Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Skunk repellant

Dog Dancer
July 18th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Anybody know of one?? We've always had the odd skunks around the neighbourhood, but unfortunately a couple of young skunks have discovered my bee hives. They have been coming at night and eating the dead bee's out front. Now that in itself isn't a problem, the dogs can't get into the garden where the bee's are, but they come up the driveway to get into the yard. On Saturday night Shadow got out of the car and found one! :eek: Fortunately for all of us Shadow is very mellow. She was on one side of the driveway gate that I was closing (totally unaware that there was a skunk sitting beside it...) and the wee thing was on the other side. They were literally no more than two inches apart. I was so sure the thing would spray, but I guess because of it's age it didn't think to protect itself since the dog couldn't quite get to it and wasn't acting aggressive. Halo would have gotten sprayed for sure, but she went straight inside for a drink. I will be putting some carpet tack strips out in front of the hives to deter them, but am open to any other suggestions. I'm hoping they will find better eats elsewhere. I can't let the dogs outside to pee by themselves at night anymore for fear that the skunks may be on their way in for dinner.

Oh and we also seem to have a wasp nest under the stairs in the rafters somewhere. Can't see it, but they're going in there and are quite aggressive little buggers. Go figure 400,000 bee's in my yard and Halo gets stung by a wasp! She was not a happy girl to say the least - she was shaking like crazy until I got it off her, but a cookie settled her right down. This morning I sprayed the general area and will do that several more times.

hazelrunpack
July 18th, 2011, 05:12 PM
I've heard mothballs will repel skunks, but I've never had to try it. And, of course, you have to keep them out of places the dogs can get into...just in case, like us, you have one that will ingest almost anything... :frustrated:

Dog Dancer
July 18th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Interesting Hazel, I didn't think of that. I do have some around in the garage somewhere from trying to deter the moles with them. It didn't work :frustrated:. Sadly with the moles we've had to resort to killing them with a trap. I will not try trapping (live trapping) skunks though. Will dig out the moth balls, the dogs don't go in the back of the yard, it's fenced off because of the bee's (and the garden). And yes, we have Halo who is a lab and as we know, they'll pretty much eat anything, but moth balls would surprise me!

hazelrunpack
July 18th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Brier holds endless surprises for us.... *sigh* We still have the plastic guards over the toilet paper rolls so he doesn't strip 'em to the tube :p He would eat mothballs if he had a chance :rolleyes:

The moth balls didn't work with the moles? Bummer... :frustrated: I'll scratch that off my list, then... We have pocket gophers this year that are even worse. If you ever figure something out, let me know, pls :D

Good luck with the skunks! I hope the mothballs work :fingerscr

Dee-O-Gee
July 18th, 2011, 08:47 PM
My FIL bought this motion sensor gadget from Lee Valley Tools (gosh, I love Lee Valley! :lovestruck:)

Anyway, he had a real problem with skunks so he set this thing up precisely for their height and everytime one walks within 20 feet of the sensor, it shoots out a jet of water from the hose directly in their path. So far this year, he hasn't had any major problems with them. :thumbs up

With the weather being the way it is right now, I probably wouldn't mind being blasted by a jet of water myself! :D

Melinda
July 18th, 2011, 08:51 PM
mothballs don't work *L* take my word for it, when I caught our skunk in a live trap (I was trying for a damn cat) the skunk had carried a moth ball in with her *L*

hazelrunpack
July 18th, 2011, 09:21 PM
:laughing: Okay, so scratch the mothballs off the list... :p

klm, I've been looking all over for one of those thingees--I want to set up a couple to deter our thievin' raccoons... :o

Dee-O-Gee
July 18th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Is it o.k. to post the Lee Valley link? :shrug:

http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?p=44958&cat=2,51555&ap=2

It's a little expensive but it has saved time and money on lawn repairs and keeping the critters out of sight and they ship to the U.S. too! :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
July 18th, 2011, 10:28 PM
That has possibilities! Thanks, klm!

Dog Dancer
July 19th, 2011, 01:09 AM
That may be a good idea for us too, and it would water the garden!

TeriM
July 19th, 2011, 01:59 AM
I love Lee Valley :lovestruck:.

You might also try some very bright motion activated lights as most skunks seek out darkness. Riley and Sam both got skunked in our back yard last year by a baby skunk. It squished through a spot in our fence that even our cats don't fit through. I fixed the spot with some additional snow fencing and so far (touch wood, cross fingers) no more skunk activity. Our neighbours across the street just had some skunks nesting under his front stoop :eek:.

I recently heard great things about a product called Skunk Odour Remover that is made by Earth Friendly Products (also make shampoo etc) and is supposed to be great. I am gonna pick up some "just in case".

Last year we used this recipe which worked pretty well. I ended up throwing away the collars and the garage reeked for a week cause that is where I called the dogs into out of our backyard to get them away from the skunk.

Quarter cup baking soda
Tblsp dishwashing liquid (Dawn)
One quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide
Mix together and massage into coat. Leave on for ten minutes. Rinse and repeat if necessary.

I must say that it didn't do the greatest things for the dog's fur. A lot of his undercoat bleached out quite a bit.

Good luck :goodvibes:.

Melinda
July 19th, 2011, 06:24 AM
I find "skunk off" works great, and I also love princess auto *L*

marko
July 19th, 2011, 09:01 AM
Great info KLM - thx.
Just as an fyi - It's always okay to post links to help other people. :goodvibes:
What has never been okay is to post links for self promotional reasons/friend promo etc.

I think getting a couple of foxes or a wolf or a cheetah would also deter a skunk :laughing: my bad. just clownin' :clown:

Dog Dancer
July 19th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Marko, I thought about trying to corral one of our neighbourhood coyotes in the back yard! I have heard that they don't like the lights either (apparently party coloured flood lights aren't bright enough as they came trotting through my big tent last night with no regard for the lights...) but I'm going to have to get some floods out there.

I'm having a BBQ this weekend for 150 people and I really don't want the skunks wandering through - that could be a disaster!

Teri, lucky you - both dogs at once! That's what I'm afraid of. I do keep several bottles of peroxide and baking soda and such out in my garage bathroom "just in case" and fortunately haven't had to use them yet. I don't care if the dogs bleach out some, so long as they don't stink!

Thanks for all the great ideas though guys. I'm going to look for all the products suggested.