Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Act now if you want to stop BSL

Sheriffmom
September 29th, 2004, 06:20 PM
Guys, I think we all really need to get off our collective arses if we want to stop Breed specific legislation. Michael Bryant is quoted as saying he has recieved 4000+ emails and most of them pro-bsl. We need to make sure he now gets 4000+ emails anti-bsl. Call your friends, get them to email him, write him yourself, write your newspapers (letters to the editor), send
M. Bryant articles against bsl. Do something. Below is my letter to Bryant

*****Mr. Bryant,
I think the Breed Ban is an awful idea, akin to culling bears because a few people have been attacked by them. Extincting an animal based on the fact a few of them have attacked humans is outragious. How many Pitbulls are there in Ontario? And how many attacks have there been in Ontario attributed to Pitbulls? How do the statistics add up? Is the ban really about "protecting" people, or is it merely an attempt to get re-elected and appease the media who have hyped these attacks?

There was recently an attack in Niagara, see the St.Catharines Standard Sept 27th, but it was not a pitbull.... it was a German Shepherd. Do you now ban all large breeds, including those famous for being Police dogs? Do you ban any breed that has ever attacked a human? Small dogs (i.e American Eskimos, and Jack Russells are known for being agressive, but are not the nasty-looking dog that the media loves to trounce on. I wonder what the stats are for Jack Russell attacks?

Maybe the government should instead be focusing on anti-animal cruelty laws (puppy-mills, abused dogs, fighting dogs ), making those laws have teeth, instead of simple slaps on the wrist. This is where you will get most agressive dogs from, puppies being abused, dogs being abused to be agressive. Why not instead of extincting a breed of animals punish those who's dogs attack? Make them pay the medical bills, work lost time, give them jail time, and ban them from ever owning another animal? But, no it's easier to ban breeds, then to punish people because our legal system is such a joke (as is our government).

Once all the Pitbulls, Staff X's, Akita's, Rottie's etc... are gone what will be the next to go? Any dog can bite, most don't (including the ones listed above). What will be the next media darling.... German Shepherds, Husky's? You know it will be something that looks "scary", and will make people afraid. And all the politicians will jump on the bandwagon because it's easier to exterminate the problem then it is to correct the problem.

Hopefully you will take into account the other side of the story, not just the bandaid solution. You can put this in your pile of 4001 emails as a resounding "NO" to breed specific bans.******

If he doesn't get at least a few anti-bsl letters he's not even going to think twice about putting the legislation through. Let's make sure we're heard. Let's be the LOUD MAJORITY. Let's not let him ignore us!!

LavenderRott
September 30th, 2004, 03:38 AM
Argueing with Mr. Bryant is a waste of your time. He has his agenda in place and will do whatever it takes to make his goal. If you honestly think that he is reading a single e-mail that has been sent on this subject then you are deluding yourself. That is what he has staff for. Every single person I know who has e-mailed him with anti BSL information has recieved the same form letter back. He is not listening.

The answer is your local MPP's. Your local city council. Your local newspaper. Get stories written in the press. Positive stories.

Make sure that any letters you write are fact based and not emotional. Yes, your dog might be banned. You still need to sound like you know what you are talking about, not like someone who is in a panic. No one is going to take you seriously if you write from your heart. You have to give them something serious to think about.

I know of an excellent group with some great information on file. If you want, you can pm me and I will send you the link. These are serious people who have been on the radio, been on T.V. and attended several meetings. They know what they are talking about.

Sheriffmom
September 30th, 2004, 11:03 AM
First of all I do not own a pit bull, I have sucky-poo english bulldog. :p
Secondly, Is it wise for a senior member to deflate the efforts (no matter how small they are) of a new member? To say they are wasteing their time, or deluding themselves? Isn't doing something better then sitting on your hands and doing nothing? Isn't getting involved the point? Didn't you ask people to sign the pitbull petition? How is that any more important then writing a letter to M. Bryant? (no matter what the content, as long as there is another letter in the pile marked "Anti-BSL"???) Other senior members are encourageing people to write M.Bryant, as well as others (MPPs etc). Maybe instead of making someone feel stupid, for the small way they thought they could contribute, you could offer more constructive advice. Thanks.
PS- I do appreciate your comments regarding less emotion more facts. (but if he's not reading them anyways whats the difference? Lol)

LavenderRott
September 30th, 2004, 04:34 PM
I am so sorry, I didn't mean to demean your efforts. I have spent so much time writing to someone who isn't listening and doesn't care what the real facts are. I have found that fighting the fight that way leaves you exhausted and wondering why you are beating your head on a brick wall.

As a whole, we need to find another direction. Mr. Bryant is using twisted statistics and has completely surrounded himself with anti-pitbull people. The local MPP's tend to be a bit more open-minded, or at least willing to read what we have to say about it. If we can get a majority of them on our side it certainly couldn't hurt. I don't know a lot about Canadian government, but I don't think that Mr. Bryant can pass this type of law all on his own.

Please, keep writing. Keep voting on every poll you see. Sign every petition you can find. All I am saying is that you concentrate your efforts on people who are actually interested in facts and not a personal agenda.

BTW, there is nothing sucky about an English Bulldog. I think they are quite cute.

Sheriffmom
September 30th, 2004, 04:55 PM
Thanks so much LR, I figured you were just frustrated. I know I get frustrated, and sometimes come across a little short when I feel I've been banging my head against the wall all for naught!!
By the way just to clarify... My little Sheriff is a sucky-boy, not his breed!! He needs his momma around all the time, loves to cuddle and is scared of dinner plates :p He really is very cute, but he is such a mommas-boy!!!

LavenderRott
September 30th, 2004, 05:00 PM
That dog is entirely too cute!

Sheriffmom
September 30th, 2004, 05:00 PM
Most of the time.... except when he's in Monster Mode!! :D

Loki
September 30th, 2004, 07:25 PM
I was having the same discussion with a friend the other day, and they mentioned an interesting angle to this. I admit that at first I dismissed it, but the more I think about it- it may be a good idea.

I just wanted to float it out there to see what people think:
( Warning, I have to talk politics for a bit)

It was pretty obvious, in the last election, that Ontario handed Canada over to the Liberals. The Conservatives know that they MUST have Ontario votes, if they ever want to run the government. Since minority governments usually don't last too long, we are probably headed to the polls within the next couple of years. I know that federal and provincal are two entirely different things, but both the federal and provincal Conservatives desperately want Ontarian votes.
I believe that most Liberal Mpps will sit on any anti-ban information that they recieve, but a Conservative Mp would be much more likely to be sympathetic.
It is in their best-interest to shoot down anything the McGuinty government does( Mr Bryant is part of this Liberal government).

Hypothetically, what if we were all to send emails to John Tory.
I would think that it is much more likely that the truth would see the light of day, since it is in his best interest to attack anything that Mcguinty does. ( He will be running against him in 2007)

Also, what if in those emails we were to imply that we are former liberal voters, who feel so betrayed - that we would be forever indebted to the party that saved our dogs.

I just want to clarify, I am not telling anyone to vote a particular way.
I am just suggesting, that we give that impression.

I just think that 2000 emails in Bryant's hands will just meet his delete key, but 2000 emails to opposition about -The cost, uselessness, suffering etc of this ban, might actually hit the media.

Just a thought...

Akeeter
September 30th, 2004, 08:06 PM
McGuinty is gonna save us from our dogs, our sushi, & ourselves, if he has to alienate every voter in the province to do it!

Sheriffmom
September 30th, 2004, 09:23 PM
I think writing to John Tory, and other high ups in the party would be a great idea. Maybe (for those of us who have the passion, but not necessarily the creative writing skills :o ) some of you who are both good letter writers and know the facts really well could write a template. Then those of us who suck at writing effective letters, could tailor them a bit and send them on.
In past I have experienced a positive result with this form, as it allows people who blunder their way through a letter (and sometimes having their thoughts and ideas misunderstood because of poor wording) to be able to participate and feel like they are truely contributing (not just making things worse!!)!!
The letter then could be tailored a little, so as not to be a carbon copy, and the government gets pretty much the same unified opinion!!
I could look up a bunch of emails and post them here, in order to do my part :) ... obviously I am one of those blunder-writers!!

Loki
October 1st, 2004, 06:12 PM
Goodpooch has a good article, and interesting idea:
http://www.goodpooch.com/MediaBriefs/GPunderattack.htm

moontamara
October 1st, 2004, 09:02 PM
BANTHEPITBULL, if you want to join a discussion, please READ all of the posts in the thread and respond to what is being written about in the thread. Writing one post about your feelings about pit bulls and then copying and pasting it to every thread at all related to pit bulls is obnoxious, and unhelpful. If you want to get into healthy debate here, go ahead, but no one will listen to you if you don't listen to them, and YOU'RE NOT LISTENING! No one here wants to promote pit bulls, even those who have a pit bull of their own that they love. These people aren't breeding pit bulls or even buying pit bulls from breeders -- they have all rescued pit bulls, and they deserve their opinions to be listened to. So at least READ THEIR POSTS and then respond to what is being written, if you have something to add. I'm not saying you have to agree.

Edited to add -- I am now going to go ahead and copy and paste this and add it as a response to all of your posts because I want to make sure you read it!!!