Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

shaving off dogs whiskers?

brandes
June 27th, 2011, 10:10 AM
my dog is a golden doodle, the big kind, 90 pounds and since it is summer we usually shave him once a year around this time. usually when the people we go to shave him they only trim his tail and head area, which i personally dont like, i think it looks weird, so this time i want to ask them to shave his head and tail aswell, but i am just wondering if this is a bad thing, since i know dogs use there whiskers for something. would it be bad to cut his whiskers off? since its very hard to target the hair around the whiskers, the groomers dont have time for that, i assume they will grow back in about 2 weeks, and since golden doodles have hair that dosnt stop growing i think it would grow back faster? anyways, opinions? if i am able to do this i will only be doing this once a year

hazelrunpack
June 27th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Whiskers are more than just thick hairs--they're tactile sensors. It's not a good idea to have them shaved off. They won't grow back until the next time the follicles start a growth phase which is going to take a lot more than 2 weeks.

Melinda
June 27th, 2011, 11:13 AM
there is no harm in shaving a retrievers or a poodles whiskers, I take it your dog is a mixed breed of both? Cats whiskers are a totally different story, but ask any groomer and they'll tell you they automatically shave them when they are being groomed (haircuts). It is very painful to pluck them which some people have been known to try.

Marty11
June 27th, 2011, 11:24 AM
I don't know about the whiskers, but my friend had her golden's tail shaved and the dog was full of sores from wagging her tail along the ground and such.....no don't shave the tail just hand clip it short.

brandes
June 27th, 2011, 12:14 PM
yes it is a mixed breed, do you think it would look weird if he had his face and body shaved but is tail left a bit? for some reason i cant picture him like that and plus i dont know much about dog grooming at all

marko
June 27th, 2011, 12:50 PM
AFAIK - Although yes you can cut a dog's whiskers, it's not the same as a haircut even though groomers do it all the time.

I'm a big believer in Nature, and Nature put them there for a reason even though some dogs seem to do fine without them....Given that pet dogs are domesticated they may not rely on those whiskers as perhaps they once used to, but rest assured they are not equivalent to hair even though no screams occur when they are cut.

again AFAIK some dogs DO use their whiskers to "inspect" objects up close...and I'd bet hard that feral/wild dogs use them more often than domesticated dogs.
:2cents:

brandes
June 27th, 2011, 01:24 PM
what if i just trimmed it realy short, so the folicles are still there?

marko
June 27th, 2011, 01:35 PM
I'm just guessing here, but "Nature" probably decided on their length as well.

The longer the whisker is, the farther it can be away from the object needing inspection.

If you did ask your vet about this point, you could be sure that many of us would be extremely interested in the vet's answer.

brandes
June 27th, 2011, 01:50 PM
well i dont know what nature was thinking with my dog but the lenght of his hair dosnt stop growing, for his breed anyway thats how it is, so i assume his whiskers are like that too, his eye lashes are crazy long, hes 4 years old.

and i cant beleive i didnt think of that, i should call my vet and ask lol