy is out of the question, so biopsying it would be a waste of money. So you could save some money there. Lopping it off is really all you can do for a reasonable cost.

barkiepoo
August 18th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Is that a testicle, or its own growth? Hard to tell from the photos, but long story short you need to get it checked out.

Marty11
August 18th, 2011, 02:03 PM
My senior golden had one of those. It is a growth but at his age the vet did not remove it. But he warned me if it broke off that he could bleed to death and to get him in as quick as possible. My senior dog was put down for other old age issues. :(

Myka
August 18th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Biggz, have you had the tumor removed or are you leaving it?