Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Provincial Ban?

tyr
September 28th, 2004, 04:18 PM
I just read an article in my local paper on how there is the discussion of putting out a Provincial ban in Ontario against Pit Bulls?

What are they going to do with all of the dogs in Ontario with homes and without?

How can they force people to give up a beloved animal?

How can they shove an animal who has not done anything wrong into another Province or State? That is what they will do....right?

LavenderRott
September 28th, 2004, 04:27 PM
Well, the city of Windsor put passed their pit bull ban last night and owners of pit bulls have until the end of October to have their dogs microchipped, neutered and insured. What will happen to dogs that do not me the above requirements after that time is anybody's guess. And yes, they could be impounded and euthanized.

Every ban is different and I have seen everything from existing dogs being grandfathered in or having a week to get rid of dogs or they would be pts.

There are several threads already addressing this. Do a search, then read some more.

tyr
September 28th, 2004, 04:47 PM
I have heard and read on the Toronto ban but I have not heard of anywhere else as of yet. The Windsor ban is new to me. I do not have time to go through all the threads. I am usually only in this forum as I keep this page open as I work just to see what pops up when I get some down time.

It sounds as if you are irritated because I am not caught up on this subject? If so I appolgize if this bothers you.

I posted this thread so that I could hear what other have heard on the subject as I was extremely saddened by the news.

I have two friends that are Pit Bull owners and I do not believe that they know of this.

Any information any one could give me in the meantime - before I have time to do a full search on my own - would be really wonderful.

I just have not had the time. Thank you for caring enough to respond to my concerns.....

LavenderRott
September 28th, 2004, 05:54 PM
Nope, not irritated at you at all. I just have a lot on my plate right now.

You can find the other thread here...http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=6889

There are a couple of useless posts, but once you wade through them there is some good information.

lezzpezz
September 28th, 2004, 07:14 PM
Just an FYI....London is next on the chopping block. Council will be holding public meetings in Oct. to discuss and eventually decide whether or not to ban pit bulls et al and muzzle the rest. Do these politicians not listen to what the dog professionals have to say at all? I watched the Windsor newscast this morning and the head of the local Humane Society spoke against a specific breed ban, as did several other professionals. The vote was 6 to 4 for the ban. They also banned 3 other breeds of dogs. Does anyone know what the other breeds were??

I bet a lot of folks are miraculously going to have "lab/boxer" crosses or some kind of non pit bull dogs! I know I would!!

melanie
September 28th, 2004, 07:54 PM
quote'microchipped, neutered and insured'

that is a pretty good idea, chipping is already a requirement here. at least they are not saying kill them all like a witch hunt, at least they have offered some solution other than the death of animals. :D yay for them for actually using or finding their brains instead of the good old fear tactics and kill em all attitude.

Spurby
September 28th, 2004, 10:04 PM
quote'microchipped, neutered and insured'

that is a pretty good idea, chipping is already a requirement here. at least they are not saying kill them all like a witch hunt, at least they have offered some solution other than the death of animals. :D yay for them for actually using or finding their brains instead of the good old fear tactics and kill em all attitude.

All that is a good idea, but you forgot to add that they want to muzzle pit bulls as well, and ban them. Not good. Once they start muzzling one breed, others will most certainly be added to the list, same as banning. The death of animals will surely happen, as all breeds that are banned will be PTS in the shelters, and owner surrenders will rise. Responsible breeders of the APBT will suffer, as will their dogs. I wonder if the CGC APBT's visiting nursing homes will be muzzled? How sad :(

