Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

another rescue question.

raingirl
September 29th, 2004, 12:57 PM
I recently decided that instead of searching over petfinder daily, I have started to send out a lot of e-mails asking various rescues about their dogs in general instead of one of their posted dogs. I have been giving them our general info (we live in an apartment, near a park, we are gone most of the day, first time dog owners, need a dog who is housetrained, need an easy to train dog, etc etc)

I'm, not sure this is the best thing to be doing as the few responses I've received have been kinda negative saying that you can't really leave a dog alone that long, and some have suggested getting a dog walker. I have no problems with getting a dog walker, but there aren't any in my city. That means hiring a neighbour which I don't want to do.

Is this the wrong way to do this? I know a rescue has the discretion to turn down a potential adopter, but we all have to work right?

mastifflover
September 29th, 2004, 01:11 PM
You are right we all have to work. I would suggest finding the dog you want and the apply to adopt it. The rescues are usually understaffed and overworked and applying in general means to them that they have to try and remember what you are interested in. Also not all the rules at each rescue are set in stone they do make exceptions if they think you would be the right owner for a dog and you dont have a fence but they feel you will exercise the dog enough they will make an exception. I don't really think they mean to come off negative. What type of dog are you interested in? Maybe we could help you find a suitable dog.

jackieb
September 29th, 2004, 01:24 PM
I know most places dont like you to leave your dog long hours but i know people who do and there dogs seem fine. Perhaps try speaking to them and telling them your situation you never know. I suggested the dog walking only caus ive seen it advertised here alot in cambridge but never saw it in England.
All the best with your search and hope you find a dog

raingirl
September 29th, 2004, 01:37 PM
I guess that's the problem...I don't know what dog I'm interested in (there is a significant other who has some say in it, but because I'm the one with money, I'm the one who is choosing the dog).

Some of the ones I like are the ones that *aren't* good for apartments or good being left alone (goldens, husky's, beagles, spaniels, terriers).

Others that I do like and *are* good for apartments and are good left alone are never found in rescues (bulldogs, daschunds) (then again, daschunds aren't recommended for kids though, not that I have any yet but I'm getting to that age).

And there are a few others I like, like boxers, but boxers are hard to train, and because I have no experience, the boxer rescue didn't recommend I get one.

I like great danes, and there are a few in rescues, and a lot of people say they are good for apartments, but I'm not sure it's a good "first dog" because of their size. I also don't know if they are good alone.

I guess that's why I was hoping that someone in a rescue might say "Ah ha!! this guy/gal will fit perfectly with you!).

mastifflover
September 29th, 2004, 01:46 PM
Great Danes are great in apartments they are usually big couch potatos and if you go for one about 4 he/she would settle right in. I have also found that older dogs are easier to train and not as high energy as younger dogs. Believe it or not some danes that I have met love to run and have lots of energy. I agree a boxer is not a first time owners dog. You need to be experienced and they are very high energy not happy sitting around all day. That is a little of a generalization but most that I know love to be out running and playing. Below are the links for the Great Dane rescues. Contact them and they will be able to help you get matched up they dont want these guys coming back they want forever homes and you could always foster with the intent to adopt. Good luck and keep us posted.
www.greatdanerescueinc.com
http://www.danesindistress.com

LL1
September 29th, 2004, 01:55 PM
There are 2 Doxie rescues with many dogs in need, and they do transport from the US regularly.

www.wienerdogrescue.com

and

www.c2cdr.org

Oakville Humane has a Great Dane but unfortunately, she doesn't sound right for your home, she is described as very very active and needing an experienced home, poor dog has been in 4 homes so far - http://www.oakvillehumane.ca/adoptions/online.html

tyr
September 29th, 2004, 02:15 PM
Here is another site you could try http://www.birchhaven.org/. Go to Avail. Canines - Rescue and Re-homing and click on adults. There is a Great Dane in their named Marmaduke who is 2 years old. The vet who does his check ups for this rescue has said, "whomever adopts this boy is getting a real prize of a dog!"

Actually, here is exactly what is posted on him.
'BHRR's Marmaduke' - GREAT DANE, believed to be Purebred- 24 months old, light fawn Male, stands about 29" and weighs 97.6 pounds as of Aug. 12th, neutered, basic obedience, utd on shots, on HW preventative, crate trained, housebroken, great with other dogs, cats, horses and children. He has not chewed or destroyed one thing while in our care. He is now being given free run of the house during the day if we are not here.

This sounds like the perfect dog for you based on what you have written. He seems like the perfect dog for anyone really. If I could adopt him I would snap him up in a minute!!! He is beautiful :D I just stared at his little picture for approx. 15 minutes one day - dreaming and wishing :)

Keep me posted on how things are going....

yvonnem
September 29th, 2004, 03:54 PM
you know, raingirl, there is something else you could try.......

go to the local spca and volunteeer as a dog walker/groomer/whatever. This will give you an opportunity to see lots of different kinds of dogs and maybe then you might find a specific breed or even a specific dog that just clicks with you and then with your partner.

It would mean a couple of hours work a week and I think it would be an invaluable way to learn more without actually having to get a dog.

When I originally planned to get a dog I was fortunate to have a friend who was a schnauzer breeder. She patiently listened to me saying I wanted a big dog, a rottie or lab or german shepherd and then she was really blunt and said that given my lifestyle, they were the absolute worst choices for me. Then she recommended either an english mastiff or a bernese mountain dog. I ended up with the mastiff and found that she was right on with her analysis of my needs. There used to be a website that asked you a bunch of questions and then made suggestions about breeds that would be suitable, but I don't remember what it is -- search for it (or maybe one of the others knows the url) and see what it says would be good for you.

good luck!

Yvonne

tyr
September 29th, 2004, 04:38 PM
Here is a couple of those Pet Selecters that I have used for fun before. There are many others - they are pretty easy to find in a search engine.

http://www.petnet.com.au/selectapet/dogselectapet.html

http://selectsmart.com/beta_all/

raingirl
September 30th, 2004, 10:03 AM
Thanks everyone for the info.

Yvonne, I would love to volunteer, but we do not have a local spca near us, nor any shelters/rescues.

I was thinking I would love to "borrow" or possibly foster a dog for a while to see if it works out.

Anyone want to lend me their dog?? (j/k)

On another note, I just got a nother *really* negative response from one rescue. It made me feel like the most horrible person on earth just because we have to go to work!! Gosh! Maybe the rescue person is older and doesn't realise that the younger generation these days are hardly getting by! Jobs don't pay well, education debt is high. I just want a dog, is that so hard to ask? I see all these lonely dogs and it makes me sad. I just want help. :(