Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My Dog's Not FAT!

pattymac
June 27th, 2011, 12:31 PM
That's one thing that makes me PO'D!! Ok sure, she's not in sled dog shape...but I can still feel ribs and she's still got that indent behind her ribs but she's not fat. This person, she's the one who got the Shepherd pup, has 2 other dogs, both small and her female is about 15 pounds overweight! Bayley could stand to lose about 5 pounds and tone up.

Hmmm...oh well! I won't be around here when her pup...so far, I haven't seen her out walking around with her or taking her places. Should be pretty exciting once that dog gets a bit older and isn't socialized!!

Golden Girls
June 27th, 2011, 01:00 PM
So ... someone said your dog was fat? I use to hate when anyone but more so a stranger tell me mine were overweight! More then not they themselves needed to lose a few :yell:

Dog Dancer
June 27th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Hmmm, now I feel guilty. No, not really. One of my neighbours came by a few weeks ago with their 9 year old black lab. Sweet old girl of 9. Now that dog is fat! She needs to lose a good 25 lbs I'd guess. I told them they needed to do something about her weight in the kindest way I could. I pointed out the issues we are having with Shadow with her arthritis, and that if Shadow was carrying the weight their dog was I have no doubt in my mind that we'd have to put her down. There's no way she could walk without pain with that weight. And yes, I too could do to lose 20 lbs. But, yeah, I'm guilty of telling my neighbours their dog was too fat. :o But theirs really is! Sorta goes with the theory of not asking a woman if she's pregnant unless you can see the head!

Goldfields
June 27th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Some people just can't tell if the dog is fat if it has any sort of coat at all. Cattle dogs are not long coated dogs but do have a double coat and the same person who was calling one of mine fat before she moulted said ,straight after her moult, "Gee, you got the weight off her quick". Yeah, I brushed out her undercoat. LOL.
I waylaid a Judge at a show who inferred she was fat and asked , ever so politely, if he could tell me how more much weight he thought she should lose, and as he went over her he started saying "That's muscle, that's muscle" - pity he couldn't feel that in her class, hey? Anyway, he then said he just wanted a dog that fell away more all over, so his choice had been this narrow liitle thing that the owner had told me she was having big trouble with, trying to get it to eat. Go figure. LOL. So, Patty, he was a supposed expert, and he had physically felt all over these dogs and couldn't tell the difference between fat and muscle, I wouldn't expect a lot from a pet owner. If your dog has a waist (the indent behind the ribs) and you can still feel the ribs, it's fine. Tell your friend to feel the dog.

pattymac
June 27th, 2011, 10:13 PM
hehe she's afraid of Bayley...so I doubt that will happen..funny she's afraid of Bayley and has herself a Shepherd pup that could top the scales at 90 - 100 pounds! Oh My Oh My!!

Claudia36oh
June 27th, 2011, 11:07 PM
I have two lean Field Golden's and then there is Chloe the female Golden, my vet thinks she is too big, I think she is just build different then the boys...I don't think she is too big, I think my boys are too skinny and always try to add some pounds to them:D

Longblades
June 28th, 2011, 09:02 AM
That's weird, isn't it? Someone with fat dogs thinks yours is fat? When I get that, I get too skinny, it's from someone with the opposite, too fat. Since Labs are one of the most poorly bred breeds, by BYB, and there are tons :( of too large, too heavy Labs around, I get it a lot. My boy is in standard, lean and svelte and folks think he is too small and too thin.

reanne
June 28th, 2011, 08:48 PM
I get the same comments about my "skinny" dogs too-lean, well muscled Ridgeback and Ridgeback-cross. To snarky people, I often respond with "No, my dogs are healthy. Your dog is too fat and will likely have many health problems and a short life span." Probably not too nice of a response, but oh well! Sometimes I try to educate people on the fact that many dogs should be much more lean, and people just feed their dogs too much and don't exercise them enough.

.unknown.
July 7th, 2011, 03:56 PM
ARGH! I know how this feels. MY dog recently gained weigh, but someone commented on how it was good because she was too skinny before. Obviously they don't know what a dog in good condition looks like.

It's a curse, but I guess it's just something you have to learn to accept. Some people are dumb and like to talk for the sake of talking. No sense in arguing with and idiot!