tyr
September 29th, 2004, 02:09 PM
The other breeds that are to be taken into consideration for a Provincial wide ban are Rottweilers, Japanese Akitas, Staffordshire bull terriers and American Staffordshire terriers. They are also thinking about banning the American Bull dog because they believe that it may have "Pit Bull genes" - which it does not. What is this world coming to? Just because there are a few bad dogs out there it does not mean that they should all be penalized and suffer the consequences. This has to do with the owners who train their dogs to be this way or their lack of training. It also has to do with owners who beat these dogs consistantly to create mean kill machines for "protection". It is interesting to see the systems lack of interest in dangerous criminals such as rapists yet put all of their concerns and efforts into banning a type of dog. I think instead of being a**holes and taking their boredom out on banning mostly defenseless animals they should focus more on putting a smackdown on the animal owners. Create rules and laws that are more srtict and stick to them - the problem is not the dogs it is the system. They need to make rules and enforce them. The microchip is a great start. Microchip them so that when there is a dog that goes out of control you can find the owner without any problems and investigate the situation. If it is do to with poor "parenting" which in most cases it is - make sure that it is the owner that deals with the consequences not the dogs. We need a bigger solution than a ban, but I guess they are to lazy to want to actually do their job better.

Thank you for the link LavenderRott - I will definitely take a look. Did some research on the internet this morning. I got up extra early this morning for some extra down time so that I could further look into the issue. My friends that are Pit Bull owners do not watch TV or read the papers. They spend all their time reading books and loving and playing with their 2 dogs. I do not think that they have a clue about what has been going on lately concerning this. I did not either until yesterday when I finally saw something about it in my local Newspaper.

They are saying that 6 out of 10 people want a ban but they do not mention where they got these statistics. I do not think they have really got them from anywhere, they are just trying to look like they have support. And if they have come from somewhere, I am sure it is a very biased survey.

How do we, the people against the ban, speak out and try and stop this madness? They have not made it a concern that is readily available for opposition from the people.

LL1
September 29th, 2004, 02:18 PM
Can I ask where you saw/heard this? Is it online? Thanks!
The other breeds that are to be taken into consideration for a Provincial wide ban are Rottweilers, Japanese Akitas, Staffordshire bull terriers and American Staffordshire terriers. They are also thinking about banning the American Bull dog because they believe that it may have "Pit Bull genes" - which it does not

tyr
September 29th, 2004, 03:22 PM
Yeah, I did my search on this on-line this morning. I went to google.ca and typed "Provincial Pit Bull ban" in the search engine. It was in one of the first 5 posts brought back. I believe it was the very first one actually, titled "Provincial Pit Bull Ban Needed".

You should read all of the posts on the first page - it is really quite insane as to what is going on right now. I feel like I have been so blind and deaf to what has been going on lately in regards to the futures of these poor dogs.

sammiec
September 29th, 2004, 03:30 PM
I haven't been able to find the article that refers to other breeds that might be banned. Can you please provide us with a link?

LL1
September 29th, 2004, 03:32 PM
I was on google and can't find it - can you post a link? I'd like to see who is saying what breeds are being considered specifically. Thanks so much!

lezzpezz
September 29th, 2004, 03:50 PM
FYI. I just found this one. Sorry if it's old news, but it was news to me.

Why breed bans don't work, from professionals that know!

http://www.cfhs.ca/Programs/programs/NCAC%20Statement%20Eweb.pdf.

LavenderRott
September 29th, 2004, 03:59 PM
Now if only the politicians would read this stuff. Mr. Bryant is avoiding experts who try to tell him these things.

lezzpezz
September 29th, 2004, 04:06 PM
Well, why don't we ALL send him a copy.....ah, cut and paste, my favourite! If a few hundred of us do this, maybe, just maybe he might read it.

LavenderRott
September 29th, 2004, 04:15 PM
To be honest, dealing with Mr. Bryant is a waste of time. You need to work on the representatives for your city/town. Work on educating them. Try to make an appointment with your MPP. If you need a list, I can get you one.

lezzpezz
September 29th, 2004, 04:16 PM
I'm already all over it as we speak. Surfing the City of London website to see who will be my first victim....

LavenderRott
September 29th, 2004, 04:20 PM
My best advice for writing letters like this is to be non-emotional. Stick to facts that you can back up. You want the reader to be impressed with the information and not turned of by an apparent Animal Rights nut. Remember, there were inquests done after the James Waddell attack and the Courtney Trempe attack. Both juries had suggestions that would work in curbing dog bites and non of the suggestions involved banning breeds.

lezzpezz
September 29th, 2004, 04:25 PM
Yes, I am just going to submit this document to the appropriate department to "make sure they have it" on record. I'm most certain that some other local and vocal animal rights groups have beaten me to the punch with this one, but it doesn't hurt to refresh councils' memories and highlight that there are folks out there that actually know what is best in this situation.

I am not planning on making any waves, just pointing out the juicy stuff that should definitely not be overlooked and ignored.

Sheriffmom
September 29th, 2004, 04:43 PM
Why stop with Pit-Bulls? Why not just ban any breed that has ever bitten anyone? Or Better yet Ban any breed of any animal that has ever bitten someone?
I can see it now, a killing spree against sharks, bears, raccoons, foxes. Oh wait, that was already done. And look at all the good it did them.
I think maybe if they ban a breed, first and fore most they should consider the human species. We seem to wrought a hell of a lot more damage then a couple of breeds of dogs!
It's seems safer to be a human serial killer, then it is to be apart of a certain breed of dogs. The governement surely knows where to put their foot down to help society at large!

mastifflover
September 29th, 2004, 04:47 PM
I have emailed it to many of our useless govt. elected fools I did not call them this but it is the way I feel about most of these politians who do nothing but collect a paycheque. I hate being nice to people who truly do not give a rats a$$ about us or our concerns. But I held my tongue. But I must tell you something I heard last night from these guys who hang out near my loft with their pits. Most of these kids are good to the dogs and they are not aggressive I have met them and spoken to them numerous times. When I first saw them I questioned them if their dogs were aggressive and they all said no, except one and he said his dog was abused and can be aggressive with other dogs so he has him on a short leash and harness and seems to be in control. They were saying that they do know some idiots and they want to have Michael Bryant attacked by a pit if he enacts this breed ban. How sick is that. This is the mentality of these stupid owners and this is the reason things like this breed ban will happen

lezzpezz
September 29th, 2004, 04:50 PM
Hi there. As a resident of the city of London, and a dog owner as well, I wanted to take the opportunity to send you a document written by some Canadian professionals, those being the Canadian Veterinary Medical Association, the Canadian Kennel Club and Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council of Canada.

The following is a document they produced in March, 2004:

http://www.cfhs.ca/Programs/program...ment%20Eweb.pdf.

I hope you will read this and take it into account when future decisions are made regarding possible breed bans in the city of London, Ontario.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

tyr
September 29th, 2004, 05:17 PM
These are just a few of the links with articles that I have read earlier today. The first one is where they mention the other breeds to be banned. Although, it is only mentioned as a possibility in New Brunswick. I had seen it mentioned ealier in other articles concerning the whole of Ontario, but low and behold I cannot find it. The reason New Brunswick was even mentioned in the article concerning Bryant is because he is considering putting a ban on other dogs as well. It has been the talk of my office today, but until I can find the other articles mentioning these other breeds it is now just heresay.

It is funny to do a search on this topic because I find that I am reading more articles against the ban than for it....does this mean something?

As well, here is Mr. Bryant's email address. He said that he wants to hear from the people on this issue whether they have a story to share or an opinion. I am not sure what good it will do, but I am hoping enough. He is the one who is putting the pressure on the Province wide ban so he should be one of the ones we contact. Let them hear what we have to say. In the meantime we should all be looking into contacting our regional MPP. michael.bryant@jus.gov.on.ca

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1096367177892&call_pageid=968332188492&col=968705899037&tacodalogin=no

http://news.google.ca/news?q=provincial+pit+bull+ban&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=nn&oi=newsr

http://considerthis.onlinedemocracy.ca/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=188

http://members4.boardhost.com/OPHC/msg/1641.html

Copper'sMom
September 30th, 2004, 10:36 AM
I wonder if I will have to muzzle my dog when he's in my Jeep? He loves going for rides so when the weather is just right I take him to the grocery store. He sits in the Jeep and watches all the people come and go. He likes this! The windows are down just enough for him to stick his nose out. He can't reach any one if they are walking by unless they stick their hand in the window. If they touch my Jeep, they are touching personal property. So if he did bite.... who's fault is it?? I highly doubt he would bite as he loves people..unless they scare him. I always lock my doors as I'm afraid someone might steal him or just let him run loose. He does look intimidating to some people, but he's nothing more than pussycat!