Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I'm really kinda pissed :(

edwina
July 12th, 2011, 09:03 AM
I have been taking in cats for along time now, and i am getting older and want to kinda retire, i will never retire completely, but i want to take a rest, its been crazy sometimes on the amount of kittens i have had to re home in the past few years. But that isnt what i am pissed about. My boyfriend/husband's parents are in there late 70's, and after my boyfriend moved out of there huge house, and in with me, they decided to get another cat. They adopted, which i thought was great. They talked to me about it , and they said they wouldnt be able to get a kitten because they wouldnt be able to keep up with it, and i said well it would be better for you to get a older cat anyway. What do they bring home ????? A year and a half old female. I am pissed. They may have this cat if there lucky 10 years or so, she could live twice that. Where will she go. Probably here. Maybe i am being mean, but they should have thought about what they were doing. I am not trying to offend any older people either, i am 43, not my style, but when you get older you should think about things like this. It was really nice that they adopted , but later after it gets adjusted to there home, may have to be uprooted again. I just had to bitch. :(

chico2
July 12th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Edwina,you are right,I am old and although I am crazy for kittens and cats in general,I am not having any more cats.
Even the 2 I have,Vinnie is only 9 yrs old and will more than likely outlive me and hubs,that worries me..

edwina
July 12th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Edwina,you are right,I am old and although I am crazy for kittens and cats in general,I am not having any more cats.
Even the 2 I have,Vinnie is only 9 yrs old and will more than likely outlive me and hubs,that worries me..

I would definetly take Vinnie, chico, if you want. :lovestruck::D

Love4himies
July 12th, 2011, 09:21 AM
I would definetly take Vinnie, chico, if you want. :lovestruck::D

You'd have to fight me for them :p

I agree, Edwina, even a 1.5 year old kitty is hard to keep up with and they should have looked at rescuing a senior kitty :frustrated:

Melinda
July 12th, 2011, 09:22 AM
my mom is 74 and just got her first kitten a year ago next month, he was 4 weeks old when she took him from kids at a park (long story), its given her a second life, if something happens to my mom (god forbid) any one of us 4 kids would be more than thrilled to have this cat live with us, its a part of her, my daughter has said from day one that Brina lives with her if something happens to hubs and I and its in our will with provisions, same as mom has done with her cat, and as much as I like cats in other peoples homes, I've never wanted another in my home...but hers, I'd take, Brina loves him.

edwina
July 12th, 2011, 09:51 AM
my mom is 74 and just got her first kitten a year ago next month, he was 4 weeks old when she took him from kids at a park (long story), its given her a second life, if something happens to my mom (god forbid) any one of us 4 kids would be more than thrilled to have this cat live with us, its a part of her, my daughter has said from day one that Brina lives with her if something happens to hubs and I and its in our will with provisions, same as mom has done with her cat, and as much as I like cats in other peoples homes, I've never wanted another in my home...but hers, I'd take, Brina loves him.
Melinda i understand this, for one she is only 74, my boyfriends parents have about 5 years on her. Also it sounds, even though you didnt give detail , that it was a rescue. :angel: But i already have 11 cats, all are rescues, and my boyfriend has 1 brother, and he has dogs, and wont be able to take a cat in. So the only place for her to go is either back to the shelter, or here. :(

edwina
July 12th, 2011, 09:53 AM
You'd have to fight me for them :p

Ok i am ready to rumble. LOL :laughing:

Melinda
July 12th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Melinda i understand this, for one she is only 74, my boyfriends parents have about 5 years on her. Also it sounds, even though you didnt give detail , that it was a rescue. :angel: But i already have 11 cats, all are rescues, and my boyfriend has 1 brother, and he has dogs, and wont be able to take a cat in. So the only place for her to go is either back to the shelter, or here. :(

oh believe me Edwina, I completely understand your point also, my husband and I say Brina is our last dog, she's 6 and I'm almost 53, so another 10 yrs with her (knocks on wood) and we'll be retired, do we really want to take on more responsibilities? I get at least one call a week for a dog to help place, I know what its like to have everyone think you can work miracles...I wasn't speaking out against your rant, just showing you the other side also.:)

marko
July 12th, 2011, 11:14 AM
I totally understand your frustration.
The only thing I might suggest is that many people don't want to think about their own mortality...even though we all should. That may be playing a part here.

14+kitties
July 12th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Man, retiring? At 43? Ok dok!!:thumbs up:thumbs up
Now - let me tell you a little story. It may give you cause to reflect.
I have a friend who recently lost her grandmother at 97. Her grandmother had an 11 year old and a 3 year old cat. I am prepared to take those cats if need be. But who am I to tell anyone they can't have a pet? Yes, an older cat would have been nice. But the heart wants what the heart wants.
I have quite a number of years on you Edwina. I also have quite a few more cats than you. Retire? Not any time soon. I love my life and the cats way too much to say ok, enough is enough. They help keep my young.
May I suggest when you are rehoming these cats you are also preaching spay/neuter big time? That in itself may help in cutting down your responsibility. I understand there are quite a number of low cost s/n clinics in the States. That should help a lot.
Please don't think I am lecturing. I'm not. Maybe just looking at it from another view point. :shrug:

edwina
July 12th, 2011, 12:11 PM
Man, retiring? At 43? Ok dok!!:thumbs up:thumbs up
Now - let me tell you a little story. It may give you cause to reflect.
I have a friend who recently lost her grandmother at 97. Her grandmother had an 11 year old and a 3 year old cat. I am prepared to take those cats if need be. But who am I to tell anyone they can't have a pet? Yes, an older cat would have been nice. But the heart wants what the heart wants.
I have quite a number of years on you Edwina. I also have quite a few more cats than you. Retire? Not any time soon. I love my life and the cats way too much to say ok, enough is enough. They help keep my young.
May I suggest when you are rehoming these cats you are also preaching spay/neuter big time? That in itself my help in cutting down your responsibility. I understand there are quite a number of low cost s/n clinics in the States. That should help a lot.
Please don't think I am lecturing. I'm not. Maybe just looking at it from another view point. :shrug:

Believe me, if i had alot of money, i would have a dozen or more shelters. But i dont. And i just need a break right now from the amount of kittens that show up on my doorstep. ( If only they could stay tiny, they would eat less :D ) I do preach spay neuter, whether it helps or not, not sure. The main reason for a needed break is my fathers leftover bills. Once i can get back in the groove again, then maybe i can keep going, right now, i cant.
I am not against older people getting animals, just because you get old, doesnt mean you have to give up everything. I just thought it would have been more responsible for them to adopt an older cat, since they were older, and there usually the ones put to sleep first, why i dont know. :(

14+kitties
July 12th, 2011, 12:36 PM
I hear you on the money thing. Lots of bills here too. But we do what we do I suppose.
If possible could you do some groundwork and find a few rescues that could help you out? That way instead of you feeling you have to take these cats/kittens people bring, you could lead them gently to the path of the rescues. You've done your part for them.
Take a break. Sounds like you could use one. :thumbs up