Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

ivomec dosage

vedo808
July 27th, 2011, 04:30 AM
Aloha, I'm a owner of 15 month old american bull terrier and she has demodex (red Mange) I was reading on how to get rid of this very frustrating pest, I haven't tried dips yet because of the toxicity. I put corona cream on her skin and tea tree oil it helps with hair to grow back but not get rid of the problem. I read that Ivomec daily can possibly get rid of the demodex an I wanna try this but don't know the right dosage, I already give her Ivomec Once a month(1st of every month) for her worming .1cc per 10lbs and shes about 65lbs. so if I want to start Ivomec to treat her demodex how much do I give her daily and how long does she stay on that daily dose?.. shes a part of my family and we don't want this to haunt her for the rest of her life!:frustrated::frustrated:

hazelrunpack
July 27th, 2011, 09:56 AM
Welcome to the board, vedo808.

Sorry to hear that your dog has mange. One of ours came to us at the age of 18 months with it and we were able to clear it up with Goodwinol ointment because her case was quite mild. However, you shouldn't try to treat it with topicals or with ivomec without getting some vet input. Depending on the severity of the case, additional measures may be called for. The same vet that diagnosed the demodectic mange should be able to give you guidelines on dosage and advice as to whether some other therapy should be added or used instead.

Demodectic mange develops due to a weak immune system, so you may want to talk to the vet about boosting her immune system, as well.

If the mange appears to be spreading or is already extensive, you need to act on this quickly since the condition can be fatal if it gets out of control.

vedo808
July 28th, 2011, 03:11 AM
thank you for your response.. she'll breakout with what looks like bumps sometimes just on one side of her body then the bumps go away but then it leaves her missing hair kinda spotty looking.I put a combination of aloe plant, tea tree oil & corona cream it helps with her hair growth but it's kind of a long process..but never tried goodwinol ointment is this something I can get over the counter or does it need to be prescribe by my vet because the only thing my vet prescribe was some very expensive flea and tick prevention you the kind you put from the neck to tail I forget the name of it?.. I seem to have control of it but I wanna to just get rid of this frustrating and unsightly pest!!!:sick:

hazelrunpack
July 28th, 2011, 11:44 AM
You can't diagnose mange by appearance alone. The vet has to identify the mites from a scraping.

If it were me, I'd talk to the vet again and ask for other alternatives if you can't afford the one that the vet originally recommended. Before you start any treatment you want to be sure that you're trying to 'fix' the right problem--we never saw any 'bumps' with Macie--just redness, then hair loss. :shrug: She was diagnosed thru scrapings and her mange was never very extensive. Goodwinol will only work for small patches--and it takes a long time. If your dog has a more extensive area of mange, you'll need something that works quicker and that you can use systemically.

So call your vet and confirm the diagnosis, have him give you the proper dose of ivomec or okay some other treatment. Demodex mange is really not something that you should fool around with because it can become severe and be fatal in some cases.

vedo808
August 4th, 2011, 03:29 AM
thanks for all your info!!.. she was about 5 months when she got scrape and I was told it was demodex. shes really healthy about 70lbs very shiny coat just every once while she get patches of hair missing usually small spots.. I'll take her to her vet an see if there's something else she can prescribe or if they can give me the right dose to treat demodex with Ivomec.. aloha:confused::pray: