Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

She was sprayed - skunked???

canadiangirl
September 28th, 2004, 10:03 PM
Ahhh! And I was the one just two weeks ago saying how we have never had problems with our cat hanging around outside!

Tonight she (my cat Bonnie) was sprayed with something! It honestly doesn't smell like skunk (at least the skunk you smell when you pass a dead one at the side of the road) but it definatley has a real musky smell to it, and she had a yellow blotch on her neck where I think the spray initally hit. We washed her twice with pet shampoo and are leaving her in the basement over night (it breaks my heart not to have her sleep with me).

Does the tomato juice solution work? I saw a solution on this website that mentioned hydrogen peroxide but I am assuming this is unsafe for cats? The funny thing also is that our dog was outside with her and he is fine!! Could she have been sprayed by a tom cat?

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated - I love to cuddle my cat and hate having her so stinky! :eek:

krdahmer
September 28th, 2004, 11:44 PM
Oh that really sucks...I've never had it happen myself to any of my pets, but my ex-farm-boy husband swears by it. They used it on the pets and themselves when a skunk got too close for comfort!!!

Lucky Rescue
September 29th, 2004, 09:35 AM
Most likely, if your cat was sprayed by a skunk, you would know it. The odour is sickening and unmistakable! :eek: She could have been accidentally sprayed by a tomcat.

I had a dog skunk sprayed, and tomato juice does not neutralize the sulfur in skunk spray.

The hydrogen peroxide mixture is the best, just be VERY careful to keep it away from the pet's face.

De-Skunker (http://home.earthlink.net/~skunkremedy/home/sk00001.htm)

mastifflover
September 29th, 2004, 09:40 AM
The peroxide solution works the best make sure you leave it on for about 8-10 minutes. The only way the tomato juice works is if you dry it with blow dryer if you leave it wet it does not do anything execpt piss the animal off having to get another bath.

krdahmer
September 29th, 2004, 11:47 AM
Hmmm good to know... :)