Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat Constipation

LITTLEKEG
July 26th, 2011, 11:26 PM
Hi , I have a 6 yr old ginger tom who has been through the wars the last 2 weeks. His urethra became obstructed (diet and weight issues) and cure (cathertisation) gave him a bladder infection and the pain of that sparked asthma attacks. The medication for Asthma combined with muscle relaxants for his bladder have resulted in a loss of appitite. 2 of the sedatives reversed and made him high as a kite and crazy.

He is now peeing consistently, and last urinalysis was clear of crystals.

But now he isn't pooping. Last time was Saturday AM (they were normal) it is now Tuesday night. He doesn't SEEM in distress, isn't licking himself other than to clean goes to box to pee.

He has been to the vet 5 times in just over 2 weeks.. and now runs from the sight of his carrier!

The vet today asked me to give him a substance of petroleum jelly molasses and mineral oil (its prepackaged.. the name escapes me) to try to get things moving.. they want me to take him back in tomorrow to check it out, but the journey stresses him out so much i really don't want to unless i HAVE to.. as the stress may be why he wasn't pooping in the 1st place!

Any words of wisdom appriciated. He is eating now (though not as much as he used to) a wet food diet prescribed for the urinary situation.. has been on it 2 weeks.Over the weekend ate very little.

LK:shrug:

GervlJohnson
July 27th, 2011, 12:14 AM
Never had this issue but here are some natural ideas :)

http://drpollen.blogspot.com/2008/07/treating-constipation-in-cats-laxatives.html

Hope he gets better

lindapalm
July 27th, 2011, 09:32 PM
One of our cats gets constipated quite often, and we've had luck giving her Lazatone and Lactulose, both at the same time. They might take awhile to work, maybe your vet could give you them without bringing the cat in, he doesn't need any more stress.

LITTLEKEG
July 27th, 2011, 11:47 PM
just an update, he has pooped today.. :thumbs up just before he was about to be carted back to the vet.. litterally..! he has been ok today, but his appetite is still poor.. prob only eating half a can a day of wet food.. and the odd salmon snack!
any advise on how to get him to eat more is welcome.. if he doesnt get more water in him he is in danger of having his urinary probs return.. not sure i could cope with that!:shrug:

sugarcatmom
July 28th, 2011, 12:18 AM
just an update, he has pooped today.. :thumbs up just before he was about to be carted back to the vet.. litterally..! he has been ok today, but his appetite is still poor.. prob only eating half a can a day of wet food.. and the odd salmon snack!
any advise on how to get him to eat more is welcome.. if he doesnt get more water in him he is in danger of having his urinary probs return.. not sure i could cope with that!:shrug:

Yay for poopage! Oh what a relief it is :D.

As for getting him to eat more, try offering him different foods. Along with all the meds (is he on any antibiotics?), he might be bored of the prescription diet. Any of the good quality grain-free (and fish-free) canned foods from a specialty pet food store will be fine (add a couple extra tbsp of water as well). Wellness, Nature's Variety, By Nature, Addiction, Weruva, Merrick.... are all decent choices. You could also sprinkle the top of the canned food with pulverized freeze-dried chicken treats like Halo Liv-a-Littles or PureBites to entice him to eat more. It's extremely important that he get enough calories or he's at risk for developing fatting liver disease, especially if he's overweight (how much does he weigh?). I would advise staying away from fish though, if possible. It's contraindicated for cats with bladder or urinary tract problems.