Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bringing Puppy Home with Two older cats

Mysts38
September 28th, 2004, 04:15 PM
We are going to be bringing our pup home on thanksgiving weekend,and we have two older cats..Now with Cujo,he was 2 years old when we got him and had exposure to cats....he tried to make friends,but of course he got swatted.

Is it a good idea when we bring pup into the house,to maybe leave her in her traveling kennel for a little bit to let the cats sniff around? I know when she is in her crate,they will have lots of chances to sniff and check her out..

I know she may get swatted eventually,but I want to make the transition as easy as possible..

Thanks for any ideas and help! :)

dmc123
September 28th, 2004, 08:12 PM
They will make their own rules, but introduce them carefully. Don't let the pup invade the cats' territory.

They will be fine...good luck...

TalonsMa
October 4th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Hi there! We've got two cats, and just recently got a puppy (in Aug). Our cats are old and goruchy :-)) 10 & 6 yrs old. When we brought the puppy home, we had her in her crate. We put the crate down (door closed) and let the cats go up and sniff it. Of course they weren't too imprssed, but at least they weren't mad at my husband or I because we were not carrying the pup. For the most part the pup is crated, or in her her pen, and the cats won't go in there. Solara doesn't have free reign of the house, and is with us in the house, so we do not allow her to chase the cats (they HATE that!!). One other thing, hide your cats food, cuz the pup will eat it....LOL

glasslass
October 4th, 2004, 06:00 PM
We feed Puss-Puss on the scratching post Platform. It's too high for Den-Den to reach. When he was 10wks old, she was eating with her tail hanging straight down. Older cat, young puppy. If you can imagine this small puppy leaping up to grab her tail and catching her unaware. :eek: She came down almost on top of him and promptly boxed his ears! :D I knew they would eventually be alright though when she didn't use her claws. :rolleyes: