Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Oriental Poppy

Marty11
July 25th, 2011, 08:28 AM
To all you gardeners....I have an oriental poppy that is gone to seed pods and the plant is now yellow. Can I trim this down now, what about the seeds, does this plant seed itself or can I remove the pods and share with others.

hazelrunpack
July 25th, 2011, 10:22 AM
I think you can trim it down and share the seeds--my Mom used to have oriental poppies and she'd do that all the time. I love them, but can't get mine to bloom. Weed-whacked down one too many times by an overzealous hubby, I think. :rolleyes: :laughing: But they still come up year after year, so they don't need to reseed.

Goldfields
July 25th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Marty11, I just keep an eye on the seed pods of all types of poppies and when they are dry and open at the top I cut them off and tip the seed into an envelope. Nice to be able to share seeds.

Dee-O-Gee
July 25th, 2011, 10:03 PM
I've never tried to gather the seeds but I cut my entire patches down 2weeks ago. I love oriental poppies but they take up soon much room and keep multiplying every year. :confused:

Melinda
July 26th, 2011, 08:59 AM
they reseed themselves....beleive me ...we have them all over our yard and we never planted any *L* they neighbours have them, they're in the field growing also....

hazelrunpack
July 26th, 2011, 10:16 AM
So why can't hazel get them to bloom?!? :yell: I'm cursed, I tell ya!!! Cursed with a moldy thumb!!! :cry: :laughing:

Marty11
July 26th, 2011, 11:45 AM
So if I cut them down there will be no seeds to "reseed" themselves? I want to keep them just trim them down cause it's a dead plant now.

hazelrunpack
July 26th, 2011, 11:54 AM
It should be a perennial, Marty11--no reseeding necessary. Mine never produces flowers, much less seeds, but they come up every year anyway. :shrug: So you should be okay sharing seeds. Or just save one of the seed pods and give the rest away.

mikischo
July 26th, 2011, 11:54 AM
As long as the leaves have turned yellow it is okay to trim them (once the leaves have have died they can be of no more benefit to the roots). The roots will remain alive and the plant should come back next year.

Here is some info on different ways to propagate oriental poppies:

http://www.ehow.com/info_8097736_perennial-propagation-oriental-poppies.html