Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Forum rules-private messaging

Love4himies
July 22nd, 2011, 10:00 AM
Marko/Dave,

I just read the forum rules and did not read any rules in regard to private messages. Or, if ALL rules of the open forum apply to private messages, such as rudeness, swearing, etc. etc. Would it be possible to have a paragraph in the rules on this? Also, it would be nice to know the privacy terms that are applicable to private messages.

Thanks.

marko
July 22nd, 2011, 11:35 AM
Sure. Private messages are exactly what the term implies, they are private. IF a member deliberately shares their private message, then it can become public. Aside from that private means what you expect it to mean.

There is one caveat - members can report rude private messages by clicking the report a private message icon at the top right of every PM. When (and only when) that happens the PM's content is revealed only to Admins and Mods. This is normal (for the software that runs this and most other boards or the option would be useless) and has been used mainly to protect our board from hackers/spammers/self promoters and rude people.

Rudeness should be avoided in Pms because this is a friendly forum and normal decorum should apply to Pms as well.
This particular "should" has not been incorporated into the official rules yet, partly because of the report a rude private message icon. It will be incorporated if need be.

I hope this answers your question, feel free to PM me if anything isn't clear.

Thx!
Marko

Love4himies
July 22nd, 2011, 11:57 AM
Sure. Private messages are exactly what the term implies, they are private. IF a member deliberately shares their private message, then it can become public. Aside from that private means what you expect it to mean.

There is one caveat - members can report rude private messages by clicking the report a private message icon at the top right of every PM. When (and only when) that happens the PM's content is revealed only to Admins and Mods. This is normal (for the software that runs this and most other boards or the option would be useless) and has been used mainly to protect our board from hackers/spammers/self promoters and rude people.

Rudeness should be avoided in Pms because this is a friendly forum and normal decorum should apply to Pms as well.
This particular "should" has not been incorporated into the official rules yet, partly because of the report a rude private message icon. It will be incorporated if need be.

I hope this answers your question, feel free to PM me if anything isn't clear.

Thx!
Marko

Thank you, marko.

I never noticed that "report" button. What I have found confusing is when a public post is deleted by mods/admin with the explanation that it was rude and should be a pm, kind of insinuates that rude PM's are OK.

I do understand the risk of a pm being passed on to others once you've sent it.