Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Heavy breathing, weak cat :(

wtfisgoingon
July 1st, 2011, 11:04 AM
One of my cats, Meekers, is 7 years old. She has always been very tiny and thin compared to most cats, and her sister is 3x her size. However she's always been happy and healthy. She would get tired and breath heavy after a few minutes of play or running around, and her heart would pound fairly hard. However she would recover quickly, and this would only be after a few full minutes of intense playing/chasing with her sister, she would be fine walking around the house (they are house cats never go outside).

In the past few days I've noticed that she doesn't move very much, when she does (for example walking across the kitchen floor) she'll flop over and breath very heavy (approx 50-60 times per min) like she used to after a lot of running and playing. Except now she cannot walk across the room and jump up on the bed or couch without being totally winded, and it takes her more than 10 minutes before she recovers. Even when she has 'recovered' she still breathes fairly deeply but more like 30 times per minute. I have listened to hear breathing and it sounds normal there is no rasping or wheezing. Her heart pounds and sounds strong, and doesn't flutter or anything that I can hear.

In the last 2 days she has barely eaten, she tries to eat but the food falls out of her mouth and it takes her more than a full minute to eat 1 little piece of hard food. So I switched to soft food which she eats but not very much (although she has never been a big eater, she is very thin always has been). Finally this morning I called her over and she came over and I picked her up to cuddle her. But she seemed to be in pain because she squirmed and jumped out of my arms to the ground then tried to run away. She only made it about 10 feet before she fell over, her back legs gave out and she literally fell right over. :( It took her about 90 seconds before she could get up and continue to her spot to lay by the door.

Her sister is just fine, and very big and active, completely normal.

They are both spayed and have their shots.

She has always been very thin, and has had horrible breath (kinda like a hot garbage dumpster smell). When I went to pick out cats, I was told "this one is a runt you don't want it" and I fell in love with her as soon as I was told that, I knew she was a runt and might have issues later in life and it seems its happening now.

I am trying to come up with the cash to goto the vet but I only get paid once a month and it will be weeks before I can have the money. Even though I cannot afford it I will probably spend the money anyways on the vet because she is important to me. I do not have any family, credit cards or anyone that I can borrow the money off of or I would. I put in a request at work for an advance but they don't really like doing it, however I stated my case and will find out monday. Until then I'm just wondering what others might have for advice.

Thank you in advance for all replies and for reading this. Its heartbreaking and I feel horrible for not being able to help her. :(

hazelrunpack
July 1st, 2011, 11:11 AM
Welcome to Pets.ca.

Unfortunately our members are not vets and unable to address potentially serious health issues like this one. Time is critical - please contact a vet immediately. Perhaps you can find a vet that will take payments on installment.

Good luck, we'll watch for an update on your pet's condition.

In keeping with site policy, this thread will now be closed.

marko
July 1st, 2011, 11:19 AM
I'm sorry for your cat's condition but this sounds like an Emergency for sure.
Please find a way to get her to the vet - today would be best...and hopefully you might find a vet that will arrange something w/you moneywise.

Good luck!